Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 09:45 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve230
Im sure he would has actrually been to where i live picking twice. I don't Know if u saw the episode 3 months ago where they were at Bushkill Park i live about 2 miles from there, When i was small we usta have all our birthday parties there. I had baseball practice in the back field they had. And they where there on the Civil War episode the other week
I only watch it when nothing else is on. It got old fast. I might have seen the show, but not sure... they all kinda blend in.

Exhaust gets here thursday, Gonna put the cam in this weekend a lil nervous about that. anyone got any tips?
Ya, use rtv sparingly!

Name:  apc100013lq1.jpg
Views: 1212
Size:  90.7 KB

Name:  apc100012wq3.jpg
Views: 1561
Size:  58.6 KB

Old 06-13-2011, 09:55 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by JustRandy
I only watch it when nothing else is on. It got old fast. I might have seen the show, but not sure... they all kinda blend in.

Ya, use rtv sparingly!

So its a pretty easy job though? I've already had the head off once cuz the rocker tappet came off had to search around for it. As long as i keep tension on the chain so it doesn't skip a link i won't have to time it right?

Old 06-13-2011, 11:07 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So its a pretty easy job though? I've already had the head off once cuz the rocker tappet came off had to search around for it. As long as i keep tension on the chain so it doesn't skip a link i won't have to time it right?
you should be fine as long as you use the smallest hole on the RTV tube, and use a thin line. try to keep it in the center of the valve cover sealing surface. as for timing, as long as you have the mag cover off you'll be fine. make sure the piston is at TDC then line up the hash marks and you'll be set.

go to this link here, its got really good pics.
http://sites.google.com/site/suzukil...s/timing-marks

Old 06-13-2011, 11:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can anyone with a dg rcm exhaust measure the outer diameter of the muffler. I found some clamp on spark arrestors for when i go riding on state land, but they only go up to a 3 inch diameter
I'll measure mine in the morning and let you know. Are you looking at the cobra sparky spark arrestor? I've seen them and considered it but didn't want to hand over the cash before I had someone else's opinion on it

Old 06-13-2011, 11:47 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Trailrider230s
you should be fine as long as you use the smallest hole on the RTV tube, and use a thin line. try to keep it in the center of the valve cover sealing surface. as for timing, as long as you have the mag cover off you'll be fine. make sure the piston is at TDC then line up the hash marks and you'll be set.

go to this link here, its got really good pics.
Timing Marks - Suzuki LT230S Vault
I wouldn't take the mag cover off just for that... that's just more work you have to do. I always take the spark plug out and use a screwdriver to feel the piston. Put the tranny in 5th gear and roll the wheels to make the piston move. Watch the intake valve and when the intake valve opens, you know the next stroke is the compression stroke. Set the piston at the top and the lines on the cam should be parallel with the head. I don't know if you can keep the chain on the sprocket while you switch cams or not. If you can, that makes it easier for sure. And with rtv I just dab a bit on my finger and smear it paper thin on the cover and stay as far away from bearings as I can. I'm not sure its possible to use too little rtv. Oh and there are 1 or 2 bolts that need rtv around the heads. I forgot which ones, but I think its the center ones over the cam. Dont forget to oil the cam bearings... dont want a dry startup.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:51 PM
Range Rover

I wouldn't take the mag cover off just for that... that's just more work you have to do. I always take the spark plug out and use a screwdriver to feel the piston. Put the tranny in 5th gear and roll the wheels to make the piston move. Watch the intake valve and when the intake valve opens, you know the next stroke is the compression stroke. Set the piston at the top and the lines on the cam should be parallel with the head. I don't know if you can keep the chain on the sprocket while you switch cams or not. If you can, that makes it easier for sure. And with rtv I just dab a bit on my finger and smear it paper thin on the cover and stay as far away from bearings as I can. I'm not sure its possible to use too little rtv. Oh and there are 1 or 2 bolts that need rtv around the heads. I forgot which ones, but I think its the center ones over the cam. Dont forget to oil the cam bearings... dont want a dry startup.
I have the clymer ill check which bolts, but the clymer isn't always the easiest to follow. Its nice to get others opinions

Old 06-14-2011, 12:09 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I have the clymer ill check which bolts, but the clymer isn't always the easiest to follow. Its nice to get others opinions
There is really not much to it. The biggest mistakes I think people make is using too much goop and overtightening bolts. Anytime you tighten bolts, start in the center and work outwards like you're tinting your windows. Anytime you losen bolts, you do the opposite. Clean the bolts threads and holes. Be sure to reset the cam chain tensioner before trying to force it in there thinking its automatic or something lol. The lash on my intake valve is always the smallest perceptable movement. I can't get a .001 feeler into the gap... and .001 is what I want. Not .003 or even .002. I want my cam to have the longest duration possible and so that means the tightest lash possible. I shoot for .003 on the exhaust.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:15 AM
Range Rover

There is really not much to it. The biggest mistakes I think people make is using too much goop and overtightening bolts. Anytime you tighten bolts, start in the center and work outwards like you're tinting your windows. Anytime you losen bolts, you do the opposite. Clean the bolts threads and holes. Be sure to reset the cam chain tensioner before trying to force it in there thinking its automatic or something lol. The lash on my intake valve is always the smallest perceptable movement. I can't get a .001 feeler into the gap... and .001 is what I want. Not .003 or even .002. I want my cam to have the longest duration possible and so that means the tightest lash possible. I shoot for .003 on the exhaust.
uhh i kept looking threw my plug hole, so right after the intake valve closes and the piston goes all the way to the top thats what i want?

Old 06-14-2011, 12:23 AM
Elite Pro Rider

uhh i kept looking threw my plug hole, so right after the intake valve closes and the piston goes all the way to the top thats what i want?
Ya if that works for you. Be aware the crank will turn a fair amount and not move the piston very much when its at the top. You want the tippy top.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:31 AM
Range Rover

If im not adjusting the timing is it really that important to be at tdc

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.