Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 11:58 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

lasvegascar2
I've never delved into the kick started part.... Maybe somebody else here has???? I have a manual and an engine sitting out in the garage on the bench if that might help ya. Like you said though, I can't see anything amiss in the pics.

Are you sure its the lick starter and not piston seized up?

I was wondering, does it say "1400ml" or "2000ml" on the right side of the engine???

Old 04-29-2008, 12:00 AM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: BigMc

Thats ok, I love a challenge. Just ordered a new stator, sprokets and DID chain from BikeBandit. This chain has about 5 years on it. I figure the new one will be the last one ill need. Ive got my cylinder and big bore kit in the same box with a rebuildable crank and a new rod kit. I might even do something with them this year[img][/img] After that, new bearings for the spare case, and a short list of small stuff, ill have my spare motor assembled and ready to shoehorn into the 230ish. And I still want to do something with this 250 motor. Never can tell what might take priority.</end quote></div>

Love to have ya wrenching with me when I tear mine apart for the 4th gear change and the crank removal and send off! Sounds like we would both be in the same territory.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:04 AM
BigMc
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lasvegascar2
The pics look good. I can see nothing obvious. (unless you include the leppord skin bumpers) Id go a little deeper. Pull the wire strainer from the bottom of the case (at the oil drain hole ), look for metaallic pieces or shavings. What does the stator cover look like? Any damage? Locked up might mean your piston and cylinder wall are now one. Bad, but not the end of the line by a long shot. Im shure JR has a question or four also.

Good to hear from you man. Hope to hear from you more. Need anything? Holler....

BigMc

Old 04-29-2008, 12:06 AM
BigMc

Have you got the gear? i have a couple transmissions. <div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JustRandy

Thats ok, I love a challenge. Just ordered a new stator, sprokets and DID chain from BikeBandit. This chain has about 5 years on it. I figure the new one will be the last one ill need. Ive got my cylinder and big bore kit in the same box with a rebuildable crank and a new rod kit. I might even do something with them this year[IMG][/IMG] After that, new bearings for the spare case, and a short list of small stuff, ill have my spare motor assembled and ready to shoehorn into the 230ish. And I still want to do something with this 250 motor. Never can tell what might take priority.</end quote></div>

Love to have ya wrenching with me when I tear mine apart for the 4th gear change and the crank removal and send off! Sounds like we would both be in the same territory.</end quote></div>

Old 04-29-2008, 12:13 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Yeah, I got a box of gears off ebay a few months ago.

You have 250S trannies???

Old 04-29-2008, 12:15 AM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JustRandy

lasvegascar2

I've never delved into the kick started part.... Maybe somebody else here has???? I have a manual and an engine sitting out in the garage on the bench if that might help ya. Like you said though, I can't see anything amiss in the pics.

Are you sure its the lick starter and not piston seized up?

I was wondering, does it say "1400ml" or "2000ml" on the right side of the engine???</end quote></div>

It says 1400ml.

This spring is ok then? LOL. I was hoping that was it.

Oh well. I'll follow whatever you guys recommend, (and take pics along the way).

Old 04-29-2008, 12:23 AM
BigMc

Nope. I guess Im too used to offering assistance. (Consider the source)
But now I may be collecting 250 parts. <div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JustRandy

You have 250S trannies???</end quote></div>

Old 04-29-2008, 12:23 AM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: lasvegascar2
It says 1400ml.

This spring is ok then? LOL. I was hoping that was it.

Oh well. I'll follow whatever you guys recommend, (and take pics along the way).</end quote></div>

You have a rare one then. They only made the 1400ml ones till the end of July 1985. It may have collector value one day. Never know.... However, there were many improvement thru the years and some things you should probably at least be aware of.... Depending on your plans with the quad.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:27 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Nope. I guess Im too used to offering assistance. (Consider the source)

But now I may be collecting 250 parts. <div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JustRandy

You have 250S trannies???</end quote></div></end quote></div>

You'd love the 250S. I don't know if you've read when I carried on in the past, but I'm basically spending all this money to make my 230 the same thing my buddy's 250 is stock that is worth only $350. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

The only real problem with the 250 is the plastics and seat. There's not too many out there that is any good. And its hard to find aftermarket ones.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:29 AM
Elite Pro Rider

The 250S 4th gear is a lower gear that is closer to 3rd and not so big of a jump when shifting from 3rd to 4th. It should be a direct replacement. ....One of the "improvements" suzuki did.

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.