Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 09:28 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by red230
well i have started mocking up my basket case and it appears that my rear shock is about 2 inches to short now, that being said does anyone know of another quad or atc that uses a rear shock that is is 2 or 3 inches longer than the rear shock on a lt230s?

thanks,

randy.
sounds like you need a 250s shock or maybe if it will work a lt250r shock. i will double check the shock lengths and get back to you.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:30 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Twin_Stacks
just dont screw yourself and take less than a grand. itll sell, give it time. your time is worth more than $800. when people ask about age on something like this it kills me. its not a car. if its all brand new its newer than a 06 raptor so who cares? if age concerns them after all youve done to it, then they arent a worthy owner of a 230.
i never though of it like that man. like madeofmetal said, "well said man".

Old 01-10-2011, 10:05 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

underneath all my idiocy and bad judgment, i happen to have a little bit of wisdom lol

Old 01-10-2011, 09:17 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by red230
well i have started mocking up my basket case and it appears that my rear shock is about 2 inches to short now, that being said does anyone know of another quad or atc that uses a rear shock that is is 2 or 3 inches longer than the rear shock on a lt230s?

thanks,

randy.

ok here is what i found out. Like I thought, an lt250r shock has the right length you need to get close to stock ride height. it will require a few mods i think. the only other option i see is a Works Performance shock made for extended swing arms.

Old 01-12-2011, 03:54 AM
Trailblazer

I've been looking at it and it may be easiest to just cut the shock mount off of the frame and move it back to get the right height, otherwise I also looked at removing the steel stock from inbetween the shock mount on the swingarm and the swingarm bearings, and weld it back together esentially undoing wha has already been done and lengthen the swingarm by adding material between the shock mount and carrier loops, I would still be using the same shock, but I don't know if it would be a good idea to cut and reweld (possible swingarm strength issues?) what modifications would I have to make in order to get the 250r or 250s shock to fit, aren't the mounts the same?

thanks,

randy.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:46 AM
Trailblazer
Default finally finished

hey guys. I dont post here much, so some of you might not know who i am, but last spring i bought my first 230 and began construction. i have posted here a few times with questions and concerns since then and have got alot of good info from both this message board and the 230 vault website.

i wasnt really interested in it, but i got the quad running, but poorly and smoking badly (rings?) in a package deal with a good running RT180 yamaha dirtbike that i wanted, so i bought it.

The plastics were all good, and so was the seat. the tires were brand new, so all i really wanted to do was get it runnign well and paint the frame.

After tearing the top end down we discovered that the jug had already been bored .010 over, and that the piston was cracked. A new wiseco piston kit, cylinder hone, top end gaskets, valve job, etc... and i had a good running engine. fast forward a few months later to today and i think i finally have all the bugs worked out, carb tuned properly, etc... it still has a small oil leak, but thats only when the engine is warm and the oil is hot and thin. once it cools down it stops. I know the location of the leak and the cause, it stems from the chain breaking and damaging the case for the previous owner and i think im just going to live with it.

the body was all yellow, and the frame was 3 shades of blue from the paint flaking and showing previous coats, with silver swing arm and a-arms. i repainted the frame black to match the seat, and repianted the silver parts silver. I also painted the hood black.

I included some pics. In the first pic you can see some of the blue frame, it was before I finished everything up in the middle section where the engine sits.

you cant see it in the pics, but i left the rear wheel hubs blue. I think it gives it some character. I still need to replace the rear wheel bearings, they are wore and it vibrates at high speeds on a flat surface, but for now im pumping it full of grease and calling it good and just enjoying riding it around.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:49 AM
Trailblazer

i dont know how to make the pics bigger, but if you really want to see them they are also in my garage and they are bigger there

Old 01-12-2011, 01:56 PM
Trailblazer

not bad not bad at all.

Old 01-12-2011, 02:01 PM
Trailblazer

so last night I thought that I would just move my shck mount on the frame back in order to get my ride height, but found out today thatif I do that then my airbox and plumbig to the carb will no longer fit, I wanna keep all that being that I mostly trailrid anyhows(found out the hard way that pod filters suck in the snow, rain , mud, anything wet.) anyone else have a lengthened swingarm out there?

Old 01-12-2011, 03:20 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by 86zuk
I still need to replace the rear wheel bearings, they are wore and it vibrates at high speeds on a flat surface, but for now im pumping it full of grease and calling it good and just enjoying riding it around.
Axle bearings... woops

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.