Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 07:46 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve230
Well i got the cam in. I guess since it runs excellent i didn't mess up the timing at all. It idles great. If i get the rpms up high than cut the engine off the plug is a light greyish brown thats good right? But if i try and nail the throttle from a dead idle it just stalls out. So whats this mean i need to adjust the clip on the needle? Once i get the rpms a lil higher than idle than i can just nail the throttle and it goes just fine.
Are you sure it didn't do that before? Without an accelerator pump its hard to nail it and expect it to react that fast. How hard you nailing it? How far you nailing it?

Old 06-14-2011, 07:55 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by JustRandy
Are you sure it didn't do that before? Without an accelerator pump its hard to nail it and expect it to react that fast. How hard you nailing it? How far you nailing it?
From a dead idle to about 3/4 throttle, It didn't do that before since thats how i usualy ride (nail it than WOT) im sure i would have noticed it before hand. But it runs to perfect at every other rpm range. So im baffled

Old 06-14-2011, 08:19 PM
Elite Pro Rider

From a dead idle to about 3/4 throttle, It didn't do that before since thats how i usualy ride (nail it than WOT) im sure i would have noticed it before hand. But it runs to perfect at every other rpm range. So im baffled
Well, all you can really do right now is fiddle around with the needle clip. Try it in different positions and see what happens. Try with the airbox lid back on and see first. If it works with the lid on, you know its running lean and to lower the clip on the needle.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well the sparky spark only goes to a 3 inch ill have to find like a 3.5 to 3 inch piece of pipe but than that spark arrestor is gonna stick way out
Check out the profile of MalHombre. His mechanic came up with a solution for a spark arrestor on the dg rcm pipe. He has the aluminum exhaust. You can order a replacement screen online as long as you know the inside diameter of the end of the muffler, then fabricate and endcap and drill and tap some holes to fasten it to the muffler. I think his mechanic turned a chunk of billet something on a lathe but I don't imagine you'd have to get that fancy with it maybe send him a p.m. I know he's on here from time to time.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:30 PM
Range Rover

Well, all you can really do right now is fiddle around with the needle clip. Try it in different positions and see what happens. Try with the airbox lid back on and see first. If it works with the lid on, you know its running lean and to lower the clip on the needle.
I still have the lid on never took it off. I just got off the phone with a friend who is a seasoned mechanic when it comes to the 230 he said all i should have to do is adjust my piolet screw or change out my piolet jet since it runs at every other rpm with no issue, Im not gonna fiddle with it much since i have the exhaust comming on thursday.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:49 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I still have the lid on never took it off. I just got off the phone with a friend who is a seasoned mechanic when it comes to the 230 he said all i should have to do is adjust my piolet screw or change out my piolet jet since it runs at every other rpm with no issue, Im not gonna fiddle with it much since i have the exhaust comming on thursday.
You can try it and see, but as soon as the throttle opens, the pilot is off the clock. You can actually idle just fine with no needle at all, but as soon as you open the throttle it will die.

I had a bit of a rough spot just off idle and the only solution I could come up with was grinding the cutout on my slide bigger. But that's on the 28mm carb

Name:  jet-chart.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  201.6 KB

Old 06-14-2011, 08:55 PM
Elite Pro Rider

The thing is, you can put in a bigger pilot and that will give it more gas just off idle, but then you will have to figure out a way to inject more air into the pilot circuit at idle because it would be too rich and you have the stock carb which has a fuel screw, not an air screw. In other words, if you're set at 1.5 turns out right now and it idles good, upping the pilot jet could mean you have to turn your screw all the way in... or more. This is why carb tuning is an art. One circuit affects the others and you cant fix one thing without messing something else up.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:25 PM
Range Rover

The thing is, you can put in a bigger pilot and that will give it more gas just off idle, but then you will have to figure out a way to inject more air into the pilot circuit at idle because it would be too rich and you have the stock carb which has a fuel screw, not an air screw. In other words, if you're set at 1.5 turns out right now and it idles good, upping the pilot jet could mean you have to turn your screw all the way in... or more. This is why carb tuning is an art. One circuit affects the others and you cant fix one thing without messing something else up.
Oh the joy of carbs My spark plug is a light greyish golden brown thats what i want right?

Old 06-14-2011, 09:35 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Oh the joy of carbs My spark plug is a light greyish golden brown thats what i want right?
Oh the joy of spark plugs! There is an art to interpretting a sparkplug too, but I don't know it. Yeah, brown is what you want, but did you run it right to get the brown? The way I used to do it was get the quad warm, put new plug in and go full bore across my field as hard as I could go then pull the clutch and hit the kill switch at same time. Yank the plug out and look.

A good read: Spark plug reading

Old 06-14-2011, 09:36 PM
Range Rover

Oh the joy of spark plugs! There is an art to interpretting a sparkplug too, but I don't know it. Yeah, brown is what you want, but did you run it right to get the brown? The way I used to do it was get the quad warm, put new plug in and go full bore across my field as hard as I could go then pull the clutch and hit the kill switch at same time. Yank the plug out and look.

A good read: Spark plug reading
I did what the vault said i did WOT probably 90% tached out the rpms than killed power than went straight to check the plug

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.