Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 09:18 PM
BigMc
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Originally posted by: ryankopecki
Well if a bigger carb isn't gonna help me out, then I won't get one. So I guess a uni air filter, no intake box cover, a cam, and a dg exhaust should be enough for the power side. Now I have to work on suspension. I guess I'm gonna do the +4 on the swingarm. It'll help keep the front on the ground and I think the quads look a lot better with it. I plan on doing it a little differently than most here though. I want to lengthen it in front of the shock mount and use a longer shock off another quad. I think I'll have to modify the air box a little to do it this way though. Something needs to be done with the front end. On most newer sport quads the outsides of the front tires are about even with the outsides of the rear tires, but our old 230s have a narrower front. I'm thinking at least a +4 wide, maybe even a +6 would be good. So what do yall know about widening the fronts of these things?
Back at cha.

Old 03-25-2007, 07:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So you don't run into problems with wheel bearings and ball joints from the added stress of all that offset?
What did you do about front shocks? The extra offset puts more leverage against the shock so in theory you need stiffer shocks, but do the stock ones work fine anyway? I was thinking about moving the frame mounts for the a-arms out, and using 300ex shocks because they're a little longer, and I have them. This way would get the wider trac for better cornering, but not do much for suspension travel. Your way would be easier and add some travel.

Old 03-25-2007, 08:59 PM
Range Rover
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey BigMc here it is .....

going....once
going....twice

ebay item # 270102731586

Old 03-25-2007, 11:31 PM
Pro Rider

What's the use of a front bumper? I'm thinking of not putting mine back on.

Also, I think I read that 400ex wheels will fit on a 230s. Is that correct?

And to PoolGod, you wanting to sell that stage one cam when you get the stage 2 in?
Spacing IS the same, almost forgot to check froya.

Old 03-25-2007, 11:39 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BigMc
Well if a bigger carb isn't gonna help me out, then I won't get one. So I guess a uni air filter, no intake box cover, a cam, and a dg exhaust should be enough for the power side. Now I have to work on suspension. I guess I'm gonna do the +4 on the swingarm. It'll help keep the front on the ground and I think the quads look a lot better with it. I plan on doing it a little differently than most here though. I want to lengthen it in front of the shock mount and use a longer shock off another quad. I think I'll have to modify the air box a little to do it this way though. Something needs to be done with the front end. On most newer sport quads the outsides of the front tires are about even with the outsides of the rear tires, but our old 230s have a narrower front. I'm thinking at least a +4 wide, maybe even a +6 would be good. So what do yall know about widening the fronts of these things?
I agree. The front needs a wider track. I use stock arms, wheel spacers, 1.5" per side and off set front wheels, 2 +5 offset. It gives me a total of +6 trac.
This brings the front out even with the rear, stock length axle with 3 +6 wheels.
If you are thinking of extending the swinger forward of the shock mount, The pro link set up would be the trick. I have been playing around with this idea myself. Adapt the rear boinger from a later model Q.R. to the 230 and your set.
You can use a stock length 230 shock, this gives you the travel you need and also lowers the center of gravity without loosing ground clearence.

Sounds like a great idea.
BigMc.

Yo BigMc!!

So, in theory I could rig this up???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Suzuk...spagenameZWDVW

Old 03-27-2007, 12:14 AM
BigMc

Oh yes.
The 86 250r is real close to the 230 here. The swingarm is almost the exact smae width on both machines. You should be able to adapt the pro link to the stock 230 swinger with little a problem.
But the 86 did have the same carrier on both machines. At the most you may need a machine shop to "tweak" the 250s swinger to work with the 230. And that thing I brought your attention to the other day will fit as well..............................!!!!

B.M.

Old 03-27-2007, 01:06 AM
BigMc

So you don't run into problems with wheel bearings and ball joints from the added stress of all that offset? What did you do about front shocks? The extra offset puts more leverage against the shock so in theory you need stiffer shocks, but do the stock ones work fine anyway? I was thinking about moving the frame mounts for the a-arms out, and using 300ex shocks because they're a little longer, and I have them. This way would get the wider trac for better cornering, but not do much for suspension travel. Your way would be easier and add some travel.
Let me start by saying there is nothing in the following text intented to be hurtful to you ryan.

By now you should realize that the front shock on my machine are not stock[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]. Not much is. The shocks were ordered set up for this. There set up for the regular stuff, weight, type of riding, etc. I also told them I would be runing the spacers and wheel offset. Works hooked me up with a set of dual rate shocks for my applications. I can even have them fitted with rezzy's if I ever need/want them.

NO there not cheap, by no means, but worth EVERY penny. I have responded to many a 230 owner wanting to know the best "go fast" parts for their machine. In my opinion ,for what that matters, the boingers are the first, best replacment part you can buy.

You do what you want. But when you start moving stuff out of stock position, your asking for trouble. Yes, it would be cheaper to go this route since you have the Honda shocks, but what then? The Honda units will wear out too. Not to preach, yeah right, but you might as well get the right tool for the right job.
And dont forget, the Works units are rebuildable and upgradable. Is upgradable a real word?.................... Anyway.

I know, I know, "I cant see spending that on this old, little quad", "I could never get my money outa it".

SO!

BEEN there DONE that.

Thats my opinion.

My 230 is 20 years old this year, and you know what? Its not the oldest one on here............................

BigMc

Old 03-27-2007, 10:01 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BigMc
Oh yes.
The 86 250r is real close to the 230 here. The swingarm is almost the exact smae width on both machines. You should be able to adapt the pro link to the stock 230 swinger with little a problem.
But the 86 did have the same carrier on both machines. At the most you may need a machine shop to "tweak" the 250s swinger to work with the 230. And that thing I brought your attention to the other day will fit as well..............................!!!!

B.M.
Thanks again! I am going to add the racer "Full Floater" to next winters project list, as I am getting desparate to ride the girl again! And knock wood, I am the only one in the bidding so far for the "thing"

Old 03-27-2007, 10:26 AM
Pro Rider

NO there not cheap, by no means, but worth EVERY penny. I have responded to many a 230 owner wanting to know the best "go fast" parts for their machine. In my opinion ,for what that matters, the boingers are the first, best replacment part you can buy.

You do what you want. But when you start moving stuff out of stock position, your asking for trouble. Yes, it would be cheaper to go this route since you have the Honda shocks, but what then? The Honda units will wear out too. Not to preach, yeah right, but you might as well get the right tool for the right job.
And dont forget, the Works units are rebuildable and upgradable. Is upgradable a real word?.................... Anyway.

I know, I know, "I cant see spending that on this old, little quad", "I could never get my money outa it".

SO!

BEEN there DONE that.

Thats my opinion.

My 230 is 20 years old this year, and you know what? Its not the oldest one on here............................

BigMc[/quote]

21 years old next month!

My 400ex came with the works dual rate (didn't know much about em when I bought the bike) on the front, quadstar on the rear. Just got the same set up for the 230, have yet to ride her with em... Soon I pray.....

In riding my buddies 400ex with stock shocks, compared to mine.. HUGE difference!!! Corners better, bumps aren't felt in your hands and arms, big jumps that send them reeling, I tend to "float" thru!!! I have yet to bottom out, and yes I have moments of insanity when I think I am young again and try to fly!

probably the best investment for you old quad. Funny though, I remember reading that from BigMc about 20 pages back, about a year ago thinking "yeah, right, where is the go fast stuff......."

That fact of the matter is, the 230 stock is a solid,torqey, reliable little machine. If I had a time machine, shocks would have been the first purchase! Probably would have prevented some of our swingarm problems......

Spend the money on the shocks. Do a slightly over sized piston, hi flow fitler, re-jet and a pipe, and for about $1000 over what you prolly paid for the bike you have an vintage ATV that keeps ups and sometimes beats late model higher displaced, heavier, and much more expensive bikes!!!!

You don't have to go to the extremes that several of us have here. Yes myself included!

Old 03-27-2007, 03:02 PM
Trailblazer

This was probably already answered and if so I apologize for being repetative but, where do you get a stg 1 cam for a 250s? Oh and will these mods you all are talking about for the 230 work on the 250? I have been bashing my brains out trying to figure out what to do.
CGriff

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.