Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Why buy American

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 01:10 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why buy American

Lukester, I have nothing but the utmost respect for you (and your family for their sacrifice). Don't let Bryce give you the idea that I am against American products. I am pro-American in every aspect of life including the global economy. But let's face it, everyday manufacturing in the US can't hold a candle to our high tech military suppliers which are the best in the world.

I have a retail store in Radcliff, KY. We are the closest wireless store to Fort Knox and most of my business comes from soldiers. Because they come in and buy a Nokia or Sony-Ericsson phone does not make them or anyone else a bad person. My only point behind my posts is to show that being a part of a global economy is the absolute BEST thing for our country. Hell, another KY company, Yum Brands, is expanding in China like crazy. My buddy just got back from there adopting a baby girl and he said he saw numerous KFCs and Pizza Huts.

I don't think the government should help business in any way globally except to level the trade playing field.

Old 06-07-2005, 01:36 AM
EAB
Pro Rider
Default Why buy American

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The fact is you are dead wrong about most of what you quoted. You obviously do not understand the concept of a GLOBAL market. Yes, I would love to see the trade deficit lower but not by reducing imports. I want to see exports go up. It will dramatically increase our economy. Otherwise, we can no longer prosper as an island.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I dont think he was talking about "exports", I think its about exporting jobs, like when GM fired 400 people here in Phoenix to move their accounting to Jamaca so they could pay the people $2.15 an hour, and teach them to speak without an accent, and to not tell the caller where they are located (outside the US).

Old 06-07-2005, 01:37 AM
Pro Rider
Default Why buy American

05PRED500, No problem. You most certainly are not a bad person for being a good capitalist. No one here in their right mind would think so. This is business the way you know it. You and BryceGTX have made this topic into very good reading.

I don't know so much about this stuff. I do know I'm old fashioned in many ways. I was raised in a small town, with small stores, and small farms. The American tractor, quality U.S. stuff Dad use to buy, good American pride - I just won't let go easy.

Old 06-07-2005, 09:02 AM
Pro Rider
Default Why buy American

Originally posted by: 05PRED500

Simply preaching "Buy America" isn't going to do it anymore for the average consumer anymore.
I bet our economy, country, and the American businesses would do much better if more(I wish most) Americans would buy domestic made/owned products. Look how it was in the 50's, you hardly saw a foreign auto, and the economy then was REALLY strong.

"Buy American" does make a difference to mostly the people that it affects most, i.e. manufacturing type jobs. It seems the sales/service sector could give 2 cents about that since they are looking for the buck.

Old 06-07-2005, 11:32 AM
Pro Rider
Default Why buy American

Originally posted by: sp600towtruck

Simply preaching "Buy America" isn't going to do it anymore for the average consumer anymore.
I bet our economy, country, and the American businesses would do much better if more(I wish most) Americans would buy domestic made/owned products. Look how it was in the 50's, you hardly saw a foreign auto, and the economy then was REALLY strong.

"Buy American" does make a difference to mostly the people that it affects most, i.e. manufacturing type jobs. It seems the sales/service sector could give 2 cents about that since they are looking for the buck.
Where are you going to find the employees and companies to build all of these products and components? Current unemployment is only 5.1% and going down. Besides, American companies DO NOT WANT to build low margin widgets. So, basically what happens in this scenario is inflation goes through the roof and then the value of current wages go down. We really need foriegn sources to help keep competition up and inflation down.

Again, the solution is to continue promoting our products overseas. Think about how huge the markets are in other countries. They dwarf our small population.

Old 06-07-2005, 11:40 AM
Pro Rider
Default Why buy American

Originally posted by: EAB
The fact is you are dead wrong about most of what you quoted. You obviously do not understand the concept of a GLOBAL market. Yes, I would love to see the trade deficit lower but not by reducing imports. I want to see exports go up. It will dramatically increase our economy. Otherwise, we can no longer prosper as an island.

I dont think he was talking about "exports", I think its about exporting jobs, like when GM fired 400 people here in Phoenix to move their accounting to Jamaca so they could pay the people $2.15 an hour, and teach them to speak without an accent, and to not tell the caller where they are located (outside the US).
I realize that. I hate losing American jobs. As a business owner, I am dependant upon people having good paying jobs and a good economy.

GM just announced that they are cutting 25,000 jobs and closing plants. Obviously what they are doing now is NOT working. It might be time to quit operating like an old fashioned company and start operating with some innovation and better global marketing.

So I ask...If GM increased their global market share by 1% would they have to eliminate ANY jobs? Of course not, they would be expanding the current work force.

We will not win at home with only 300 million people selling less desirable cars. GM can't survive that way.

Old 06-07-2005, 01:32 PM
Pro Rider
Default Why buy American

The fact is you are dead wrong about most of what you quoted. You obviously do not understand the concept of a GLOBAL market. Yes, I would love to see the trade deficit lower but not by reducing imports. I want to see exports go up. It will dramatically increase our economy. Otherwise, we can no longer prosper as an island
I don't think you can infer from anything I have posted that I am against a global market. Clearly as I have stated already, increasing exports is one of the best things we can do. But clearly increasing domestic manufacturing, reducing imports and increasing exports is even better!! Seems to me this is just commmon sense.
When I spoke of what I get in benefits, it is only a representation of success which IS passed on to my employees. They are smart enough to recognize that a 401k is NOT the end all. My employees are among the highest paid in the industry. Many of them are considered contractors which, if properly administered, is a great benefit for both parties from a tax standpoint.
I specifically asked you a question!! The question was... What benefits do your employees get? The reason I asked this question was to make a point that your employees do not get benefits that are as good as most manufacturers employees because you are a small business. The point is that it is not so great to work for small business.
am really not sure which textbooks you think I am quoting from, but you should really read more financial periodicals. They give great CURRENT information. It is not the 70s any longer and world trade is the way of the future.
It was not me that started talking about micro and macro economics.. Once again, you are assuming what I do and don't read or think. I find this thinking quite strange.
The current unemployment rate is only 5.1%, which is relatively low. How exactly would shutting out world trade result in SIGNIFICANTLY lower unemployment. Manufacturing is but one sector. Seriously...think about it.
I didn't say we should shut out world trade. LOL, I consider exports to be the most beneficial. Seems to me that 5.1% is not zero. Therfore, it is always capable of going lower.
Obviously you do realize that manufacturers are required to post US content percentage for EVERY car, right? Do a little research on moth domestic and import vehicles. The line has been blurred by both.
Domestic content has already been posted on this thread. If you don't agree with the figures, why don't you provide more accurate figures for us?
I am well aware of the administration of 401Ks. However, anyone that has 100% individual stocks in their portfolio is an idiot. Most mutual funds have hundreds of holdings so check again. It is HIGHLY likely the you have an import automaker in a large cap fund or international fund.
I am amazed that you are saying this. Now you know my complete investment portfolio!!!! ROGLMFAO... I am speechless...
BTW...Toyota is one of the most cash rich companies in the world with over $19 billion in cash on their balance sheet. I have read $1.5 billion is in cash. How much of Toyota do you think is owned by US citizens?? Contrast that with GM. People stand in line to work at the Toyota plant here in Georgetown, KY.
It is nice that Toyota has so much money. It only supports my argument further that domestic auto manufacturers need support from us. As far as people standing in line for jobs. This happens at any big manufacturing facility. This is nothing new for any plant. People want jobs; people want money. Last time I checked many families are two income families. No new news here!!
If you put all US auto manufacturing workers on commission based on quality, quantity sold, customer satisfaction, buyer loyalty, and most of all profitability the industry would be saved in a year. Otherwise, people will continue to pay more money for imports. As it stands, Ford and GM make progress and then they fall back behind in a rollercoaster cycle. They need to step up efforts in all aspects to compete. The imports are even starting to eat away at the strongest segment...trucks.
What the heck are you doing running a dinky business... You should be CEO of GM. Have you ever applied for the position? Does Toyota pay their worker based on commision? Then why should GM or Ford? Do you think that GM and Ford are just sitting still doing nothing? I am sure they do not have anyone as smart as you on their payroll, but they are struggling the best they can against the onslaught of the imports.
I am no minister, but the logic of not sending all of our dollars off shore to "cash rich" companies such as Toyota only requires common sense to understand. When Japan buys GM products, maybe I will be more receptive to Japanese products.
BTW...I sell many American products especially my high end audio equipment and as much as possible in wireless with Nextel/Motorola-sort-of US made).
That is good to hear!

Once again I would like to point out that when we buy high off-shore content Hondas, Toyotas and Nissans, we are sending many dollars over seas. The problem with sending dollars over seas is that normally these dollars would be spent on goods and services. That spending would be taxed by local, state and federal taxes. Then the reciever of those dollars pays his employees who buy more goods and services. This train of buying, spending and taxing continues on many many times. When the dollars are shipped over seas; the buck stops there...
BryceGTX

Old 06-07-2005, 01:38 PM
Pro Rider
Default Why buy American

Originally posted by: sp600towtruck

Where are you going to find the employees and companies to build all of these products and components? Current unemployment is only 5.1% and going down. Besides, American companies DO NOT WANT to build low margin widgets. So, basically what happens in this scenario is inflation goes through the roof and then the value of current wages go down. We really need foriegn sources to help keep competition up and inflation down.

Again, the solution is to continue promoting our products overseas. Think about how huge the markets are in other countries. They dwarf our small population.
Last time I check GM and Ford are actively pursuing off shore manufacturing in China and Europe. Or don't you read the latest financial news?

Old 06-07-2005, 01:41 PM
Pro Rider
Default Why buy American

Originally posted by: EAB

I realize that. I hate losing American jobs. As a business owner, I am dependant upon people having good paying jobs and a good economy.

GM just announced that they are cutting 25,000 jobs and closing plants. Obviously what they are doing now is NOT working. It might be time to quit operating like an old fashioned company and start operating with some innovation and better global marketing.

So I ask...If GM increased their global market share by 1% would they have to eliminate ANY jobs? Of course not, they would be expanding the current work force.

We will not win at home with only 300 million people selling less desirable cars. GM can't survive that way.
Last time I check GM has been building in Europe for as long as I can remember. You need to also read a little history.

GM NEWS:

GM Europe - GM Europe's revised 2005 second-quarter production forecast is 503,000 vehicles, up 3,000 vehicles from last month's guidance. In the second quarter of 2004, GM Europe built 503,000 vehicles. The region's initial 2005 third-quarter production forecast is 403,000 vehicles. In the third quarter of 2004, GM Europe built 411,000 vehicles.

GM Asia Pacific - GM Asia Pacific's revised 2005 second-quarter production estimate is 396,000 vehicles, up 6,000 vehicles from last month's guidance. In the second quarter of 2004, GM Asia Pacific built 337,000 vehicles. In addition, the region's initial 2005 third-quarter production estimate is 414,000 vehicles. In the third quarter of 2004, GM Asia Pacific built 314,000 vehicles.

GM Latin America, Africa and the Middle East - The region's revised 2005 second-quarter production estimate is 195,000 vehicles, down 12,000 vehicles from last month's guidance. In the second quarter of 2004, the region built 172,000 vehicles. Also, the region's initial 2005 third-quarter production estimate is 199,000 vehicles. In the third quarter of 2004, the region built 185,000 vehicles.

General Motors Corp. (NYSE: GM), the world's largest automaker, has been the global industry sales leader since 1931. Founded in 1908, GM today employs about 321,000 people around the world. It has manufacturing operations in 32 countries and its vehicles are sold in 200 countries. In 2004, GM sold nearly 9 million cars and trucks globally, up 4 percent and the second-highest total in the company's history. GM's global headquarters are at the GM Renaissance Center in Detroit. More information on GM can be found at www.gm.com.

Old 06-07-2005, 02:12 PM
Pro Rider
Default Why buy American

Don't forget these figures;

The AP reported that General Motors Corp. chairman and chief executive Rick Wagoner received $12.8 million in compensation last year, including stock options, as the company reinstated cash bonuses for all its top executives.

Quick Reply: Why buy American