Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

He gave back two crappy Preds!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2003, 09:05 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default He gave back two crappy Preds!!!!!!

Hi everyone,
Seems like I have stirred up a hotbed of controversy. That was really not my intention. The more and more I read about all this it seems the biggest part of the equation keeps coming back to the the rev limiter. I admit I did not remount my stock exhaust can, who the hell would want to??? I would have to rejet....AGAIN.....and I really don't want to do that. My motor pulls really hard as it sits now. I mean it will keep up with and beat many different quads out there. It just goes POP at the TOP!!!

I am starting to think that the factory CDI boxes may be of very poor quality control. They may be set so tight within a set parameter that making routine high performance changes may cause the rev-limit to invoke and the timing to retard. Once that happens, any minor jetting issue will be compounded by the pressure at 8000+ rpm. Since I have seen many TOTALLY stock Preds go popping on by...and some modified ones that have no such popping, I am starting to deduce that it may be a quality control issue with the CDI. Or maybe the ETC switch may have some part in this...

I would just like to hear an answer from POLARIS INDUSTRIES, not some speed shop that is selling something, or offering to fix it for a small fee, but just the factory. I am going to write them a certified mail return receipt letter requesting info on the the warranty related issues on the CDI (not that I expect them to respond!). ONCE AGAIN, I bought this Predator because it was an AMERICAN company, not the "I don't give a crap about you- Japanese". Hell, if I wanted to buy Japanese, I would have just bought a new Banshee...I like 2-strokes, it's a great duner, and a Yamaha that doesn't blow up it's tranny every third or fourth weekend....

I'm interested in your thoughts about all this...

JJ

Old 03-16-2003, 09:22 PM
Pro Rider

I would just like to hear an answer from POLARIS INDUSTRIES, not some speed shop that is selling something, or offering to fix it for a small fee, but just the factory. I am going to write them a certified mail return receipt letter requesting info on the the warranty related issues on the CDI (not that I expect them to respond!). ONCE AGAIN, I bought this Predator because it was an AMERICAN company, not the "I don't give a crap about you- Japanese". Hell, if I wanted to buy Japanese, I would have just bought a new Banshee...I like 2-strokes, it's a great duner, and a Yamaha that doesn't blow up it's tranny every third or fourth weekend....
I'm with you, I bought from an American Company by choice, but I can't keep buying for just that reason. They need to provide quality products and service.

By the way, none of my 4 Polaris quads are United States made. Generation III's are Canadian. Polaris says these are "American" made - North American that is. Also my 2 mini Polaris are Tiawan in orgin.

Then again, look at Cannondale they had qualitys product and service. Now chapter 11. It would be nice to say that patriotism and business complemented each other, but it doesn't seem to be that way.

Come on Polaris Industies - Americans want to support you!!! Give us a little support back.

Old 03-17-2003, 09:37 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JJ, sorry about that. I forgot that you can get them with the slip on right from Polaris. From all the posts, it does sound like something funny happening with these. How about a bad run of CDI units?

Old 03-17-2003, 11:57 AM
Pro Rider

Interesting observations guys. Keep the data and information flowing.

My Pred, totally stock except the W/B slip-on, has never popped once.

Sea level to 3000 feet of rip snorting full power face hurting grinning excitement.

JJ, have you checked your float level? Especially how people say its popping on top RPM's?

Being an american company, to meet american emissions standards, the float levels on some quads were set real low to make them run lean.

Its odd to note, that either you've got a great running Pred, or its a popping Pred......

I highly doubt a "Bad Batch" of CDI boxes........solid state electronics either work, or are smoldering lumps of carbon and smoke.

Though, maybe they changed the software "bios" and rpm curves through the production batches..........?

Mine simply rips, so I'm glad for that.

Old 03-17-2003, 12:05 PM
Trailblazer

Hi everyone,

That's what I think is the problem...a bad batch of CDI boxes, like some Preds have cracked heads, and some bad ball joints....It doesn't affect everyone, just various individuals....by the luck (or BAD LUCK) of the draw...

JJ

Old 03-17-2003, 12:42 PM
Trailblazer

It's too bad some of you are experiencing problems. My TLD runs great! No "bad ball joints", no "head craking", and the popping is the re-limiter on top. Mine spins up to 8900-9000 all the time. If it's popping before 9000 (about midrange) I found that it was too RICH. Once I rejetted back down, or opened up the airbox a little, it runs great. This machine was designed very well. It runs just fine stock. When we start modifying things, we take the risk of making things not run right. It's not Polaris' fault when things get modified. I'm not bashing you guys that have problems, but don't eveybody start worrying that their machine is junk too. Some things are owner inflicted. (Even I have a little trouble jetting, but I never complained, I just fixed it). Ask the guys that have totally STOCK machines. I bet they don't complain about much. Ride the darn things and have some fun!

Old 03-17-2003, 05:07 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Well stated Expert. With some of the trials and errors of getting the 400 mod motors to scream, you've gotta expect some tuning burps. Good grief, were stretching all the way around the world. Do like Heapster suggested and check the float levels. I think both Superbike and K&N have needle and jet kits. Might take some effort on your part, but being persistant normally pays off with big grins once it's figured out. Have you guys/gals checked the plug for proper jetting throughout the rpm range?