Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 02:35 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 86zuk
Actually, it hasnt leaked since, and that was in october-ish of 2010. I never close my petcock either. I dunno what the deal was.
Wish I knew what your secret is lol. I can have a good run, but not 2 yrs

Old 03-30-2012, 02:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JustRandy
And a week from now it will be leaking again. Then stop for a while. Then leak. I have 3 quads that I don't dare leave the gas on overnight. They probably won't leak, but there's a fair chance they might. And I have 1 that was bought new and ridden often. It never sat for any length of time. Its also never ever leaked. And I've never turned the gas off. It makes me believe there is something in the tank when gas sits for a long time and you can never get it all out and its too small for filters to catch, but big enough to hold the float valve open.
Have you replaced the floats? They may have degraded to the point where they aren't as bouyant as they are supposed to be.

Or there could be some gas buildup/tarnish in the hinge of the floats that makes them hang sometimes and not others.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:41 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by j_mauld
Have you replaced the floats? They may have degraded to the point where they aren't as bouyant as they are supposed to be.

Or there could be some gas buildup/tarnish in the hinge of the floats that makes them hang sometimes and not others.
No, I never tried replacing floats. They always looked good enough and seemed like they would float just as good as new. You think there could be something to that?

Old 03-30-2012, 07:56 PM
Pro Rider

I don't now. I've read about it from a few different sources, but all of those places were waiting to sell you parts so I tend to be cautious about what I believe from those sources.l

For example, scroll down until you see the floats.
Performance Carburetors - JET Performance Products, Import & Domestic Performance, Performance Kits, Fuel Systems, Transmissions

Old 03-30-2012, 07:58 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by JustRandy
No, I never tried replacing floats. They always looked good enough and seemed like they would float just as good as new. You think there could be something to that?
I have read that from a handful of sources, unfortunately those sources were all ready to ship you brand new shiney parts.

For example, scroll down in this link until you see the floats.
Performance Carburetors - JET Performance Products, Import & Domestic Performance, Performance Kits, Fuel Systems, Transmissions

Since you said this happens on bikes that have sat a while, I would pull the floats out and clean the hinge. I still think its just hanging.

I do know that I had to adjust my floats just slightly out of spec to keep the overflow from leaking. It was out of spec in the direction as if the float was heavier than it should be.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:59 PM
Range Rover

I would look at the float, but also the needle valve and the needle valve seat. Keep in mind, I have not rebuilt the carb on an lt230 in years, just going by experience with other carbs.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:33 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I have read that from a handful of sources, unfortunately those sources were all ready to ship you brand new shiney parts.

Since you said this happens on bikes that have sat a while, I would pull the floats out and clean the hinge. I still think its just hanging.

I do know that I had to adjust my floats just slightly out of spec to keep the overflow from leaking. It was out of spec in the direction as if the float was heavier than it should be.
You could be right. I assume the floats are made from some kind of microscopically porous material whose pores get clogged with tarnish over years and years. That would increase the density

Old 03-30-2012, 08:44 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Learn something new everyday The floats are junk

Nitrophyl or Brass? [Archive] - OldsPower.com
http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums...ad.php?t=37745

Read what ignitionman says

Old 03-30-2012, 08:49 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by overhead
I would look at the float, but also the needle valve and the needle valve seat. Keep in mind, I have not rebuilt the carb on an lt230 in years, just going by experience with other carbs.
I was thinking something from the tank was getting into the valve causing it not to close, but maybe the floats just dont float like they used to.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:36 PM
Trailblazer

hey guys, i'm thinkin about painting Suzi. what kind of paint should i use that wont crack on the plastic or damage easily?
P.S. Randy- i checked with Arias for my high compression piston, and they didn't have anything. to custom make one, they have to make 8, and want $800 for it! so i'll just put a regular compression wiseco in it

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.