Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 06:39 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good source for a new drive chain? I found the sprockets on cheap cycle parts but not the drive chain.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:16 AM
Trailblazer

Can anyone recommend a starting point for jet sizes with a filter mounted directly to the carb and a dg exhaust?

Also, if you have an issue with backfiring and flames coming out of the exhaust what would cause that? Too much fuel?

Old 03-29-2012, 10:53 AM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by overhead
Good source for a new drive chain? I found the sprockets on cheap cycle parts but not the drive chain.
Found the chain, ordered new sprockets and a new chain. All these parts are starting to add up to a little bit of cash and I have not even paid for the powder coating yet or started the engine work.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:56 AM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by jmauld
Can anyone recommend a starting point for jet sizes with a filter mounted directly to the carb and a dg exhaust?

Also, if you have an issue with backfiring and flames coming out of the exhaust what would cause that? Too much fuel?
Backfiring and flames can be caused by a couple of different things. Timing issues can cause it, air leaking into the exhaust can cause it or in your case if you are messing around with your A/F mixture I would guess you have it running a little rich. That is just from experience working on V-twin and car engines, someone with a little more ATV specific engine knowledge might be able to provide a better answer.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:48 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by spoonbill
thanks tom. looks to be about $500 to do the rebuild myself. there is a guy on ebay selling reman engines for $700. would this be a better way to go or is this guy a risk? i have never rebuilt an engine before and i dont have a lot of money and im worried that if i mess something up trying to rebuild it then it will just cost even more money. what would you do? hey tom, is randy still on here any more? havent seen him post since my first day on here.
I don't get the email notifications sometimes when someone replies here, so days or weeks go by before I remember to come check. Its been happening like that for years now. I'll try to remember to pop in and check more often

Old 03-30-2012, 01:04 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by jmauld

You would think it would be too much fuel, but actually its a "lean misfire". The gas that doesn't burn gets sent out the pipe and when a mix finally does ignite, it ignites all the gas in the pipe producing the flames you see. You can do the same as a trick by revving out to WOT, hit the killswitch and hold the throttle open for a bit, then let off the kill switch to fire the engine back up and flames should shoot out. Works with cars too.

As far as jets... You have a good starting point. Most of the trouble is figuring out which way to go, bigger or smaller. You now know you need to go bigger and its only a matter of time before you find the right size.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:23 AM
Elite Pro Rider

More on the subject of carbs and flames n stuff:

Buddy has a 660 raptor and he's had nothing but trouble with the carbs leaking gas. It has 1 cylinder and 2 carbs and 1 puddle of gas under it. We've had the carbs off probably a dozen times, no, 2 dozen since he's owned it. So much that we're starting to strip the heads off screws! Anyway, the last go-round we're tackling this leaking gas issue and I thought "maybe the floats aren't floating up enough to shut the gas flow off?". I've never seen a float adjustment make a big deal in how an engine ran anyway, so I figured just set the floats low so it would shut the gas off earlier. Well, it worked! No more leaking gas. So now I'm out test riding it, doing donuts and stuff and my buddy is jumping up n down screaming. I ride over to see what the matter is and he's pointing at the exhaust. Its bright cherry red! And he said flames were coming out the back! Uh oh. That big piston was sucking those 2 float bowls dry and running lean. Well crap. But I was right about one thing.... it didn't change how the engine ran lol! It ran good!

To this day we still haven't gotten it to stop leaking gas. He has all new parts in the carbs and new petcock on the tank (with a new strainer). I think its something in the tanks of these quads that sit for a while. Once the carbs start leaking, there is no stopping it. Fuel filters don't help. New parts don't help. Seems he needs a new tank.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:56 AM
Trailblazer

the carb on my 230 did the same thing after i rebuilt the top end. Wouldnt stop leaking for some reason. I took it apart a hundred times, made sure everything was set, checked the pet ****...all that jazz. I couldnt get it to stop. I was reserved to the fact that i was just going to have to make sure i shut the petcock off every time i got done riding. It was like the float wasnt shutting off the flow when it got high enough in the bowl, and the thing was just pouring gas out the overflow. After a day of hard riding it just stopped doing it....wierd. works fine now.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:10 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by 86zuk
the carb on my 230 did the same thing after i rebuilt the top end. Wouldnt stop leaking for some reason. I took it apart a hundred times, made sure everything was set, checked the pet ****...all that jazz. I couldnt get it to stop. I was reserved to the fact that i was just going to have to make sure i shut the petcock off every time i got done riding. It was like the float wasnt shutting off the flow when it got high enough in the bowl, and the thing was just pouring gas out the overflow. After a day of hard riding it just stopped doing it....wierd. works fine now.
And a week from now it will be leaking again. Then stop for a while. Then leak. I have 3 quads that I don't dare leave the gas on overnight. They probably won't leak, but there's a fair chance they might. And I have 1 that was bought new and ridden often. It never sat for any length of time. Its also never ever leaked. And I've never turned the gas off. It makes me believe there is something in the tank when gas sits for a long time and you can never get it all out and its too small for filters to catch, but big enough to hold the float valve open.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:22 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by JustRandy
And a week from now it will be leaking again. Then stop for a while. Then leak. I have 3 quads that I don't dare leave the gas on overnight. They probably won't leak, but there's a fair chance they might. And I have 1 that was bought new and ridden often. It never sat for any length of time. Its also never ever leaked. And I've never turned the gas off. It makes me believe there is something in the tank when gas sits for a long time and you can never get it all out and its too small for filters to catch, but big enough to hold the float valve open.
Actually, it hasnt leaked since, and that was in october-ish of 2010. I never close my petcock either. I dunno what the deal was.

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.