Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 02:53 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

One of the great things about the 230 is the weight distribution lends itself to excellent traction. However, the frame is too short to deal with that traction without bringing up the front wheels. The ultimate solution in this case is to lengthen the front part of the frame to push the front wheels forward. Adding length to the swingarm is a band-aid fix and you'll end up with the same problems the warrior had (and the raptor version attempted to fix). I'm planning to add 4 inches to my swingarm because I have 47 inches of width and I didn't want to deal with the plastic not mounting up right after I cut the frame and welded it longer. Its much easier to just tack on 4 inches to the s-arm, but its not the best setup. That said, I wouldn't go any more than that or traction will really suffer.

The R450 is 49 inches wide and 50.6 inches of wheelbase. So, a 230 with 47 inches wide is no good at 44.5 inches of wheelbase, but add 4 inches and its 47 x 48.5..... and that's about right. You'll just need to sit 4 more inches back on the seat. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I just thought I'd throw that out there since everybody is choppin.

Old 07-15-2008, 02:57 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Everything you want to know about shocks: http://www.worksperformance.com/pdf/app_guide/atv.pdf

Old 07-15-2008, 03:06 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Clean_salvaged_BRI
Randy, Have yo ever sold anything on e-bay. You do not need a store unless you get the sales for it. selling as a member is actually a lot easier. You should try some things that are simple and small to ship first. Old video games are perfect to start with. Take one good picture and just click sell in you summary. it is easy to learn there catogorizing with a simple game. plus you can put in a flat rate shipping for a flat rate envelope. after you have a few good feedbacks as a seller people will buy motor parts without worrying about being ripped off. It is harder to sell motor parts then other things, I get tons of questions. If you list a game with one picture and a starting bid of .99 cents it only cost .15 cents to list it.</end quote></div>

I sold a couple things, but most of the stuff I need to sell is big and/or heavy. I sold my Atari 5200 a long time ago, lol.

I need to sell:

A bunch of atv rims
A variety of atv parts I have laying around
A cylinder head from a car I rebuilt and now can't use
Various other cars parts.
A ford 9 inch rear pig with 470 gears (or just the gears)
A new honda pressure washer
A roll-up door, lol.
and 100's of other things I can't think of at the moment.... maybe a bunch of old books....?

Old 07-15-2008, 03:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My friend has a 300ex for his wife that I measured and found that it was a little longer and thought of adding the length before the shock mount. however for the price I have been seeing for some rear factory rezi shocks I figured why not have something nicer that is a little more adjustable and could probably handle my weight a little better? I will probably use the 300ex as a last resort so to speak. I was only going to add about 2" to the s-arm anyways.

Old 07-15-2008, 04:02 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Anything will work if you're willing to move the shock mounts and possibly strap the shocks to restrict movement (if needed). You'll also have to tune the shock placement to the weight of the quad. Personally, I don't have a problem with the back shock.... But I do mostly trail riding and minimal jumping.

A quad that is wider than it is long will not want to drive straight. It will go straight, but it would rather turn. Its not a huge deal, but I guess that's why the R450 is 1 inch longer than it is wide. So, ideally, however wide you decide to go = how long you need to go +1.

Old 07-15-2008, 05:01 PM
Trailblazer

The rear swingarm assembly as well as shock and linkage are all off a 450R. The 450R had the closest measurements to fit the LT230 at the frame and also give me the length in the rear. Cost is down as the doners are often stripped after purchase for racing. As I started digging into the overall project, beefing up the original mounting tube was only one issue (I like the Ford axle idea), but I wanted additional length and width.

I can provide measurements from an '05 450R model.

Old 07-15-2008, 05:45 PM
Pro Rider

I was hoping to be able to use that same shock with my stock swing ar lengthened. I seems like it will fit with the shorter horizantaly mounted rezi. could you give me the dimension of the rezi and if it is offset to one side ot the other?

Old 07-15-2008, 08:02 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: UGLY88

I was hoping to be able to use that same shock with my stock swing ar lengthened. I seems like it will fit with the shorter horizantaly mounted rezi. could you give me the dimension of the rezi and if it is offset to one side ot the other?</end quote></div>

The rear shock reservoir is off the front/back and will hit the motor mount support unless the top shock mount is moved toward the rear and possibly down. The lower mount is designed for a link as well. Added pics of a shock to profile page

Old 07-16-2008, 09:37 AM
Pro Rider

Well I guess the search goes on. I am not looking to get that involved. The picture looks like the rezi is in the rear on the top end of the shock and you trimmed the upper frame tube that doubles as clean air intake.

Old 07-16-2008, 02:31 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Btw, the 250s stock rear shock has a rezzy and should bolt right up on the 230.

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.