Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 10:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

You aint rite P.G.
I think one of those close incounters of the terrestrial kind has done something to you man. Terra firma can do strange things to an individule if the relationship goes wrong. How many skid-lids have you been through...anyway.[/quote]

I have always had the need for speed, and or flight, can't have one without the other right?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

My 1st day on my 1st bicycle,had training wheels, they lasted 5 minutes after I got my bike. 15 minutes after that I tried to jump my friend laying on the ground! 1st broken tooth came soon after at abouy 3years old........ Evil Kinevil has nothing on me..........BUT believe it or not, I have YET to wreck a single quad. Motorcycles, ATC's, sandrails, cars, bicycles, BEEN THERE WRECKED THAT! Over, and over and over. We used to flip sandrails,,,,,,,, FOR FUN!!

Yes I have problems..................... I am so glad they weren't doing back flips on motorcycles when I was a kid!!!

I could be so much worse.... Just remember, helmets, chest protectors, boots are your friend!!!

Yes, I wear them all........ NOW! DEEE, DAA, DEEE , Carlos!!!!

Old 04-02-2007, 10:39 PM
BigMc
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

schirtzy

Back at ya man.

Old 04-03-2007, 12:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well I finally started it up yesterday. It blows smoke and fire out the exhaust, leaks gas out the carb bowl overflow vent only when its running, and won't idle, but I guess its good it runs at least. Time for a carb kit.

Old 04-03-2007, 10:52 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: BigMc
88, Are you still out their man? Have not herd from you in a little bit. Are you still "living la 230 loka", or moved on .........like zook did?
Hope to hear from you soon.

BigMc
Yeah I am here, been real busy though. I am trying to get a house project done so that I can work on the 230. I want to redo my shifter, put on some DG nerf bars, get rid of my air box, and then shop for some shocks. Head work and cam will have to wait until the snow flies again.

I have been reading the posts I just have not had much to add as most of your projects are a little further ahead than mine.....For know[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

ZOOK, $825 is a bargain for that machine you sold! I was almost willing to drive down and fight BM for it! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-03-2007, 10:57 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ryankopecki
Well I finally started it up yesterday. It blows smoke and fire out the exhaust, leaks gas out the carb bowl overflow vent only when its running, and won't idle, but I guess its good it runs at least. Time for a carb kit.

Sounds like you need to re clean your carb and maybe even re set your float level. This will keep it from puking fuel out of the overflow. Once that is done you can get the idle set and if it is still smoking and firing out of the exhaust you might have to lean it out a little? If the smoke is white, it is probably leaking oil past the valve seals and with luck will stop once it is warmed up a little. Mine burns a little oil in that manner, but I still beat the snot out of the little thing. I just keep the oil level good until I redo my head with some port work at a later date.

Good luck to you.

Old 04-03-2007, 11:00 AM
Pro Rider

Today I discovered that 230s have a parking brake. I allways thought it was a mechanism to hold the clutch disengaged and that it no longer worked. If you take apart your clutch lever, watch out for the little parts that will fall out. One's a small shim and the other's a little metal pill. I wonder if there were supposed to be 2 of those little shims.

Yeah that little button can really cause some greif. Thanks for reminding me to get rid of it. Mine will prevent me from completing the down shift in a tight turn to pass my friends Raptor on the inside! Very disappointing. I have taken the emergency brake off, and now just need to take out the button.

If yours still works than keep it.

Old 04-03-2007, 06:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

well i would like to thank everyone in here for a great forum i used to race vintage moto on a yz 465 just got my first quad a suzuki lt 230 s with a powroll built engine ive also add anew pipe carb jetting razrs and a few other goodies i will post some pictures soon i love this quad great in the woods even better on moto also having a blast on the flat track being 45 years old it is the easest transition for me all my riding pals have yamahas 450 suzuki 450 all hopped up but i give them a good run for about 1500.00 not 10,000.00 thanks will get some pics up tonight

Old 04-03-2007, 07:16 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: whalebone69
well i would like to thank everyone in here for a great forum i used to race vintage moto on a yz 465 just got my first quad a suzuki lt 230 s with a powroll built engine ive also add anew pipe carb jetting razrs and a few other goodies i will post some pictures soon i love this quad great in the woods even better on moto also having a blast on the flat track being 45 years old it is the easest transition for me all my riding pals have yamahas 450 suzuki 450 all hopped up but i give them a good run for about 1500.00 not 10,000.00 thanks will get some pics up tonight
Welcome whale!

Old 04-03-2007, 09:33 PM
BigMc

whalebone69 (im not going to ask what your other options for a forum name was[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Welcome to the forum. Cant wait to see those pics. It will take 24 for them to show of course. Im jelous, all these 230's out there with the overbore's on em. Ive got to get mine done this year I guess. Ive got a spare cylinder and head, so the work wont put the machine out of service.

Can I get some contact info from you folks. I would like to talk to someone who has completed the work on your machines.

That is, unless P.G. can conjure some miracle on the one he knows about. You go boy[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I have a machine shop that could do the work for a song if I could get my hands on the kit.

Anyway. Great to hear from you w.b.69.

BigMc

Old 04-03-2007, 09:46 PM
BigMc

That has got to be the mother of all "brite sides" ive seen in awhile. ryan you a fine example of the reason these threads exist.
It sounds like Ugly88 ( whats up 88?) is on the right track. The float valve is more than likley sticken.
That would cause the overflow and rich smoke. And no theres not a chance its gonna idle.
Run the idle screw in all the way and then back out about 1.5 turns. From there a 1/4 turn till you get some life.

Good luck.
BigMc

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.