Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 04:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like your chain is stretched and needs to be replaced. It shouldn't have 3" of play in it. Even without you on it. If you take the weight off the swingarm, you should not be able to wiggle it from side to side. There also should not be any play in your axle bearings.

If you don't know the history of these bearings, I would consider replacing them. They may seem like a waste, but they are much cheaper and easier to install, then a new engine case is.

Some people have had luck installing a chain tensioner, but you're going to have to diy that. No one makes one that just bolts up.

Old 02-14-2014, 02:27 PM
Pro Rider

When you replace the chain it's also a good idea to replace both sprockets as well. This will help lengthen the life of your new chain. It's also a good opportunity to try a little bit different gearing if you're looking for more speed or more torque.

Old 02-17-2014, 01:58 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A new chain is on the way hey guys, I'm looking for a set of wheels for Suzi now. However, with the fronts being 4-166, there are no wheel options. What hubs will bolt on without any welding or cutting that will give me a more desirable bolt pattern?
If all else fails, I'll just get them powdercoated

Old 02-17-2014, 05:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 02-23-2014, 04:33 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Well, the evolution is over. The beast has grown from a lowly 229cc to a 243 to a 246 to a 280cc monster! 50cc over the original design (22% increase). Power is somewhere between a modded 300ex and stock ltz400, probably closer to the 300ex. Way closer actually, since it's pretty much a modded 300ex.

The 300ex has a 74x65.5 bore n stroke for 282cc. My QS has 73x67 for 280cc. If you slap a wiseco in a 300ex and run an open pipe, you'll have pretty much what I have... only 50lbs heavier with electric start.

Don't let me minimize a 300ex though. Those things are stout! A friend had a 350 warrior with a fmf powerbomb header and muffler and kn filter and bigger carb (we thought it was fast at the time). We raced on a stretch of pavement. I rode the 300ex with the wiseco and open muffler. I could let him get ahead of me at any speed, then catch him at will. It was like the 350 was dragging a boat anchor. I wouldn't expect the raptor 350 to be any different.

A 300ex would definitely be easier than what I went through. First, getting that fat sleeve to fit in the case required grinding to within 1/16 inch of the stud holes. No bigger sleeve will fit.

Then, I'm pretty sure wiseco set out to design the heaviest piston they could because I spent a lot of time deciding where to remove metal to make it lighter, but in the end only removing about 5 grams. I can't remember the exact number, but the thing is ungodly heavy and nothing can be done about that without significantly reducing the strength of the piston.

Then I had to fit the piston to the combustion chamber of the head so that the squish-pads would line up, then measure for squish. Of course, first I had to decide what squish I wanted. I felt like I was in a round room looking for a corner to pee in. Once I had a number in mind, I had to call up cometic and order a custom copper gasket for the bigger bore and be .032 thick. With a .020 base gasket, that's .032 + .020 - .017(piston above deck) = .035 squish. So far, no evidence of head contact.... at least from what I can tell from peering in the plug hole.

I polished the combustion chamber and piston top to a mirror shine. Installed new valves and 250S stock cam (which I really really like). Fully ported the intake port for a 28mm flatslide ram-tuned to a giant kn filter (with pre-filter sock).
Ram Theory
Ram Tuning Guide - Free Horsepower From A Big-Block Chevy - Hot Rod Magazine All Pages

The exhaust is an aftermarket header with a custom straight-through glass pack muffler. Quieter than stock on the low-rpm-end with a real deep tone. At higher rpms, it's louder than stock, but doesn't sound like a monkey beating an empty coffee can either.

The first thing I discovered was the old gearing was WAY too low now with the added power. I was running 12/36 (same as 13/39) with 20 inch tires, then went up to 13/36 without being able to notice a decrease in acceleration (power). What's cool about that is I must have more power than I need if I don't notice having less of it

The second thing I discovered was the clutch is woefully inadequate. Cork makes a nice clutch where smooth engagement is desired, but I've read kevlar is the material to use where "grabbiness" and durability are important. I'll find out.

The mountain will be the real test. With the QS, I've never been able to go uphill fast enough to scare me. It just never had enough power. The piped raptor 660 does, but not a 250. The hills up there just keep going and going.

It sure is nice to be finally done with it. Now I can focus on more ordinary things like how to carry more tools or upgrading to a led headlight.

Old 02-23-2014, 11:26 PM
Pro Rider

Got any pics of the process Randy? Did you custom make a muffler for it? Good to see you're still kicking!

Old 02-23-2014, 11:36 PM
Trailblazer

Hey guys, my throttle housing just died. Does anyone know where to get a new one? I would prefer to get a brand new one, but if I have to get a used one from one of you guys, or from eBay, I will. I wouldn't be too opposed to a twist throttle, but it wouldn't have the headlight control.
Thanks in advance
Quinn

Old 02-23-2014, 11:44 PM
Pro Rider

http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?n...d=290895747581

That's the only one I can find on Ebay and it's a twist throttle. Wish I had a spare I could send you but my parts inventory is pretty slim for the 230 these days.

Old 02-23-2014, 11:48 PM
Pro Rider
Old 02-24-2014, 01:21 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by MIsuzukilt230s
Got any pics of the process Randy? Did you custom make a muffler for it? Good to see you're still kicking!
I was using the start button for a while, but I'm back to kickin

Or, I was. I blew the head gasket today. I have pics of just about everything, including the head gasket made by cometic which decided to squeeze out after only a couple hours of riding.

At first, it sounded like a squeak, so I tightened the frame mounts, but it got louder and then was accompanied by a leaking exhaust type sound. What happened was the copper gasket formed a whistle in the gap between the jug and head.

It's good to know I'm making enough power to squeeze out solid copper gaskets

So I ground-out a suzuki brand 3 layer steel 250S stock gasket from 68.5 to 73mm. It's hard to see that steel blowing out. It measures about .028, but has ridges which may put it up to .030 when compressed. I think I'm losing .002 with the new gasket. I also sanded a few .001 off the jug to be sure it's flat enough. I figure my squish went from .035 to .030. Maybe less.

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.