Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Why buy American

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 01:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why buy American

It seems that everyone knows that we have a huge trade deficit. And this huge trade deficit is not good. Bush wants to force the opening of markets in other countries. The democrats want to create tariffs. It is clear from these feelings that everyone knows there is a problem and it must be fixed.

Now it seems to me that some middle ground between these two scenarios will probably be reached. There probably will be some additional tariffs and in any case there must be pressure on other countries to reduce their trade barriers. To ignore the problem and suggest it will go away seems to be ignoring reality. This is not some propaganda, it is reality.

If we accept there there must be a problem with the trade deficit, then it makes only sense that we can help to reduce it by buying products that have higher American made content. We can also reduce it by increasing our exports. However, right now, I am not able to increase our exports, but I can easily spend my money on products that have higher American made content.

And for the numbers for ONE MONTH: In April 2005 Exports: $106.4 Billion; Imports: $163.4 Billion
The trade deficit for ONE MONTH is $57 billion and growing!!

Old 07-12-2005, 01:27 PM
Pro Rider
Default Why buy American

I agree with you 100% Bryce. What's best for the American people.

Old 07-12-2005, 04:17 PM
Pro Rider
Default Why buy American

let's not bring other posts into this, as I can expose some more bias and ignorance on your part

I have not said one bad thing about the Polaris product in this post, so quit blowing smoke again.

so Bryce buddy, good neighbor, patriot, tell everyone why you bought foreign designed and manufactured snowmobiles

Old 07-12-2005, 06:07 PM
Pro Rider
Default Why buy American

Originally posted by: propnut
let's not bring other posts into this, as I can expose some more bias and ignorance on your part

Once again the name calling. It is not possible for you to post with a reasonable argument is it?

I have not said one bad thing about the Polaris product in this post, so quit blowing smoke again.

When you bring up a post about a Polaris military contract only to inflame the thread, then I will blow smoke in your direction.

so Bryce buddy, good neighbor, patriot, tell everyone why you bought foreign designed and manufactured snowmobiles

I am suprised you call me your buddy considering all the names you have called me on both this thread and all the other threads. Since you follow me around on ATV connection like a shadow, and trash me whenever you can, it is unlikely I will ever be your buddy or your good neighbor. As far as the sleds; these sleds are 7 years old. And I was quite up front with my purchase early in the thread in my very first post.

Old 07-12-2005, 07:20 PM
Pro Rider
Default Why buy American

Once again the name-calling. It is not possible for you to post with a reasonable argument is it?
Were's the name-calling? Because I said you were being bias and showing ignorance is not calling you an ignorant or a bigot.

When you bring up a post about a Polaris military contract only to inflame the thread, then I will blow smoke in your direction.
I did not bring it up to inflame the thread, but to point out to someone (besides yourself-ish) that presented an argument of “unfairness due to subsidies to other foreign countries” was in itself - unfair, and I did not call him a hypocrite - see no name calling. But at last you admit you argue by blowing smoke (and relying on emotions). Take it easy there buddy.

I am surprised you call me your buddy considering all the names you have called me on both this thread and all the other threads. Since you follow me around on ATV connection like a shadow, and trash me whenever you can, it is unlikely I will ever be your buddy or your good neighbor. As far as the sleds; these sleds are 7 years old. And I was quite up front with my purchase early in the thread in my very first post.
Take it easy there pal. Why are you bringing other threads into this? We've posted on the same thread maybe 3 times? And I posted on the subject first in at least two of those (including this subject)? That’s shadowing you? You have more than 4 posts a day. I’d say I’m quite far behind if you think I’m trying. I really just don't have the idle time to keep up to you.

But again, you haven’t answered the question. Why did you buy a foreign snowmobile? Did you only recently become discriminatory in your buying habits?

Old 07-12-2005, 11:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Why buy American

Originally posted by: 440EX026
As for my Armada, show me another SUV with a 5.6L Gas V8 that is rated for 9100lbs. BTW...I pulled 9600lbs without a load distributing hitch 380+ miles from Port Clinton with no problems. Regardless of your bias, there are some excellent import vehicles. Thank you to the Nissan workers in Mississippi that built my truck.
Sorry for bringing up older stuff, but I had to take a break from this and was away for a little.

Anyhow your armada is still ugly [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Na na na na na LMAO

Oh and it is still a nissan (or is it really still datsun [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] )
Sorry, I also had to chime in on this... a 5.4L Expedition is rated to tow 8900 lbs... I'm sure throwing a couple hundred extra pounds on there won't make a difference. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Or you could just buy the Excursion, which is the same price as your Armada (assuming MSRP - and you would definitely not pay that much), has more power, more room and has more options at the same price. Then you could easily tow over 11,000 lbs. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] And, best of all it's made with almost all American parts. Your Armada is probably ~35% American parts sourced, where the Expedition and Excursion are both 85% plus, and all the profits generated from the Fords stay in the U.S.

Old 07-13-2005, 01:17 AM
Pro Rider
Default Why buy American

Originally posted by: Jason8225
Originally posted by: 440EX026
As for my Armada, show me another SUV with a 5.6L Gas V8 that is rated for 9100lbs. BTW...I pulled 9600lbs without a load distributing hitch 380+ miles from Port Clinton with no problems. Regardless of your bias, there are some excellent import vehicles. Thank you to the Nissan workers in Mississippi that built my truck.
Sorry for bringing up older stuff, but I had to take a break from this and was away for a little.

Anyhow your armada is still ugly [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Na na na na na LMAO

Oh and it is still a nissan (or is it really still datsun [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] )
Sorry, I also had to chime in on this... a 5.4L Expedition is rated to tow 8900 lbs... I'm sure throwing a couple hundred extra pounds on there won't make a difference. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Or you could just buy the Excursion, which is the same price as your Armada (assuming MSRP - and you would definitely not pay that much), has more power, more room and has more options at the same price. Then you could easily tow over 11,000 lbs. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] And, best of all it's made with almost all American parts. Your Armada is probably ~35% American parts sourced, where the Expedition and Excursion are both 85% plus, and all the profits generated from the Fords stay in the U.S.
First off, I am already towing 9600lbs so I am already aver the limit. At the time, the Expedition did not have that tow rating. The Excursion is way too big and is being taken out of production because of lack of sales. Therefore, the resale value would very likely suffer tremendously. My last SUV was a Ford (Mercury Mountaineer). While it was a very comfortable vehicle, I had several problems with it including the transmission. Not good for a new vehicle.

My next door neighbor works at KTP (Kentucky Truck Plant) and has the same year and model. He said the cause was because Ford tried to save a few bucks with some of the parts and had to do a recall. If I was to buy a truck, it would have been a Ford with X-Plan. However, I will not be guilted into making a purchase, especially that large, because the content is "more" American.

It's quite amazing that he NEVER gives me any grief for buying a Nissan, and we are friends. They had some people over from the plant when I had the 350Z and they were all commenting about how great the car was. The kept bringing up the fact that Ford just doesn't build cars like that.

BTW...The Armada is 65% American and that percent IS increasing with each production year and built by AMERICANS in Mississippi. The plant in Mississippi has been a God send to those in that state and NO AMERICAN COMPANIES were considering them.

It is really easy for the "buy American only" crowd to criticize publicly, yet own foriegn products privately.

You may want to consider my signature as well. There are many capable competitors out there including the YFZ which is arguably the best machine in the size/price range. Yet, I bought and stayed loyal to Polaris with the purchase of 2 other machines.

Old 07-13-2005, 01:40 AM
Pro Rider
Default Why buy American

Bryce and Pred,

Good to have you guys back again. Still a very interesting debate. I'm glad the others are sticking around too.

Pred, and any others for that matter,
Are you saying you only choose based on price and quality? Surely you consider the home grown factor? If price and quality are close, I'll buy American.

And why did you stay loyal to Polaris Pred, and not buy the YFZ?

Old 07-13-2005, 02:03 AM
Pro Rider
Default Why buy American

Originally posted by: Lukester
Bryce and Pred,

Good to have you guys back again. Still a very interesting debate. I'm glad the others are sticking around too.

Pred, and any others for that matter,
Are you saying you only choose based on price and quality? Surely you consider the home grown factor? If price and quality are close, I'll buy American.

And why did you stay loyal to Polaris Pred, and not buy the YFZ?
Luke, to not have a sense of pride in my country's pruducts we be terrible and it simply isnt true. I have been smart enough to have bought and sold products internationally. Regarding my Pred, I was leaning toward the YFZ. It feels like it is easier to control in jumping and needing the front end to be light over obstacles. It is also, IMO, faster, if not the speed is more under control. Price only enters into any purchase I make to a small degree. But, when you consider added reverse, Fox Shocks, steel braided brake lines, better wheels and tires, along with a better price, it made sense as a better all around value. NO ONE HERE has ever heard me say that there aren't some outstanding American companies. GM simply isn't one of them in my opinion. Ploaris seems to be. Harley Davidson is. Ford is on the verge of doing some great things.

Thanks Luke!

Bryce, please note, the Predator is cheaper than the YFR and Raptor.

Old 07-13-2005, 04:07 AM
Pro Rider
Default Why buy American

Were's the name-calling? Because I said you were being bias and showing ignorance is not calling you an ignorant or a bigot.
LOL, that an interesting way to look at it.

I did not bring it up to inflame the thread, but to point out to someone (besides yourself-ish) that presented an argument of “unfairness due to subsidies to other foreign countries” was in itself - unfair, and I did not call him a hypocrite - see no name calling. But at last you admit you argue by blowing smoke (and relying on emotions). Take it easy there buddy.
LOL, I would hardly call this contract an example of an unfair subsidy of a US company.

Take it easy there pal. Why are you bringing other threads into this? We've posted on the same thread maybe 3 times? And I posted on the subject first in at least two of those (including this subject)? That’s shadowing you? You have more than 4 posts a day. I’d say I’m quite far behind if you think I’m trying. I really just don't have the idle time to keep up to you.
LOL, To those not familiar with my first run in with propnut, look here Transmissions

But again, you haven’t answered the question. Why did you buy a foreign snowmobile? Did you only recently become discriminatory in your buying habits?

Good point propnut. I am actually not happy that I bought the two sleds. My first choice was two Polaris XLT touring sleds. However, I bought late in the season and was unable to get the XLTs. My jetskis on the other hand, are Bombardier because neither Polaris nor Artic Cat built three person Jetskis at the time. For us, two person jetskis are not useful because we cannot ski, tube or board behind them. My buying habits includes 30 years of buying toys and cars. The only foreign car I ever bought was a well used Datsun 240Z. The other 20 vehicles that I bought were from US companies.

I am glad to see you now have no hard feelings seeing that you are now calling me buddy and pal. I look forward to a long and friendly posting relationship with you! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Why buy American