Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 11:25 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

These are the days I'm glad my wheeler doesn't have a battery that needs to be tended to! Its -20 F with a -27 F windchill this morning!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Whoa! And tonight its -25 F with -40 to -45 F windchills!!

Old 01-15-2009, 12:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: atvman29

These are the days I'm glad my wheeler doesn't have a battery that needs to be tended to! Its -20 F with a -27 F windchill this morning!! [img][/img]

Whoa! And tonight its -25 F with -40 to -45 F windchills!!</end quote></div>

atvman29, where are you located? those are the same numbers we are looking at. I am in SE Wisconsin, inland from the lake about 1.5 hours.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:08 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: UGLY88

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: atvman29

These are the days I'm glad my wheeler doesn't have a battery that needs to be tended to! Its -20 F with a -27 F windchill this morning!! [IMG][/IMG]

Whoa! And tonight its -25 F with -40 to -45 F windchills!!</end quote></div>

atvman29, where are you located? those are the same numbers we are looking at. I am in SE Wisconsin, inland from the lake about 1.5 hours.</end quote></div>

Right now I'm stuck in Winona, MN for school but usually I'm up in the Twin Cities.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:28 PM
Pro Rider

i am heading to te cities this weekend to see some friends and do some snow boarding.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:44 PM
Pro Rider

Nice, I've never done much of that type of stuff. Always been more of a hockey guy, although I haven't played organized in years. Where do you guys go boarding?

Old 01-15-2009, 02:53 PM
Pro Rider

I just got into it last year and can still count my times out on both hands, but I like and am picking it up fairly quick, I was alsways a skier before. We usually go to Afton Alps. I believe it is SW of the Cities.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:18 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I was gonna ask what you guys thought of this weather. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Its even cold all the way down here.... 28 now. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Thanks for having my back PG! I appreciate it. [img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img] But try not to get too worked up about it.... I usually **** somebody off somewhere every day. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Today was a series of catastrophies and miracles, both of which confound the odds and the details I can't really get into, but if I could it would blow some minds! Anyway, that's the kinda day I've had. Ever feel like stopping time and just relaxing? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Even the fact that this thread has conversations on it that don't involve me, and only a month or so after I was ready to leave it for dead, counts as one of those odds-defying situations. Seriously, I'm at the point where it wouldn't surprise me if I woke in the morning to find gravity not working anymore! What's the odds of that? LOL

Anyway.... Back to business.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: UGLY88
I can't get my swing arm bearings out. I have not tried heat yet, but it does not look good. </end quote></div>

I'm thinking your swingarm tube is bent/squished or otherwise distorted. Ideally, they should fall out.

Can you get them out on either side? If you get one side out, you can use a socket or something that is small enough to fit in the tube, but bigger than the bearing, and beat it out with a big hammer. I don't think heat will do much if the tube is bent.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Hey Randy, what are the chances you have the dimensions you used for modifying that axle? </end quote></div>

Axle? I bought a 250S axle and have it on the floor in the garage. I'm going to install it one of these days, but I haven't modified an axle. I've thought about it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] But figured welding an axle and having it come out straight and not break would be beyond my skills.

Or do you mean the Ford 9 inch axle tube I used for the swingarm? Yeah, that's probably it.

Ok, I dug out the piece of paper me and my half-drunk buddy sribbled all the measurements on that day. The original idea was to find a piece of thick enough tube and machine it down from there, but my buddy brought back a finished product that was little different than the stock swingarm tube! So, I dug out that ford axle and told him to hack that up and make a tube out of it. He said the lathe was throwing sparks. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

My piece of paper says 8.063 long. The ID of the holes where the bearings go is 1.144. The bearing holes go 0.824 deep. I don't know the inner diameter of the rest of the tube, but these numbers are written over to the side. .868 OD and .588 ID. I think that is the measurement of the inner bearing race. If so, that means the ID of the tube should be a little bigger than .868.

You should verify those measurements. The idea is that both inner bearing races plus the spacer tube will be bolted tight to the frame. So, since we want the swingarm to ride on those with a wee bit of slack side-to-side in the frame, you'll have to add the swingarm tube length and all the shims and seals and have the total to be a wee bit less than the total of both bearing races and spacer tube. A wee bit = .001-.002 or so I guess. You can always add shims if you need to later on.

Any decent machinist should be able to help you out if you tell him what its for. I sent all the bearings and parts with him to be sure. It came back perfect. I consider that a miracle really.

I have no idea where to get the seals. The part number is on one of my pics I posted here. A long time ago I ordered some swingarm bearings on ebay. I got the bearings, but no seals. So I emailed the guy and he quickly sent me seals. Those seals you see in the pic are those seals. When I got them, I just threw them on the shelf and figured the ebay guy was an idiot because they didn't look like the seals I got with my pivot works bearing kit. Well, it turned out the seals would work afterall on my new tube, but the pivot works ones were too small (tube was too big really). Irony, gotta love it.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:26 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks, I will print and double check. The trick is to get a machinest to do it cheaper than what the swing arm is worth. What is a used swing arm worth on todays market?

Old 01-15-2009, 06:28 PM
Trailblazer

HERE YA GO 190CC 49 STROKE 70MM BORE TM28-1/#213 WEB CAM 32/26 VALVES
Name:  klx190ccdyno.gif
Views: 122
Size:  11.8 KB

Old 01-15-2009, 06:37 PM
Trailblazer

I AM JUST TRYING TO SHARE WHAT INFO I HAVE LEARNED IN THE LAST YEAR TO MAKE "YOUR" BIKES A TAD FASTER. RANDY JUMPED ON MY SHI$ SOON AFTER I POSTED THIS INFO. WE (OUR RACE TEAM) HAS SPEND THE LAST YEAR WORKING ON MAKING THESE ENGINES COMPETITIVE. JUST SO YOU KNOW RANDY THE 5L1 NEEDLE IS MOSTLY USED FOR METHONAL APPLICATIONS. WHICH MEANS IT'S SUPER RICH. I SAID I HAD THE TM28 PRETTY MUCH DIALED IN AT ONE POINT THEN SWITCHED TO THE TM28-1 AND SAW HUGE IMPROVEMENTS. YOU GUYS LEFT THAT PART OUT. JUST TRIED TO HELP AND SOMEONE CHIMES IN THINKING THEY KNOW MORE. I'M DONE

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.