Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 08:13 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Disregard my last, I found Webcam. I am not sure their "stage 1" cam will add enough performance on it's own to be worth 150$. Any opinions? Really, for what I am going to be using their ATV for I should probably just leave it stock.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:19 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by overhead
Disregard my last, I found Webcam. I am not sure their "stage 1" cam will add enough performance on it's own to be worth 150$. Any opinions? Really, for what I am going to be using their ATV for I should probably just leave it stock.
Nobody likes the stage 1 webcam. People have given them away free on here before. Go stage 2 or with megacycle. With megacycle you get a new billet cam. Webcam will weld your old one and grind it down. Plus you have to get their welded rockers too. I think it works out to be the same $ both ways and jury is out which is better.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:24 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by JustRandy
Nobody likes the stage 1 webcam. People have given them away free on here before. Go stage 2 or with megacycle. With megacycle you get a new billet cam. Webcam will weld your old one and grind it down. Plus you have to get their welded rockers too. I think it works out to be the same $ both ways and jury is out which is better.
I will check them out, thanks. I may just leave it stock for now. If I want to upgrade the cam later I can.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:25 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Trailrider230s
not enough to buy a 250s engine, because of how hard parts are to get. may be 1-1.5 hp. the real difference is in the rod and valve train and the trans. I can squeeze ungodly power out of a 230s engine. I built one last week that roasted a 440ex on the trail course.

I have a 250s engine and don't really like it any better than my 230s engines i build.

And NO guys it's not for sale. I only own it becuase my customer hasn't paid for the rebulid. I got over $1500 in the engine not including labor. The butt-hole better pay or . well you guys get it.
You should be able to get much more power out of the 250 because of its port geometry and longer rod. It will rev higher, safer, and move fuel mix thru the ports more efficiently. Plus the 4th gear ratio in the 230 is really screwed up. The 250 engine has that fixed.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:30 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by overhead
1500? Man that is a lot of money in a little one cylinder.

You guys have any recommendations on a cam? I do not want to replace springs or valves. I was going to put the stock cam back in as it seems to be in pretty good shape, but now I am considering upgrading a tad. As I said I prefer to keep the head stock. The cylinder is bored .5mm, other then that the rest is stock. I do not mind rejetting the carb, if that is required.
You should get new stiffer springs. Even if you keep the old cam. I've often wondered if the power increase of the stage 2 webcam came just from the springs they make you buy. Keeping the rocker on the cam lobe is a problem at higher rpms and you lose power if the vavle isnt closing at the right time.

The 250 stock cam is probably worth the $100 it costs. You do get a slight improvement.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JustRandy
You should be able to get much more power out of the 250 because of its port geometry and longer rod. It will rev higher, safer, and move fuel mix thru the ports more efficiently. Plus the 4th gear ratio in the 230 is really screwed up. The 250 engine has that fixed.
i did a basic side by side test. I dropped the 250s engine into a 230 frame lined it up with a stock 230s. other than the gear ratio i didn't really notice much, outside a realizing the 250 engine is a pain to find parts for.
I agree that the 250s is built stout. I would like to find a machine shop to produce a higher quality rod for the 230s. Vesrah is ok and so is Hot rods but i have seen them fail just like the stock zuk rod.

I am currently working on a franken-project for a customer where i am putting a newer ltz250 engine in a lt230s frame. so far it sucks, not entirely convinced it's worth the effort. But he got a good deal on the engine and he already had the 230 frame so, i said i would try.

Old 05-01-2012, 05:51 AM
Elite Pro Rider

i did a basic side by side test. I dropped the 250s engine into a 230 frame lined it up with a stock 230s. other than the gear ratio i didn't really notice much, outside a realizing the 250 engine is a pain to find parts for.
I agree that the 250s is built stout. I would like to find a machine shop to produce a higher quality rod for the 230s. Vesrah is ok and so is Hot rods but i have seen them fail just like the stock zuk rod.

I am currently working on a franken-project for a customer where i am putting a newer ltz250 engine in a lt230s frame. so far it sucks, not entirely convinced it's worth the effort. But he got a good deal on the engine and he already had the 230 frame so, i said i would try.
What parts are hard to find? Many are the same 230 parts. Others like the intake valve and cam chain are LT4WD parts. The piston is the same as the 300 king quad. The only things I can think unique to the 250s is the cam, header, jug, and rod. The rod might even be the same as the king quad. Not sure. I know the stroke is longer on the king, not sure about the rod.

To get power out of the 250 you have to optimize the flow thru the head to take advantage of the improved geometry. What difference would there be in flow if both engines had the same crappy muffler? I use a glass pack. I also don't have an airbox and I have a giant airfilter to offer minimal resistence. Other than those 2 mods and some mild porting my engine is stock and I run circles around any 230. Well... there is one more mod.... I use the 230 flywheel. The 250 is a few degrees retarded for some reason. But I bet you could spend $200 on a port job and another $200 on dimpled valves for a 230 and still not have the flow of a stock 250 head. No amount of porting is going to fix the bend in the exhaust port. And that bend is at the worst spot. As soon as the high velocity gases try to exit the cylinder, they smack right into a wall and have to change direction and create a bottleneck in the worst possible location.

Old 05-05-2012, 08:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to sell my 230 that I've been working on. What is the value on these? It's in good condition, and the only thing that I know it needs right away is a clutch, chain and sprockets.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:50 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by j_mauld
I'm going to sell my 230 that I've been working on. What is the value on these? It's in good condition, and the only thing that I know it needs right away is a clutch, chain and sprockets.
around $1000

Old 05-09-2012, 01:51 AM
Pro Rider

I am currently working on a franken-project for a customer where i am putting a newer ltz250 engine in a lt230s frame.
converting it to chain drive??

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.