Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 11:38 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Clean_salvaged_BRI

If you plus ttwo everything I am almost positive the honda 300ex front shocks will work, And they are a dime a dozen. I have some stuff from past sales that I think I can look up. I know that when I posted them I wrote the dimensions of the spring and the length from eye to eye. I will see if I can find that out. The 300ex quads are easy to find and some are in awesome shape. I will keep my eyes open.

Randy you got me wantin to start rippin this thing apart. I will need to get a good look at the crank before I give you a price, Are you sending this out to vince no matter what it looks like for a longer rod? maybe we should try to see if there is a more common and cheaper parts quad out there with the right length tie rods?</end quote></div>

The 300EX shocks are 14.38 OAL and single rate springs. The 250S shocks are 13.5 and dual rate springs. According to Works.

I don't know if the 300 shocks have another inch of travel or not.... But the overall length is an inch more. I've never riden a 300ex so I have no idea how those shocks are. The 300 Lakota also has nice shocks. You can stand on the front end and try to bounce, but you can't. They soak up all your energy. The Warrior, on the other hand, you could use as a trampoline! I am really impressed with that Lakota. But those shocks are 15 inches and the quad weighs 450lbs dry. Not sure that would work on the 230.

Its not that hard to make the tie rods longer. But if we can find something that's just as cheap and the right length and right thread pattern, I guess that's better.

You're not gonna rape me on the crank now are ya? lol [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I've been trying to decide if you should ship it here so I can be curious before I ship it to Vince... Or if I should just have you send it right to Vince. I'm just curious how it compares to mine is all. I guess it all depends on how much it costs to ship it around like that. If the quad didn't vibrate a lot then its probably not bent too badly. I know mine made my hands go numb from the vibrations. Vince is probably right, mine may not even be worth shipping to him. Or he said he may be able to use half of it and half of another crank.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:48 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Clean_salvaged_BRI

Randy you been to either of these sites <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://atv.off-road.com/atv/static/staticHtml.jsp?id=257065&atvsrcgog=racing
">http://atv.off-road.com/atv/st...tvsrcgog=racing
</a>
http://www.cheapcycleparts.com...ftermarket-chains.aspx</end quote></div>

Yeah, cheapcycleparts is the place to go for cheap oem stuff. I've just been using bikebandit coz I had $400 in gift cards I got 10% off on last year. I think I'm down to $50 left.

The other website I never saw before. But I'll have to read thru that. Thanks!

But, if you get the gift cards from bikebandit at 10% off and then find a cheaper price, bikebandit will match it and you can buy it with the gift card (which was 10% off). Its a good deal. I got a good deal on some tires that way. I'm sure the cards will go on sale again as the holidays get closer. Maybe even labor day.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:44 AM
Range Rover

I will look into those bandit cards. As far as shipping. A 230 crank fits in a flat rate box for $9.80 regardless of weight anywhere in the u.s. so I know that i can ship it to you in a flat rate box and it would cost you the same to send it to vince. I have no problem sending it to vince with your return address on the box, either way do you think that my prices are bad, should I have given a better price on the rims? I have not had a big market for rims, but the offset ones are all over a hundred bucks for a set..

I know that the moto4 I have has identical axle splines as the 230. the hubs on the rear are actually 230 hubs. so thats why I could have used these rims. I do not know what the other holes fit. I could measure them and would if I was going to post them on e-bay. If I end up posting them then I will go and find out what they fit so as I can write it in the title.

about that crank. I felt no vibrations at idle sitting still if that helps. The holes at the bottom of the steering shaft that the tie rods hook to are loose so I had some play and wobble from that. this crank I personally put bearings on last fall and it was decent, I did not look all into the rod and hammer marks and all, but the bearings slid on nice and are hardly used. this also has a wiseco and a complete gasket kit that I did all at the same time for this guy. he says he has not worked on the motor at all. He got different plastic for it and him and his brother put in swingarm and axle carrier bearings a few months after he got it back from me with a good running motor. this is still at stock bore as well. it has been honed a few times and I don"t know if that can change the compresion or what. I know that if you sand something it gets smaller, so you can only hone a jug so many times before it has to go bigger, right?

Old 08-22-2008, 02:58 AM
Elite Pro Rider

No, I've never thought your prices were bad. On the rims.... Honestly... Its tough call. I don't think the price is unreasonable,,, I guess it just depends on how fast you want to sell them. If I was in the market for rims, I would be interested in the dual bolt pattern of the rims you have, but the shiney douglas rims are mighty attractive. And there's only a $15-$30 difference in the to-the-door price. But, in not too much time the shiney rims will get all scratched up n look like **** anyway, so in my world, functionality usually carries more weight than form. I guess it all depends on who you're selling to. Gearheads like me don't care too much for looks, they just want something beefy, strong, tweaked out... The beauty is in the fact that it works. However, not many guys are gearheads. Most people (I think) would rather have a piece of cheap metal that looks good... The important part is that it looks good.

I'm probably the worst person to ask when it comes to a decision. If there's no clear-cut logical path to a solution, we'll be here all day! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] After all, I've spent the better part of a year just picking out a chain!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Are those rims aluminum? They look kinda like steel in the pics. If you measure across the bolt holes and convert to mm, then you can go here http://www.mud-throwers.com/atv_wheel_chart and find out what all they fit. If its 110mm, they fit almost anything.

Looks like rockymountain has dual patterns:

4/115 4/130 ITP Steel Wheel 9X9 3.0 + 6.0
Fits: 1986, SUZUKI, LT230S QUADSPORT
Our price: $42.95
Part# 1087260036

4/115 4/130 ITP Steel Wheel 10X8 3.0 + 5.0
Our price: $44.95
Part# 1087260026

4/115 4/130 ITP Steel Wheel 8X8.5 3.5 + 5.0
Our price: $25.95
Part# 1087260033

Looks like some THIN aluminum ones over here: http://www.southwestpowersports.com/douglas.htm

009-03 8x8 4/110-130 .125 $30.78
009-04 8X9/110&130 .125 $30.78
009-06 9X9 4/130-110 .125 $44.55

But I can't find the 10 inch wide rims you have anywhere. You could hang some serious meats on those! Those are probably quadzilla / banshee rims. That would sound good in the title of an ebay ad. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I was wondering about the splines on the hubs too. I'd like to get a set of aluminum hubs to save weight. It would be nice to have a list of what hubs fit what quad so if I saw a set on ebay I'd know.

$10 shipping ain't too awful bad.... I guess I'll decide something when you get it out. I'll also have to call Vince n let him know what's going on before he thinks somebody sent him a 230 crank for xmas or something, lol.

Old 08-22-2008, 06:00 AM
Range Rover

well I did not see any steel rims that cheap, guess I will have to create better deal. and I do remember your chain hunt. lol. I also know that if you put the crank in a smaller box and weigh it, as long as it switches postal zones it is a lot more expensive. If I remember correctly the shipping in my zone is 7 and change for a crank. If it leaves my zone it gets a flat rate box. I put a primer and two coats of rubberized undercoating on the skid plate after I modified it to fit. This was for a moto4 225 and I have a 200. I had to grind off the pig ear mounts and drill holes a bit lower to fit the back and the front has two long arms that attach to the front part of the swingarm. the extra support is becuase of the tow hitch that is part of this skid. It actually looks good after I dry mounted it before painting. I will get some pics in the morning, Oh geez it is morning. I need to go home and eat so as I can get up before 2 in the afternoon.lol

Old 08-22-2008, 08:39 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Well, I found a donor engine that should hold me until I get the crank done and the 230 engine put back together. Its a 250S engine. Now I just need a chain. What do ya think? El cheapo chain or $70 half pound lighter chain???? I'm leaning strongly towards el cheapo in this economy. I can always upgrade later when the money flows a little better. Chains don't last forever. Then I can test the difference and see IF there IS a damn difference!

LOL.... Now that I got the swingarm nice n tight, I discovered I need axle carrier bearings. Never could tell before. ...... It never ends.....

Old 08-22-2008, 10:20 PM
Range Rover

El cheapo for sure. I have had conversations with friends who race bikes and they really say the difference is scientific but not noticable. ho knows.

I took a few parts off the 230 and relized that this has itp offset rims as well. these are huge. 10 inch diameter and ten and a half wide. The offset is also more. I got pics with the tires on it. A friend has all ready claimed the meat. I have popped the bead so I can get the tires off with the machine and then I will give a choice on rims. I can let these go cheaper since I have not worked on tem. They have the same dual hole pattern as the others, The moto 4 hubs fit this other pattern. these are also steal rims, the offset is 3 1/2 on one side and 6 1/2. the diameter is 10 1/2 and the tire on it is 20 x 10 x 9. I will be posting pics in an hour or two. Am I correct in saying this is a six inch wider rear end with these?

As I mentioned earlier the axle carrier bearings is one of the things I did to this last fall. It made them relize a few rides later that the swingarm bearings went shortly after. I wonder if changing one set makes the other track differently cuasing them to finally give. I know that these where pretty good when I did the axle ones. Moral of message, If you change one do both.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...trksid=p4506.m20.l1116

Old 08-22-2008, 10:49 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Well, if the rim is 10 wide, then half of that is 5. So, if you measured 6.5 on one side, then 6.5 - 5 = 1.5 Or you can do it the other way.... 5 - 3.5 = 1.5 So, the rims will either make the back 1.5 + 1.5 wider or narrower (depending on how you flip them) than a zero offset rim. It can be confusing! I usually have to grab a pencil n draw pictures. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I don't know if a one bearing makes the other go out or not, but I think mine were bad all along and I just couldn't tell because everything else was so loose. Now the swingarm is so tight, any play anywhere will stick out like a sore thumb.

Thanks for the link!

Old 08-22-2008, 10:55 PM
Range Rover

here are those pics of the rims
Name:  00001-1.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  152.7 KB

Old 08-22-2008, 10:55 PM
Range Rover

Name:  00002-1.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  65.4 KB

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.