Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 07:37 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

The KLX125 has 30 and 26mm valves. Nothing like the 230, which has 32 and 28mm. And the 250 is 33 and 28.

http://catalog.vesrah.co.jp/list/engine_valve.asp

Old 02-03-2008, 07:39 PM
Elite Pro Rider

The DR200 also has a 33mm intake valve. GG-3049. 33x5.5x89.97mm. 28mm exhaust

Old 02-03-2008, 08:21 PM
Trailblazer

i put lt230 32/28 valves in my klx 125 head.

Old 02-03-2008, 10:19 PM
Pro Rider

hey everyone, im new to the form but i just got home with an '88 qs230 and i cant wait to get to work on it!

i got it for $850 and it has one mean sounding pipe on it (just a slip on dg rcm, but its still nice), and new tires all around (yfz450 tires in the back, average looking tires up front) and was just rebuilt last season with a new clutch. but i got a little more than i bargained for - it has a front master cylinder setup off of some streetbike and i think the displacement is too large (i.e. it moves alot of fluid but not at high pressure - so the brakes are pretty weak), and it has a twist throttle (I HATE THEM!!!). it also is missing the stock light and has two little lights on each corner of the bumper kinda like a shee. BUT, i want the originals and i dont think the stock alternator could handle that dual setup anyway. it has a nice fancy clutch lever, but not the little electrical control thats supposed to be next to it, and its missing the little keyswitch that the microfiche says should be there. in its place it has a dirtbike momentary kill on the wrong side! and you have to take your hand off the grip to reach it (what a pain!) the parking brake is gone i dont really care but i want a blockoff for it. then theres lots of little cheap but time consuming things to be done but i wont get into that.

now, for the mods to come!

a stage 1 or 2 web cam (which one?)
valve springs
big valves & porting from madmanengineering (can they even do it for me?)
big bore kit from fst (does that include a high compression piston?)
hi performance carb from vinces (is it any good? will it handle 265cc with porting?)
maybe front spacers and a +3 durablue axle)

idk what else as far as power, any suggestions?

thanks

Old 02-03-2008, 11:19 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: lt230sman

hey everyone, im new to the form but i just got home with an '88 qs230 and i cant wait to get to work on it!

i got it for $850 and it has one mean sounding pipe on it (just a slip on dg rcm, but its still nice), and new tires all around (yfz450 tires in the back, average looking tires up front) and was just rebuilt last season with a new clutch. but i got a little more than i bargained for - it has a front master cylinder setup off of some streetbike and i think the displacement is too large (i.e. it moves alot of fluid but not at high pressure - so the brakes are pretty weak), and it has a twist throttle (I HATE THEM!!!). it also is missing the stock light and has two little lights on each corner of the bumper kinda like a shee. BUT, i want the originals and i dont think the stock alternator could handle that dual setup anyway. it has a nice fancy clutch lever, but not the little electrical control thats supposed to be next to it, and its missing the little keyswitch that the microfiche says should be there. in its place it has a dirtbike momentary kill on the wrong side! and you have to take your hand off the grip to reach it (what a pain!) the parking brake is gone i dont really care but i want a blockoff for it. then theres lots of little cheap but time consuming things to be done but i wont get into that.

valve springs

hi performance carb from vinces (is it any good? will it handle 265cc with porting?)

thanks</end quote></div>

Welcome, that is all I can give u, Randy and others can give the tech you are lookin for!!!

All I know is, if you go 18 and 0, it don't mean ****, if you can't win the Super Bowl!!! Bwahahahahahahaha!!!

Old 02-04-2008, 12:06 AM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: lt230sman

valve springs

thanks</end quote></div>

Welcome! Go back about 2 or 3 pages and start reading this thread. We just finished talking about cams n carbs. Not that anybody came to a conclusion... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] But we talked about them.

Not sure what madman can do. You'll have to call n ask. I called him a couple days ago about a BB kit and he didn't seem to interested in anything to do with the 230.

BB kits include a high comp wiseco piston.

I didn't know vince still sold carbs? He said he's trying to get out of the 230 parts business, but you can call n ask.

When you put in the BB kit, you should have vince redo your crank and add a +4 rod. You "may" have to get a 250 cam chain and probably will have to use a few base gaskets to move the jug higher.

I didn't see KN filter on that list. You should get one and throw your airbox lid in the trash.

Ask vince his opinion of porting the 230 when you call him tomorrow. Let me know what he says. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-04-2008, 09:50 AM
Pro Rider

Well, dug out my patriots team wear and went on base and got me a Heineken Kegger and invited the in-laws....and was ready for the Pat win[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] That didn't happen[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Wow I missed about 3 pages of stuff, welcome new people!

Old 02-04-2008, 07:12 PM
Pro Rider

hey i got another question- when i went and got it the guy had it started first kick, but it was in his garage. the idle was low and i needed to keep tapping the throttle to keep it running. well i fixed that by turning the idle screw on the side of the carb and it idles ok now but anyway, the guy said i never need to use the choke and it starts good even in the cold. it drove fine and it was all nice. i get home and tried to start it on my trailer; every throttle position, kicking and kicking, choke on ond off, more kicking, nothing. my dad pushed me around for a little bit and i tried to clutch start it - it cranked but no luck. then i kicked it at just about wot a few times and it started. ok fine - it wants alot of throttle. well the next day i go out to start it and the same thing - nothing! i even gave it tons of ether and it popped a few times but not nearly as much as it should have. i gave it a fresh gallon of gas figuring the guy jipped me on fuel - NOTHING!! i finaly spayed TONS of ether in, and it started at idle; WTF??? please help me because my leg aint gonna be in one piece for much longer if it keeps starting like this.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:09 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Sounds like the same sorta thing I went thru forever with mine. I finally changed the magneto coil and it starts 2nd kick at most all the time now.

1) You need a new needle and needle jet in your carb. The vibrations over the yrs wear a place in them and make tuning the carb impossible.
2) Your weak coil lets it flood to easy,,, add to that the carb problem I mentioned before. You have to kick it a couple times with the throttle wide open to clear the flooding.
3) Turn the idle screw back down to where the other guy had it. Don't touch the throttle. Then use the kicker to position the piston on the compression stroke. Then snap open the compression release and kick hard. It should start. Then give it gas to rev it up. Then turn the idle screw up so it will stay running. When you shut it off for the night, turn the idle screw back down. It won't start easy with the throttle open too much. You really need a new magneto coil. About $40. Get the coil before you end up cussing the quad and selling it,,,,,, or worse!

Old 02-04-2008, 09:11 PM
Pro Rider

ok, thanks but i dont have a compression release (well it had one, but the lever is gone for it (just a clutch) is that part of my problem?

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.