Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 02:13 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

That is strange that the 32 worked w/o a hitch and the 28's seem to have nothing but hitches. Is it the round or flat slide?

Old 12-25-2007, 02:19 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I just found this last night while readin about CV carbs. It compares HP with the size carb you should get.

Name:  Carbmm.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  24.9 KB

Old 12-25-2007, 02:33 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JustRandy

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.atvmagonline.com/output.cfm?id=1308295
">http://www.atvmagonline.com/ou....cfm?id=1308295
</a>

Its a decent read if you have a couple mintues to kill... Yamaha is targeting the market we all found in the old 230's. At least that's the way I read it.</end quote></div>

A customer of mine just bought this for his daughter. No lie, he is 6'4" 330lb and he says it screams, even with him on it! Sounds familiar...... He rides some 700 Yamaha Modded to the hilt drag quad, and to say a 250 hauls but.. Awesome!
After I heal up, I'll go ride it, and give a report!

Old 12-25-2007, 02:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Its the flatslide 32mm carb. I read some on mikuni website about carb sizing and they recommended the 32mm for 200-250cc 4 stroke engines and thats the reason I ordered the 32mm. Its hard to compare the difference in carbs since the QS was worn out badly when I first got it and also the new piston and cam added a bit of oomph as well, but overall im pretty happy with the way it runs. Not sure of the sprocket sizes but it pulls the front easily with throttle only in the first couple of gears. My tank had so much rust it was clogging the fuel filters within 15 minutes and without the filter it caused the needle and seat to not seat overflowing the carb withing the first couple of minutes so really have not had much riding time overall, and im sure I will tweak the carb a bit down the road. At the moment the tank still has rust colored hydrogen bubbles so will be another couple of hours before I disconnect it and flush it well and get to ride again. Hopefully by the end of the weekend I will have the engine broken in well and be able to ride it hard and get a better idea of how well it runs. Oh and Cobra brand pipes are really loud! I like the sound of it actually but man the silencer is hollow except for maybe the last 6 inches or so with a perforated tube and packing so not much to quiet the sound, definate free flowing exhaust!

Old 12-25-2007, 02:49 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Hmmm.... It seems like I remember BigMc posting saying he called sudco or somebody and they said 28 was plenty, even with all the extra work he was planning. I ordered my 28 when this thread was right about 35-40 pages and suddenly everybody started talking 32mm, lol. Another reason I got the 28 is that DG used to offer an upgrade for the 230, it was a 27mm roundslide (it looked like a bored out stock carb). So, I thought 28 might even be a bit big. Now you come along and have a 32 running perfect from the git-go.... Now I'm curious. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-25-2007, 03:13 PM
Pro Rider

Sudco told me the 32 would be perfect for my 273, had it with the dial a jet, seemed to work for the 3-4 rides I had[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Malhombre has a 32 on 243cc, said it was some effort to get it to work..I am sure if anybody can get it to work you could! Horse shoes and handgrenades I guess!!

Well I wouldn't call it welding yet, but I am putting down some "decent" beads on a 1/4in plate!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] This stupid lil hand held face shield is for the birds!! Are the auto darkening helmets worth the 80 bucks?

Old 12-25-2007, 07:58 PM
Elite Pro Rider

PG, I dont know, lol, I actually like the little hand held shields. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] The ones you wear on your head are hard to get to flop down in the right spot and it gives your neck a real workout trying. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Also, they get in the way when trying to weld in close spaces. I have a full head shield, but havent touched it in yrs. But some guys like them apparently. I dont know much about the autodarkening ones. If you can see thru it ok before welding and then it gets dark fast enough not to blind you I guess that would be cool. But I've never used one. I usually use shade 9 or 10 to protect my eyes. I can see good enough thru them until they get dirty. The polycarbonate lens covers are nice and cheaper to replace than the lens itself.

Sounds like you're doing ok with your initial welding! Now see if you can weld 2 pieces together and see what it takes to break the weld... just so you know how strong it is.

Then you have to fool around welding the real thin stuff. That's hard! You'll usually burn thru and it takes practice. If you burn a hole in a sheet of metal, 1st let the red go away and then weld around the hole real fast just to build up the thickness on the metal. Then let cool for a second or 2 and go around again. Once you get the metal built up thick enough you can give it full force to close the hole up.

Wetting. Wetting is what happens when a ball of liquid metal finally sinks down and joins to another piece of metal. If it doesn't "wet" it will just ball up and fall on the floor. If that happens, its not getting hot enough. You have to really stay on it with the heat until it wets.

Keep practicing and before you know it your quad will be 4 inches longer and 10 inches wider! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 12-25-2007, 08:13 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: PoolGod230

Sudco told me the 32 would be perfect for my 273, had it with the dial a jet, seemed to work for the 3-4 rides I had[img][/img]

Malhombre has a 32 on 243cc, said it was some effort to get it to work..I am sure if anybody can get it to work you could! Horse shoes and handgrenades I guess!!</end quote></div>

Well, in theory, the smaller the carb the more lowend torque do to the speed of the air rushing thru a smaller hole and less topend due to a too restrictive venturi. So, theoretically, a big carb will give it more topend IF AND ONLY IF the engine can draw more air than a smaller carb can deliver AND it WILL cause a loss of lowend to some degree. In other words, a bigger carb may or may not give more topend, but you WILL lose at least some lowend.

So, the questions now are: 1) How many cfm does the engine need at, say, 9000 rpm? 2) How many cfm can a carb deliver?

Its pretty obvious now how the large carb and the longer duration cams go hand-in-hand. The higher you rev out, the bigger the carb needs to be.

Holley and Edelbrock publish some nice charts on carb selection for car engines, but nothing I've seen for small engines from mikuni or keihin.

Btw, the 400 kodiak and the 300 lakota both had 32mm carbs from the factory. I'm not sure what you can assume from that info, but there it is. ... and the 220 bayou came with a 24mm. I put the 26 from the 230 on the bayou and it revs to the moon now, but does seem to be missing a bit of lowend. Hard to tell for sure though.

Old 12-25-2007, 09:13 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I found the posts BigMc said. Its on page 9 of this thread. This is the biggest reason I got the 28mm carb.

"The stock carb is a 26mm Round slide. When I was looking for an upgrade I called the folks at White Brothers.
What they recommended was a 28mm Flat slide unit. It was of their opinion that any larger of a carb on the 230 would just be to much.
I would recommend looking into the flat slide carbs. Their design helps them flow more air, which means more power. If you decide to go with the 28mm flat, I should still have the part numbers and jet sizes you will need."

And then on page 15 he said,

"I cant help you with the 300ex carb. What size is the Honda's carb? But the 250r will not work. Way to large. Talk about a flooded machine. Wheew, more flowing out the carb than through im afraid.

I contacted White Brothers directly when I was looking for mine. They told me that the 28mm would be as big as I would need, even with the mods I had planned. Anything larger would create more problems than help. And of course, the suggestion was spot on. The 28mm is more than enough carb for the 230ish in the storage building out back here.
They may still be able to help you. I dont think the part number is available but you cold contact them and ask.
"White Brothers Suzuki Quad-Sport 230 28 mm Mikuni flat slide carb kit"
Part # 15-355
Telephone # 714-692-3404, I do not have a email address. Sorry. If nothing else, you might get some suggestions.
You can always buy the individul parts. Youve already got all the info you need."

Old 12-25-2007, 10:56 PM
Pro Rider

Like I said, If anyone can make it work, it would be you!! The right man is on the job! You have a way of making a dumbazz like me get it, so you you must be on to something! I get cut on tomorrow, so I should have plenty of time to call white bros over the next couple of weeks to see what shakes!! Just hope some old skool kat is still around to not laugh at me, like I care! As a matter of fact, since I won't be able to wrench, give me all the phone numbers and questions you all have!!! I'll try not to be to "purple haze", and get some straight skinny!![img]i/expressions/devil.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.