Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 09:22 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by atvman29
If you wanted, you could also get a new (used) one on eBay for under $20. I got mine for $14.99. Can't beat that deal!
I tried that once and ended up in a dispute and finally got my money back after a couple months. Most most feedbacks for the guy were thanking him for the empty box with a hole in it. I didn't even get that.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:23 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by atvman29
Everyone feel free to put a link in your sig too if you wish! It'll just make it easier for people to get there.
I think you should change the name to "If you need 230 help, click this" or something.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:29 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by bashr52
Chances are that one would be brokem/cracked too, and I'd be in the same boat! Mine is stronger than stock now, and I doubt it'll break there again!

I didn't realize the airbox had that much to do with it. I guess today I re-set everything with the 115 jet, and see what happens with the airbox hooked up.
I didn't either till I called the dial-a-jet guy and got a reaming for not running an airbox. I told him I used to run velocity stacks on my old 750 honda, but he just said its easy to make peak hp, making a nice flat torque curve is hard. You need an airbox to get the gas out of the bowl efficiently. Or else you need a really small carb. Or else you need a supplemental fuel injection system (hence the dial-a-jet... And its barely enough. I'm thinking of running dual dial-a-jets.).

Old 06-12-2009, 11:22 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by JustRandy
I didn't either till I called the dial-a-jet guy and got a reaming for not running an airbox. I told him I used to run velocity stacks on my old 750 honda, but he just said its easy to make peak hp, making a nice flat torque curve is hard. You need an airbox to get the gas out of the bowl efficiently. Or else you need a really small carb. Or else you need a supplemental fuel injection system (hence the dial-a-jet... And its barely enough. I'm thinking of running dual dial-a-jets.).
OK everything is back to stock except the 115 main. Idles smooth now with full-1/4 choke, idle adjustment screw does its thing. Take off the choke completely, and it dies. Give it some choke, crack the throttle, dies. Rev the throttle a few times till it catches, and will rev to full RPM. Hold it there, and its happy. Get RPM's up, take off choke, runs fine, dies when it falls back to idle. Breaks up all through mid-range. Since the pilot jet is what meters the gas at Idle, wouldnt I need a bigger one of them as well? I even drained the tank and added all new gas thinking that may be a prob, no difference.

Oh and it will pop and shoot flames out the exhaust sometimes as well. When you crack the throttle, you can hear the intake noise as it starts sucking air before it dies.

Old 06-12-2009, 11:50 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Definitely still lean plus it needs to warm up. My bayou (running the 230 carb) won't run for a few minutes in the morning, but then runs a bit rich when its really hot. So, I haul a few loads of dirt, then hit it with the hose to cool it back down. I'm thinking the 230 carb is a pos (piece of ****).

The only way to know if you need a different pilot is if you can't get the rpms to rise and then fall by turning the mixture screw. If you turn the screw out till it comes out of the carb and the rpms never slow, you need a bigger pilot. If the screw bottoms before the rpms fall, you need a smaller pilot. Keep turning the idle speed screw down and playing with the mixture screw until you get the idle speed screw out as far as you can. Turn one screw, then turn the other, turn one, then the other, etc, etc.

Btw, what did you do with that hole? Plug it or leave it open?

Old 06-12-2009, 11:57 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by JustRandy
Definitely still lean plus it needs to warm up. My bayou (running the 230 carb) won't run for a few minutes in the morning, but then runs a bit rich when its really hot. So, I haul a few loads of dirt, then hit it with the hose to cool it back down. I'm thinking the 230 carb is a pos (piece of ****).

The only way to know if you need a different pilot is if you can't get the rpms to rise and then fall by turning the mixture screw. If you turn the screw out till it comes out of the carb and the rpms never slow, you need a bigger pilot. If the screw bottoms before the rpms fall, you need a smaller pilot. Keep turning the idle speed screw down and playing with the mixture screw until you get the idle speed screw out as far as you can. Turn one screw, then turn the other, turn one, then the other, etc, etc.

Btw, what did you do with that hole? Plug it or leave it open?
The hole is open. I re-set everything back to factory specs, except the 115 main. Do you think I should just try adjusting the needle, or going up again on the main jet? I have a 117.5 I can try. I'll let it idle and do its thing with full-half choke until it is warm.

Old 06-12-2009, 12:09 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Yeah, try the bigger jet and move the needle to a richer setting. You want to make sure the jet is big enough so you can set the needle. Worry about tuning the mainjet later. Move the needle clip one spot at a time. If there is an improvement after each move, then you're on the right track and its only a matter of time till you get it right.

Old 06-12-2009, 12:52 PM
Pro Rider

OK at High RPM runs great with the choke off, will not idle with choke completely off. Just leave the choke cracked slightly, and it will idle fine. Idle screw isnt really making a change to anything. I'm wondering if I've been screwingv with the main jet, and its been the pilot juet all along. Wouldnt the main jet only have an effect from like 1/4 or 1/2 throttle to WOT?

Old 06-12-2009, 01:16 PM
Elite Pro Rider

The mainjet really doesn't do much until you're pretty much wide open. It can have some effect on lower throttle openings... For instance if you find the needle is best on the bottom clip, but the mainjet is too small, so you increase the mainjet only to find you now need to lean out the needle. Everything overlaps.

Likewise with the pilot, as soon as you open the throttle, the pilot is pretty much useless. The hole is just too small compared to the big throttle opening and needle-jet hole.

It sounds to me like you need a bigger pilot. Are you sure the pilot is clean? Run some wire thru it from a bread-tie or guitar string to be sure. Just blowing air and cleaner thru it is sometimes not enough.

Old 06-12-2009, 02:07 PM
Pro Rider

Yes it's clean and clear. Here's what I'm going to do. Pull the pilot and run it, see what it does. If its better, I'll ream out the hole. Here's my thoughts, the pilot works from idle to low RPM (1/8 throttle?) Needle works mid range, and main is mid to WOT. So by changing these I can tune my power band. I know the top end is running, so now I need to work at the bottom, and work up to fine tuning the main jet based on plug color once I can get it going. And if it's still stumbling in the mid, I can play with the needle.

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.