Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 09:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JustRandy

I guess the economy is driving people to extreme measures. [img][/img]

PG, I thought you wanted a +2 swingarm?</end quote></div>

Man, when I first stumbled on the forum,probably a year or so b4 I joined, I saw the pics of Bigmc's bike and got WAY stoked! Then I saw MalHombre's pics and I was like a kid again, dreamin about owning an lt250r, a zilla, or whatever.. What did we all do back then??? We put magazine pics on the wall and wished...........
Well, I printed out pics of the black bike in Iowa, and swore this was the model for my bike..

I have said it b4, and will probably say it again and again, MalHombre's 230 is the best looking 230 I have ever seen!

Old 02-18-2009, 09:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: MalHombre

yeah, true you're not gonna snap a chain but the wear and tear factor will be a little higher. i just think there's better ways to save weight. i'm not really one to talk 'cause i've managed to pack a few xtra lbs on my swingarm but i've managed to lose a few here & there too so i guess it's a wash...</end quote></div>

Saving weight is good, but saving weight that turns (like tires) or turns even faster (like chains) is what I'm really looking into. I suppose if you had a shotgun shell in your pocket while riding, you couldn't tell what kind of shell it was by how fast your quad accelerated. But if you fired it from a shotgun, you'd know instantly if it was a slug or birdshot. Accelerate something fast enough and small weight differences become huge forces.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>if you really want to spin that motor up quick, get a lightened flywheel. </end quote></div>

Hmmm.... That's an idea. Next time I have the cover off I'll see if a machinist can turn it down some. [IMG][/IMG]

Btw, I'm running the 230 flywheel in the 250 engine because the 230 has 3 degrees more advance in the flywheel. They weigh exactly the same though.... Even though the 250 crank, rod and piston weighs more than the 230's.</end quote></div>

yeah that sounds like a good upgrade. i saw on ebay a couple yrs ago some shop selling lightened flywheels. they looked pretty good but it was'nt something i was pursuing. ya might still stumble across one . Start w Vince & see if he's heard of them.
as far as where you want to apply your resources toward lighter/faster just depends on 2 things, how and where you ride and how fast you wanna go.
if i had my druthers, i'd be out west with a dune shooter stripped to max and running .120 rims w/ Scat-Trak haulers

you ME's sheesh! (oh, by the way keep tinkering! i got 2 brothers just like ya[img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img]

Old 02-18-2009, 11:16 PM
Pro Rider

Weren't y'all all engineers talking about run flats??
Looks like a atv scam...........http://sacramento.craigslist.org/mcy/1035218789.html

Old 02-18-2009, 11:22 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I live to tinker! [img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img]

A while back, before I got the 250 engine and back before Bri (a guy that used to post here) suddenly disappeared n left me hangin without a 230 crank, I was going to send the crank off to Falicon http://www.faliconcranks.com/ for balancing and have a custom log-rod made for the big bore kit. But I found the 250 engine and decided not to dump insane amounts of money for what seems like a little gain. I was close though. Falicon can lighten and balance the crank for whatever you want to accomplish.

Me? I like appalachian trail riding. I do pretty well, but could use a bit more power and throttle response to get me over those mud puddles that pool uphill of the jumps. I always seem to land my back wheels right in the center of the puddle when a jump comes with short-notice. Other than that, its about as fast as one can go on a trail. Even with my 11/37 gears there's no where to rev out 5th gear except on a highway.

I'm all excited about the flywheel though.... Now that you brought it up. I'm going to get with my buddy tomorrow and see what it would take to get it shaved down. I don't see why its not as simple as chucking it up in a lathe and turning metal off. Right?

Old 02-18-2009, 11:26 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: PoolGod230

Looks like a atv scam...........http://sacramento.craigslist.org/mcy/1035218789.html</end quote></div>

I never heard of those.

I only run 2 psi.... Maybe 2.5 tops. I'm not sure I'd notice if I had a flat or not. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Got a big jug of that green stuff just in case. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-18-2009, 11:28 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: UGLY88

Dang PG! I am glad you are ok, but on the other hand, I would love to hear the other story where they try to jump you, and you get the swing arm by paying them in black eyes! It may be wrong to say, but I hate thieves, bullys and twice as bad when they wear both hats. I hope they they get theirs some day.</end quote></div>

Them guys were lucky PG was in a good mood! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 02-19-2009, 10:32 AM
Pro Rider

I live to tinker! [img][/img]
</end quote></div>

I'm excited to have a little more cash and time to tinker with. School and homework just devour days.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:38 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: PoolGod230

Looks like a atv scam...........http://sacramento.craigslist.org/mcy/1035218789.html</end quote></div>

I never heard of those.

I only run 2 psi.... Maybe 2.5 tops. I'm not sure I'd notice if I had a flat or not. [img][/img]

Got a big jug of that green stuff just in case. [img][/img]</end quote></div>

I think that might be what Polaris uses on their Military Vehicles.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:26 AM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: atvman29

I live to tinker! [IMG][/IMG]

</end quote></div>

I'm excited to have a little more cash and time to tinker with. School and homework just devour days. </end quote></div>

Cash and time are precious commodities around here. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-19-2009, 11:32 AM
Range Rover

check out the preview for Transformers 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSQ2xcjalHI

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.