Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 03:07 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: quadsport230

ive always used just a regular chain, my dad knows this bearing/gear shop that he gets parts from for work and he gets cahin there, its really cheap and lasts pretty long, and i dont even take good care of teh chain lol</end quote></div>

Yeah, I was reading reviews at rockymountain and a lot of those guys were running regular chains on CR250 (2-stroke) or 450's (4-stroke) and said they didn't have too many problems with stretching. They last about a whole season of racing every weekend and riding during the week.

I did a little brain flexing last night and rekoned it takes 0.1 ft-lbs to accelerate a 1lb chain 3.576 m/s^2 (140.8 in/s^2). That should be the same acceleration to get a quad with 20 inch tires going 20mph in .5 seconds (not unreasonable because I dont care if the wheels slip, I'm only interested in the acceleration of the chain). 0.1 ft-lbs is not a lot, but its at least 0.5% of the available torque for a 230. Not sure if its a difference you could feel or not.

Old 01-08-2008, 03:20 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: fishguybri

another long day in the garage. I am starting to enjoy it now that I have a routine. Its actually better then a jobby job.

I have decided to take morning off and take the 230 out for a spin. today was unseasonably beautiful, and all I could think about was riden. I am going to the old crannberry bogs to have a blast venting all worries for a few hours. CANT WAIT

i am picking up a running honda 250x in the afternoon to tear down at my shop. I think I might keep this one around a week or two just to blast around the honda seen a bit HAH HAH this guy says i will like it better then my lil turd (thats what I call my LT 230). I say he is nuts I am just not a fan of size. I like the smaller bikes, one of my favs being an old blaster that I sold in broke times.</end quote></div>

Those old 250x are pretty cool. I dont hear too much about them anymore (although I did see one broken down on the trail the other day - first one I've seen in 10yrs). It had a 74x57.3 bore n stroke. You could really get that thing to wind out and get a lot of topend HP out of it. The old Mojave too had a 74x58. Both those quad were pretty quick. And the new 250 Raptor has a 74x58.... But they didn't have the stump pulling action the 230s have with its 66x67.

Btw, the new 250ex has a 68.5x62.2 bore n stroke.... For reference.

Old 01-08-2008, 03:49 PM
Pro Rider

I have always been a fan of the cheap chains myself. lost a sponsor when I was about 19-20yrs old because of it![img]i/expressions/devil.gif[/img]

One of my dad's old tricks was to store his chains in motor oil. When ready to use it, let it hang till it stops drippin, spray it with chain lube, install and go! I forget the logic in it, but I still do it for some reason.

Old 01-08-2008, 03:58 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Yeah, a while back I read that BigMc said something about soaking the chain in oil over the winter. That's something I did while mine was torn down for a while last summer. And I think he said something about heating the oil and letting the o-rings expand to get the oil inside - that, of course, only works for an oring chain.

Old 01-08-2008, 04:03 PM
Trailblazer

my ride kicked all sorts of tail.

Randy you sure do know your numbers. and I agree with the no match for the 230 in stump pullin. I have riden with this guy and taken his quad for a spin in front of him but everyone gets nervous when I ride there quads so I stay in front of them and just play a little. when I own it it will be pushed to the limits before I tear it down. it has a low end dg pipe. I can wheelie this thing at 2 miles per hour just balancing all day. I do like the performance it has been garaged and he is the second owner after it sat four 6 years. I helped him with the carb rebuild and lubin everything before he started riding it. the thing is in awesome shape. I'll know for sure what I think when I get it to my parents woods this weekend.

Old 01-08-2008, 04:11 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Looks like only EK and DID give the specs for their chains, and accordingly, the 520MRDL6 is the lightest EK chain @ 2.84lbs. The lightest DID chains are 520ERS2 @ 2.53lbs, 520ERM2 @ 2.95lbs, 520ERT2 @ 2.99lbs.

The 520SRX is a pretty good chain by EK. It weighs 3.11lbs and is an x-ring too. Looks like the lightest x-ring DID has weighs 3.3lbs.

The El Cheapo chains from EK weigh 3.25lbs and from DID they weigh 3.5lbs.

Old 01-08-2008, 04:12 PM
Trailblazer

i just put the atc chain in a bucket of oil last night. there must be some logic in it, I got it from my uncle who swore by it. started when I was twelve with my first bike.

I hope big MC is still watchin this thread. he started a winner, when I first joined i was proud to here from him on one of my dumb questions. this thread helped me learn all the differences from two stroke to four becuase this 230 is my first 4 stroke. what a better way to learn then with great people with identical motors and all the time allready invested in makin them scream. THANKS AGAIN GUYS.

Old 01-08-2008, 04:16 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: fishguybri

my ride kicked all sorts of tail.

Randy you sure do know your numbers. and I agree with the no match for the 230 in stump pullin. I have riden with this guy and taken his quad for a spin in front of him but everyone gets nervous when I ride there quads so I stay in front of them and just play a little. when I own it it will be pushed to the limits before I tear it down. it has a low end dg pipe. I can wheelie this thing at 2 miles per hour just balancing all day. I do like the performance it has been garaged and he is the second owner after it sat four 6 years. I helped him with the carb rebuild and lubin everything before he started riding it. the thing is in awesome shape. I'll know for sure what I think when I get it to my parents woods this weekend.</end quote></div>

Might be a little out of character, but I do like numbers. Not always good with them, lol, but I like to "play" around with them. I'm always on the receiving end of everybody's puzzles n brain teasers they get from work or where ever.

Old 01-08-2008, 04:17 PM
Trailblazer

so the cheapo chains actually weigh a bit more then some of the others you listed. could you possibly tell me where i can get a EK 520MRDL6. is there a site I can order one from. my chain is about due a replacement. THANKS

Old 01-08-2008, 04:22 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JustRandy

Yeah, a while back I read that BigMc said something about soaking the chain in oil over the winter. That's something I did while mine was torn down for a while last summer. And I think he said something about heating the oil and letting the o-rings expand to get the oil inside - that, of course, only works for an oring chain.</end quote></div>

I just do it on regular chains!! Maybe that's why I don't like the oring chains! I can't follow instructions! LOL[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.