Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 08:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well today has been really eventful. Met with 2 buyers for the Mistress, and again i got offered a junk nitro rc truck for it plus $400. Oh well i listed it on ebay as a classified ad for free and Already got 8 watchers so its looking good so far.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:58 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default We've got a smoker....again

Hi Folks!

One of my Quadsports all of a sudden started smoking BAD yesterday. Typically, it would smoke for about 3-5mins on start up, warm up then be good but something happened yesterday to make it real bad.

This is the same one I rebuilt a couple years ago (pics in my profile). I'm no expert and know just enough to be dangerous, so I have a question:

How long do rings typically last?

I did a new piston and rings back in 2009 and probably have 20-30hrs on it since then - totally a guess on this figure...
All the machines sit outside year round (under cover) but have fired up on the first kick religiously. This one still does, but it seems to be dumping oil into the exhaust.

After doing some research I saw that some people found that just their oil ring was toast over time. I'm hoping it's just a ring issue but it seems like it happened pretty quick if it is...

Thanks~

Old 09-04-2011, 11:03 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by sdunlimited
Hi Folks!

One of my Quadsports all of a sudden started smoking BAD yesterday. Typically, it would smoke for about 3-5mins on start up, warm up then be good but something happened yesterday to make it real bad.

This is the same one I rebuilt a couple years ago (pics in my profile). I'm no expert and know just enough to be dangerous, so I have a question:

How long do rings typically last?

I did a new piston and rings back in 2009 and probably have 20-30hrs on it since then - totally a guess on this figure...
All the machines sit outside year round (under cover) but have fired up on the first kick religiously. This one still does, but it seems to be dumping oil into the exhaust.

After doing some research I saw that some people found that just their oil ring was toast over time. I'm hoping it's just a ring issue but it seems like it happened pretty quick if it is...

Thanks~
did you have the jug checked to see if it was out of round? if you just replaced the old piston with a new stock 66mm, odds are it was out of round and needed bored .20 and then you need a 66.5mm piston.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:32 AM
Weekend Warrior

When putting the needle back in under the floats on the carb are you supposed to hook the little wire on the top onto the tab on the floats or just set it underneath it?

Old 09-04-2011, 01:51 PM
Pro Rider

Yep, hook it on float

Old 09-04-2011, 02:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

I thought so. Thanks. I think after blowing out all of the passages for the third time I finally got it to run pretty good. I just need to leave the idle a tad high and it's fine

Old 09-04-2011, 08:34 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by Trailrider230s
Well today has been really eventful. Met with 2 buyers for the Mistress, and again i got offered a junk nitro rc truck for it plus $400. Oh well i listed it on ebay as a classified ad for free and Already got 8 watchers so its looking good so far.
Meh when i sold my dirt bike i had 60 some odd watchers tons of emails and calls on how much they wanted it, not a single one of those people bid.

Old 09-04-2011, 08:51 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Steve230
Meh when i sold my dirt bike i had 60 some odd watchers tons of emails and calls on how much they wanted it, not a single one of those people bid.
i ve had 4 people show up to see it and start it but no serious people yet. i have never failed to sell on ebay. i just hate the high fees.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:20 PM
Trailblazer
Default Re: We've got a smoker....again

Originally Posted by Trailrider230s
did you have the jug checked to see if it was out of round? if you just replaced the old piston with a new stock 66mm, odds are it was out of round and needed bored .20 and then you need a 66.5mm piston.

Thanks for the reply on this.

That particular jug was checked prior to install and seemed OK. I had somebody check it for me at the time and they also honed it. I honestly can't remember the bore....

I just grabbed the jug and piston that was on it previously (that one was smoking real bad too....) and took some measurements with a new set (my first) of vernier calipers. Here's what I'm getting for readings:

Jug:
67.00mm
66.94mm
(these are perpendicular readings across the top. Perpendicular readings across the bottom of the sleeve measured identically)

Piston:
66.38mm

I'm thinking I'll just prep this jug/piston combo and throw it on there however, do these readings look OK? Do the rings really make up that whole difference between 66.38mm and 67.00mm?
If all is well, I'll have this honed (or get the proper tool to do it myself) and throw a new set of rings on there.

Also, is there a general rule when dealing with these issues to know that if there's a certain discrepancy between cylinder bore and piston/ring size, that it's time to either replace rings and/or rebore and/or resleeve?

Thanks for any insight provided-

Old 09-04-2011, 11:04 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by sdunlimited
Thanks for the reply on this.

That particular jug was checked prior to install and seemed OK. I had somebody check it for me at the time and they also honed it. I honestly can't remember the bore....

I just grabbed the jug and piston that was on it previously (that one was smoking real bad too....) and took some measurements with a new set (my first) of vernier calipers. Here's what I'm getting for readings:

Jug:
67.00mm
66.94mm
(these are perpendicular readings across the top. Perpendicular readings across the bottom of the sleeve measured identically)

Piston:
66.38mm

I'm thinking I'll just prep this jug/piston combo and throw it on there however, do these readings look OK? Do the rings really make up that whole difference between 66.38mm and 67.00mm?
If all is well, I'll have this honed (or get the proper tool to do it myself) and throw a new set of rings on there.

Also, is there a general rule when dealing with these issues to know that if there's a certain discrepancy between cylinder bore and piston/ring size, that it's time to either replace rings and/or rebore and/or resleeve?

Thanks for any insight provided-
well its .06 out of round so i think it falls into the tolerance. and i can tell you already its been bored at least once.

standard bore/stroke
66mm/67mm
i would have a ceritfied mechanic measure the bore to ensure its perfectly round top to bottom. any slight varience can cause premature ring and cylinder wear. alot of people will disagree with me on that but all of my 230 engines are blue-printed to within .002 tolerance. and make sure you break it in right, that will ensure long life and optimal performance.

And ring gap makes a big difference. follow wiseco or whatever piston company you choose, directions to the letter.

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.