Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 05:10 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 to 87 Suzuki LT230S help.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: gforce34

OUCH! That is a lot of stuff going wrong all at once. The chain tensioner isn't going to do anything if your axle is moving changing the the alingment of the rearsprocket/chain to the front sprocket chain, will ride right off everytime. were your bolts tight or loose on the swing arm that clamps down the axle carrier? I also (if you look at my pics), have the little bolt in the swing arm on the sprocket side ontop that helps hold the axle carrier all the way to the left. If your swing arm bolts are torqued just beyond shearing off the head of the bolt and you use the little axle carrier bolt on the swing arm then you shouldn't have any problems atleast thats what worked for me after smacking my stator cover with my chain before all that and the CT 99 chain tensioner.

Swing arm bearings well apparently as I know you know that is one of the biggest weaknesses of this quad, but seems rather quick for it to go out.

Also I am noticing from your post a trend that keeps refering to the "right side", do you forget to tighten stuff up on the right side possibly? Just asking because of the afore mentioned reason.

The carb, are you saying the idle screw was physically hitting the slide and you had to "carve" the slide in order to make it move?</end quote></div>

The slide had a dimple in it from the idle screw. I had to sand it down with a dremel. The throttle was locked up and I couldnt give it gas, I had to idle it back to the garage and help it by pushing it up a hill. I guess its a problem to watch out for if your engine vibrates a lot. Mine vibrates so much I cant keep a bolt in it. Keep in mind all I have is a wiseco 80 over piston. Everything else inside is stock. I assume wiseco did their research and made a piston the right weight.... But after talking to one of their salesman on the phone one day, nothing would surprise me about wiseco.

Yup, the right side. Everything on the right side went out and the left is all good. The tie rod bolt came out of the spindle at the right wheel. The swingarm bearing on the right side has at least 1/16 play. The left seems tight still. The right rear hub that goes on the axle is loose and I used red (permanent) locktite and a 450ft-lb impact to put the nut on. I see no other alternative but to weld the hub to the axle. Any more torque on that nut and the threads might strip. I dont know why everything is on the right side. Its not very likely that I forgot to tighten anything. I'm pretty obsessive about that.

I have the cam type chain adjuster on mine (1986). The bolts were so tight I almost couldnt get them loose with a set of pliers from my buddy's king quad toolkit under the seat. (I have SAE bolts and not metric - so it takes a 1/2 socket, which doesnt come in the kit, hence the pliers). I have the little bolt you are talking about too. Its there to keep the carrier from sliding to the left. No,,, all the bolts were tight, and I didnt have any trouble for a long time until yesterday. I thought the ct99 solved all my problems and the CCOS was a thing of the past.

I bought new bearings sometime in the spring - early summer. I put a zerk in there and just grease them the other day. Grease came squirting out the seals.... Thats how I know to stop pumping.

Old 12-27-2007, 05:28 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default 85 to 87 Suzuki LT230S help.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: PoolGod230

I Don't think its your riding style! I ride like a madman, more in the air than on the ground! Maybe TOO wide up front? And I think it comes down to shocks, again sorry.

Felling pretty good today, glad my wife typed for me last night![img][/img]

Could barely see the screen![img][/img]</end quote></div>

Good you're feeling better!

I dont know if my riding has a lot to do with it or not, but it cant help. Like I said before though, riding around the house and in the woods here I never have a problem.... As soon as I go on the mountains trails with the rocks and all the jumps is when things start falling off. I think its about 1 or 2 times out of 10 that something DOESNT fall off while riding there. I can ride around the yard and THINK I'm beating the **** out of it and nothing goes wrong, but up there its a POS.

I dont putt around. When I'm up there I give it full throttle constantly until my arms are too tired to hang on anymore. Usually I run off and leave who ever is with me and that gives me plently to time to ****, lite a smoke, get a drink and sit for a while before the rest of my party comes strolling along. Riding like that across rocks and jumps,,, its no wonder I cant keep it together. My whole quad needs totally redesigned. It just cant take the abuse like it is. (actually, its a wonder I havent thrown a rod by now the way I rev it out for so long... I've been expecting it).

I'll get to the bottom of the problem and post some pics n ideas,,, you can count on that! LOL

Old 12-27-2007, 05:38 PM
Trailblazer
Default 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JustRandy

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: mikem92

has anyone put 22 in. tires in with front with the 22s in the back? I wouldn't think it would change the gearing, but you guys would know better than me. How does it handle? Am i better off with 22s or the 21s (stock size)?</end quote></div>

I have 23's in front with 20's in back. That is the best combo for trail riding where fair size rocks litter the trail and you want to slide sideways around corners.

I went riding today and most of the rocks I didnt even try to avoid, the 23's coast right over them. The back end bounces around sometimes when I hit something big, but I'm not going back to 22's just for that!

Sounds to me that 22's in back with 21's in front would be horrible on the trail. Too much nose diving and too hard to slide. Plus 21's are too small for the big rocks. That sounds like a hill climbing setup to me.</end quote></div>

Well I just put new rear tires on that i desperetly needed but i didnt have enough cash to change the gearing too so i just stuck with the 22s. now i will probably put 22s in the front because i need new fronts also. This does climb great with the current setup btw.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:21 PM
Pro Rider

Dura blue makes a 1 piece locking axle nut, one came with my axle, only need one on their heavy duty axle, I think rockymountain has em for about $25..

Old 12-27-2007, 08:11 PM
Pro Rider

i thought i would share this article i read in todays paper
part 1

part2

and if that didnt work here is teh URL
part 1

http://img183.imageshack.us/im.../atvarticle001zx3.jpg

part2

http://img183.imageshack.us/im...7/atvarticle002qd8.jpg

Old 12-27-2007, 08:27 PM
Pro Rider

[
i thought i would share this article i read in todays paper

Yeah they've tried some garbage like that here as well, just follow the money trail!

Old 12-27-2007, 08:40 PM
Pro Rider

Yo QS230 on the Jersey Shore http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...rdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Looks like works shock front and rear, extended aluminum swingarm, bet you could pick it up CHEAP!

Old 12-28-2007, 01:57 AM
Pro Rider

thanks for the link PG im in north jeresy, but i might just have to contact teh seller and make a deal outside ebay

Old 12-28-2007, 03:26 AM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: PoolGod230

Dura blue makes a 1 piece locking axle nut, one came with my axle, only need one on their heavy duty axle, I think rockymountain has em for about $25..</end quote></div>

Thanks, but they dont have them for the 230,,, only the 250r and 400. And they cost $35 [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] All they are is a cut down the side with a screw to clamp the gap together. I could make one and try it I guess, but I'm not really expecting it to work. Never know though...

Old 12-28-2007, 03:48 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I'm all done with aluminum! Nothing but trouble! Good for rims and handlebars n things like that maybe, but not sprockets, bearing retainers, etc critical things.

I got my swingarm off and cleaned up. Took some pics, but they still on the camera out in the garage n I'm tired.... Anyway, my bud n I came to a solution that should be the end of all swingarm problems,,, FOREVER!!! He knows a couple machinists that owe him favors so we plan to remake the tube that is welded to the swingarm.... Only this time out of THICK, THICK steel tube! Everything will be a super tight fit when its done. All new machined parts, new bolt, new bearings n seals. It will take a stick of tnt to knock my swingarm out of line!

The heart of the problem is the metal the tube is made from is just too thin. Its pretty obvious once you look at it. Mine is all egg shaped and bent on the chain side. Wait till you see a pic of my "new" bearings.... One piece of the bearing is still stuck in the tube and it will take an act of god to get it out!

My chain guard was beaten to a pulp by all the rocks too. I had to beef that up with 1/8 angle iron welded on in addition to what's already there. One piece that bolts to the s-arm had what looked like a bullet hole from a 45 caliber! The mounting perch had almost pushed all the way thru. I had to beat that back into shape with a sledge, weld angle to it, and redrill the holes. I added about 5 lbs of steel so I should be ready to run over land mines now!

All this damage in 3hrs of riding.... And I still haven't tackled the front tie rod problem yet.

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.