Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 01:16 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve230
So im taking the idle screw as low as i can before i try to adjust the piolet? I never knew that, but shouldnt i notice some kind of differance im the way it idles? I stopped at the shop on the way to classes and picked up one piolet bigger just in case
The pilot opening is very small and as soon as the slide opens a wee tiny bit, that wee tiny bit is already 10x bigger than the pilot. So it doesn't matter what you do to the pilot screw... its a candle next to a floodlight. The only time the pilot screw is going to matter is when the slide is nearly completely closed. So step 1 is to make sure the slide is down as far as you can get it and the goal is to size the pilot so your pilot screw is 1.5 turns out. 1.5 turns gives you wiggle room for altitude and temperature changes later on.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:26 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Old 06-15-2011, 01:47 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by JustRandy
The pilot opening is very small and as soon as the slide opens a wee tiny bit, that wee tiny bit is already 10x bigger than the pilot. So it doesn't matter what you do to the pilot screw... its a candle next to a floodlight. The only time the pilot screw is going to matter is when the slide is nearly completely closed. So step 1 is to make sure the slide is down as far as you can get it and the goal is to size the pilot so your pilot screw is 1.5 turns out. 1.5 turns gives you wiggle room for altitude and temperature changes later on.
Ill have to try that and if it doesnt work than i may just have to live with it i mean its only from a dead idle but im usually never the low on the rpms :P Does yours try and die out if u just crack it from a dead idle?

Old 06-15-2011, 02:17 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Ill have to try that and if it doesnt work than i may just have to live with it i mean its only from a dead idle but im usually never the low on the rpms :P Does yours try and die out if u just crack it from a dead idle?
Nope. I would have to hit it pretty hard to make it stumble. Why dont you play with the needle clip and airbox lid? Its free.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:37 PM
Range Rover

Nope. I would have to hit it pretty hard to make it stumble. Why dont you play with the needle clip and airbox lid? Its free.
I will mess more around with it when i get home. I hit it pretty hard when it stumbles, and im almost certian it didnt do that before the cam, but i also cant under stand how just the cam caused the issue. Am i just making a mountian out of a mole here maybe ill just video tap it so yall can see my issues

Old 06-15-2011, 02:51 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I will mess more around with it when i get home. I hit it pretty hard when it stumbles, and im almost certian it didnt do that before the cam, but i also cant under stand how just the cam caused the issue. Am i just making a mountian out of a mole here maybe ill just video tap it so yall can see my issues
I ran 3 different cams in one day and didn't have to adjust the carb. The issue was probably there before and the new cam and you adjusting the valves made the issue bigger.

Old 06-15-2011, 04:11 PM
Range Rover

I ran 3 different cams in one day and didn't have to adjust the carb. The issue was probably there before and the new cam and you adjusting the valves made the issue bigger.
Ill have to check my valves agian maybe i wasnt at all the way tdc could the valves being slightly off do that.

Old 06-15-2011, 04:43 PM
Range Rover

Someone mentioned to me you dont gotta be at tdc to adjust valves thats only if you want to do both at the same time. He said just rotate it so that one valve is open at a time that seems alot easier

Old 06-15-2011, 05:40 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Someone mentioned to me you dont gotta be at tdc to adjust valves thats only if you want to do both at the same time. He said just rotate it so that one valve is open at a time that seems alot easier
Whoever that guy is, don't listen to him! The valves must be at tdc. The specs will change for any other location.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:58 PM
Range Rover

Whoever that guy is, don't listen to him! The valves must be at tdc. The specs will change for any other location.
Good thing i checked with u first could the incprrect valve adjustment be causing my issue

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.