Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 03:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JustRandy

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: gforce34

Wow been crazy round here. I bought a 1976 Starcraft Starlette XL Pop-up camper and then I turned around and bought a 2006 F250 Superduty 4x4. Anywho I hope to get the motor on the quad completely assembled today and if things calm down have it running by this weekend.</end quote></div>

Hey Gforce! Can't wait to hear the report on your new engine! That superduty sounds cool too! It should pull that popup like it wasn't even there. [img][/img]

Hey, I was gonna say something about the jug from Kustom Kraft. I got mine a couple weeks ago and it looks like they sandblasted the head gasket surface. I don't know how that will go, but I intend to sand it smooth. I thought I'd bring it up to see what you thought.</end quote></div>

Mine looked pretty good, I didn't see any pits or nicks on the gasket surface and it appeared level when I put my metal file across it, it was pretty dang shiny too....plus the last time I sanded something I get chastised for it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 04-24-2008, 03:12 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: PoolGod230

Wow been crazy round here. I bought a 1976 Starcraft Starlette XL Pop-up camper and then I turned around and bought a 2006 F250 Superduty 4x4. Anywho I hope to get the motor on the quad completely assembled today and if things calm down have it running by this weekend.</end quote></div>

I had the exact same trailer till about a year ago! Geez, was it ugly, but dang functional!! We took that thing everywhere! wind, snow, rain, fun lil thing, it survived it all!!! We called it the ghetto guest house!! Gave it to my neighbor when we bought our toyhauler..... Still goin to this day, and still ugly as sin![img][/img]</end quote></div>

Yep it ain't no beauty queen but like you said it should do the job. Hopefully someday in the not to distant future I will have a 5th wheel toy hauler[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-24-2008, 03:13 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Yeah, I remember that! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] How's it coming along then?

Old 04-24-2008, 03:15 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Yep it ain't no beauty queen but like you said it should do the job. Hopefully someday in the not to distant future I will have a 5th wheel toy hauler[img][/img]</end quote></div>

Yeah, you can use that little trailer to pull BEHIND the quads instead of HAULING them. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-24-2008, 04:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

Newbie here just picked up a 87 LT230S, Doesn't run yet. But hopefully soon.

Casey

Old 04-24-2008, 05:45 PM
Trailblazer

Bruicat, I think somebody just put an 87 or newer s-arm on yours because the bearings were probably bad in the original. The 87, 88 just happened to be what they had available to them.</end quote></div>

not that the year matters too much, but i did get the # off the engine. its J411-156482. is there some way of identifying what year by that #? is it the swing arm that wont accept diff year bearings or the frame? also is there anything i need to watch for when pulling the left engine cover?

man i need a repair manual...

Old 04-24-2008, 09:42 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Flyntrd

Newbie here just picked up a 87 LT230S, Doesn't run yet. But hopefully soon.

Casey</end quote></div>

Welcome Casey! Hopefully we can get it running.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:46 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: quadsport230

thanks randy, with some luck my parts might be in today. i just need to get soem lapping compound, hone the cylinder and im good to start the rebuild. im kinda getting a littel giddy lol!</end quote></div>

I hope I don't end up bursting your bubble,,, but I'd want someone to tell me. You need to check your rod for play. It shouldn't wiggle very much at all. Moving side to side is ok, but not rocking side to side. There is a difference. Also, if you put the wrist pin in the rod and it wiggles any at all, your piston will flop all over in the cylinder. If your rod is worn out, your new bore job will be junk in 6-9 months or so.... Depending on how hard you ride it and how good of a job the guy did that bored it. The tighter the bore, the better the piston will stay straight. Therefore, if your rod is worn, don't hone very much off. Just hone enough to get the cross hatch and stop! (The guy that bored it should have honed it too). My .060 job only lasted me 9 months and I didn't really ride it that much. But when I did ride it, I beat the **** out of it! In 9 months it was smoking. Too bad I didn't know about the rod issue back then when I did the bore job.

If you want to correct the rod problem, you can send the crank off and get a new rod that is stronger than stock for $130. That's what I'm doing and that's one of the reasons its taking me so long to get mine up n going. I decided I don't want to keeping boring it out every year. Plus, I'm getting a +4 rod so I can rev out a little more.</end quote></div>

Thanks for the info randy, i had checked my rod and its still in good shape. i didnt have the cylinder bored, i just honed the stock bore.

the only thing holding me back right now is the stupid valve springs, if i could put the head back together the motor would have been good to put in first thing in the morning. im gonan run down to my local auto parts store and see if i can get one there.

if nothing catostrophic happens ill have the quad ready to ride again before dark tomorrow. i will ride this weekend!

Old 04-24-2008, 09:50 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Bruincat

Bruicat, I think somebody just put an 87 or newer s-arm on yours because the bearings were probably bad in the original. The 87, 88 just happened to be what they had available to them.</end quote></div>

not that the year matters too much, but i did get the # off the engine. its J411-156482. is there some way of identifying what year by that #? is it the swing arm that wont accept diff year bearings or the frame? also is there anything i need to watch for when pulling the left engine cover?

man i need a repair manual...</end quote></div>

I don't know of a way to get the yr from the part numbers.

Everything on the s-arms interchange between 86 and 87. I know because I've taken good parts from an 87 and used them on my 86. The only difference in the 2 is the way you tighten the chain.

THe left cover is the magneto cover. Nothing really to know except if you take any screws out of the inside, be sure to use red loctite when you put them back. DON'T use loctite on the cover screws though.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:08 PM
Trailblazer

i called my local zuk shop earlier, and they told me the swing arm bearings are the same. the bearings they have have superseded all other part #s. came across this listed as 85-88 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...rdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V. mis-information or new bearing design?

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.