Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 11:16 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

alright, will i be able to feel a difference from boring it to 0.06 from stock?

Old 03-20-2012, 11:20 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Quinn230s
alright, will i be able to feel a difference from boring it to 0.06 from stock?
wont feel a deferance from being .06 bigger,..but when them rings seat to the new cylinder an biulds better compression,..that you can defiantly feel!!

Old 03-20-2012, 11:56 AM
Pro Rider

You really won't feel a difference. If you want to feel a difference, I would recommend an lt250s cam in the top end at the very least. If you used an lt250s cam and cylinder head then that would be even better, but of course you would have to rejet your carb. But no, boring it that much wont do much. An aftermarket exhaust will do alot also. And actually, when buying quads, I try to stay away from anything further than 4 over, cause I know something internally is probably messed up if they have to bore it that far already and I know that the cylinder is going to need to be resleeved soon.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tomgodair
If you used an lt250s cam and cylinder head then that would be even better, but of course you would have to rejet your carb. But no, boring it that much wont do much.
That has the larger intake valve, right? I already have a DG exhaust. Will that need to be changed as well?

Old 03-20-2012, 12:15 PM
Pro Rider

Only the exhaust header pipe is not compatible. I have an extra that I would be willing to sell. I actually have an extra head, cam, and exhaust pipe. I also have an lt230s dg pipe installed. And yes, larger intake valve and better porting. The only thing is that you have to take your original exhaust head pipe and cut a small piece to extend the lt250s exhaust pipe, I might have enough pipe left over to cut you the piece you need. Once installed, you won't even be able to tell that you extended it with a cut piece. The lt250s also has better heatshields on the exhaust pipe. I was going to try and find you a link to the cylinder head that used to be on ebay, but someone bought them all.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:19 PM
Pro Rider

Also, an lt250s clutch is an upgrade also to an lt230s:
Suzuki LT 250S QuadSport Quad Sport 250 S Clutch Basket Gear Assembly 230 | eBay
This item isn't as important, but its still an upgrade. For a suspension upgrade, you can use an lt250s rear shock. I know you didn't ask about suspension, but the lt230s suspension is junk. But once again someone has bought them, people must be taking my advice or something and buying all the parts lol. I don't have an extra one of those. I might in a couple months after I get my works shock rebuilt.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by j_mauld
I really need help with the following:

I ordered some bearings from boss bearings on ebay for my '88 quadsport.
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

I tried putting them in tonight and they don't appear to have any hope of going into the arms. I measured the I.D. of the hole in the arms to be 20mm. The outer diameter of the old bearings is 20mm. However, the outer diameter of the new bearings is 21mm.

Have any of you ran into this before?
I spoke with them today. I also found from looking in some of the parts diagram that some lt230s came with a 21mm bearing and some came with a 20mm bearing. They weren't aware of the 20mm bearing option, so they are refunding my money.

Now, I just need to find a source of a repair kit that fits.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:20 PM
Pro Rider

Your lucky, most people I have dealt with on ebay have not been so nice.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:34 PM
Trailblazer

thanks tom. looks to be about $500 to do the rebuild myself. there is a guy on ebay selling reman engines for $700. would this be a better way to go or is this guy a risk? i have never rebuilt an engine before and i dont have a lot of money and im worried that if i mess something up trying to rebuild it then it will just cost even more money. what would you do? hey tom, is randy still on here any more? havent seen him post since my first day on here.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:00 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by spoonbill
thanks tom. looks to be about $500 to do the rebuild myself. there is a guy on ebay selling reman engines for $700. would this be a better way to go or is this guy a risk? i have never rebuilt an engine before and i dont have a lot of money and im worried that if i mess something up trying to rebuild it then it will just cost even more money. what would you do? hey tom, is randy still on here any more? havent seen him post since my first day on here.
I have seen that guy before and he even gives a discout for people who sends in there old engines. The only way I would go that route is if he installs a new rod on the crank and he bores out the engine and not just hone it. Also, make sure it doesn't smoke also. Rebuilding a 230 isn't that bad, it just takes a manual. Oh, look at that:
Valuable Links - Suzuki LT230S Vault
Click on online lt230s manual (same manual for most 230).
Rebuilding an engine yourself, even with lack of experience, is the only way that you know if it was built right or not. The hardest part is the transmission and there are lots of pics in the thread on how its supposoed to go together, but if you follow the manual, you shouldn't have a problem. Maybe even spend a couple hours tonight reading over the how to split your cases and put them back together in the manual. With your engine apart, thats also the best time to sand blast your cases and get them powdercoated or leave them bare alluminum. I do believe he comes back on occasionally, you can send him a pm though.

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.