Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 06:00 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

randy quick question about that air filter. do you get much water in your carb with it or is the cover for it water proof because i was looking at sometihng and you said you did trail riding and it made me wonder if you got water issues. if not then im probaby going to buy one too

Old 01-14-2009, 06:36 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: HACKMUNCH

you have to be kidding me? i guess i should have never posted any of this info here. never mind. if you knew any thing you would know the accel pump is on the other side of the carb. you are looking at the head side of the carb.</end quote></div>

Geez... I just asked a question. Keep it in your pants. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Never saw one of those carbs before. What you're pointing to is the nozzle, I wanted to see the pump. Nevermind now I see it on the diagram. http://www.allensperformance.co.uk/exp-tm4.html Its just not something I've seen before.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote> there is a reason all 4 STROKE race bikes use accel pump carbs, even the small honda 150r. there is actually a 22mm pumper carb out know from mukini.</end quote></div>

Must be pretty new because the last time I looked at Sudco's catalog the 33 was the smallest for a pump. Although the smaller ones have a place for the "power jet kit". Page 37 of the 2007 Sudco Vol 33 catalog.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote> good luck making any real hp with a 2 stroke carb.</end quote></div>

Is the TM28 a 2-stroke carb??? Noooo... I said 3 times now that the VM32 won't work. I'm using the TM28.

And anyway, the VM32 was recommended by Sudco for a big bore 230. Here's what Sudco says about the VM series carb:

"These are the most popular high performance single carburetors in the sport of motorcycling. Mikuni's VM Series round slide single carburetors have proven themselves as the performance standard for use in any cylinder motorcycle and ATV application for motocross, enduro, and trail riding, to flat track racing and road racing on both 2-stroke and 4-stroke engines. Performance features for the VM Series Carburetors include a large selection of bore sizes for increased fuel mixture flow to match engine modifications. A wide range of tuning components are available to allow precise fuel mixture"

I figured it was worth a shot.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote> if you put your bike on a dyno you would see that the rich as$ needle you are running is killing the performace of your engine. we are making 21hp out of the 190cc. </end quote></div>

I'm using the 5L1 needle.. Forgot what needle-jet. I'm not fooling with it again till spring.

How do you know you're making 21 HP? That's not too bad. [img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img]

Old 01-14-2009, 06:41 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jory230

randy quick question about that air filter. do you get much water in your carb with it or is the cover for it water proof because i was looking at sometihng and you said you did trail riding and it made me wonder if you got water issues. if not then im probaby going to buy one too</end quote></div>

I "try" to avoid water, but.....

That cover is worth the extra money. It certainly helps keep the water off (since KN is paper, water isn't good), but if it gets submerged water will get it. If you expect to see lots of water, better to build a box around the filter or something. So far, I haven't had any issues, but like I said, I try to avoid water.

That filter is an overkill, but I figured even if its covered in dirt, I still should get lots of air flow. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-14-2009, 06:53 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: HACKMUNCH
the small engine comment has to be the dumbest thing i have heard on the net lately.</end quote></div>

Thanks! Good to be #1 at something. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote> you think 230cc is small.</end quote></div>

Yes! You seen the Raptor 700? How about the new ThunderCat? Everybody has at least a 350 now days.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote> we have built and made 23hp with 177cc engines.</end quote></div>

I've seen a stock 230 with turbo outrun a 240cc blaster. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwlBdbUftGY

23 hp, though respectable, isn't something that will make the engine building community necessarily beg for details. Anyway, its not peak HP that's important.... Its the area under the HP curve. A good builder will tell you its easy to make peak HP, but hard to make a nice broad power band.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote> it's not the cc, it's the hp. 11k rpms is not high enough for you? come on man do some research? </end quote></div>

What rod are you using? Or are you talking about the 230 or the 190 or 177 or whatever it is? I'm not all that comfortable running my 230 with a stock rod at those rpms.... Especially after I saw 2 rods break in a week's time!

There's no replacement for displacement.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:57 PM
Range Rover

yea, i think im going to use mine for some trails and maybe racing. still debating but i was looking into the kn filter. and i wasnt sure because i seen your cover and thought it might get wet. but also around here we have alot of snow and when it melts. yea.. oh well ill look more into it

Old 01-14-2009, 07:07 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jory230

yea, i think im going to use mine for some trails and maybe racing. still debating but i was looking into the kn filter. and i wasnt sure because i seen your cover and thought it might get wet. but also around here we have alot of snow and when it melts. yea.. oh well ill look more into it</end quote></div>

Not hard to bend a piece of plastic around it to keep mud off. I just never got around to it or have never needed to yet.

All I know is the little bitty stock-sized filter got clogged up too fast. And its hard to clean without ruining the KN filter material.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:13 PM
Range Rover

yea i hear you on that. i had mine apart the last time i was home and i thought jee this is going to be a pain

Old 01-14-2009, 07:20 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Its really hard if its KN because you can't use compressed air or do any scrubbing. Its made of paper and very easy to make the "holes" bigger.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:23 PM
Range Rover

yea ill look for some after market car one and go from there

Old 01-14-2009, 08:40 PM
Pro Rider

Wow, Hackmunch took his testosterone pills today!!!

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.