Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 11:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anybody have a digital copy of a service manual for the 230's? I've searched for quite a bit and couldn't come up with anything. I've been able to find pdf copies of manuals for other atvs, but not this one. I'm wanting to check the gear oil in my 86 shaft drive, but I don't know what gear oil or how much I should have in there.

One other question I have is about the 230's burning oil. My neighbor has a 230s, and it smokes more than anything I have ever seen in my life combined. It still runs great, but the exhaust is coated with oil and you don't ever want to get caught behind him. My 230 burns oil as well, just not nearly as bad. Is this a common issue, and if so, what is the most likely cause? Bad rings or valve seals? I'd like to fix it, but want to make sure I know whats wrong before I order parts.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:06 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by atvman29
Dang, this looks like a sweet deal!

04 Arctic Cat DVX 400
Too far away for me.

Originally Posted by atvman29
Wow, yesterday was a great day for the site, and today it tanked! Only 8 hits today! 26 yesterday though.
Probably bashr looking for carb stuff.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:13 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by toadson
Does anybody have a digital copy of a service manual for the 230's? I've searched for quite a bit and couldn't come up with anything. I've been able to find pdf copies of manuals for other atvs, but not this one. I'm wanting to check the gear oil in my 86 shaft drive, but I don't know what gear oil or how much I should have in there.
I've never seen a pdf manual for the 230.

You probably just fill the axle till it comes out the fill hole. Probably 80/90 weight gear oil.

One other question I have is about the 230's burning oil. My neighbor has a 230s, and it smokes more than anything I have ever seen in my life combined. It still runs great, but the exhaust is coated with oil and you don't ever want to get caught behind him. My 230 burns oil as well, just not nearly as bad. Is this a common issue, and if so, what is the most likely cause? Bad rings or valve seals? I'd like to fix it, but want to make sure I know whats wrong before I order parts.
Yep, its a common problem. Worn oil rings on the piston. Bad rod bearings, bent cranks, and over revving are among the likely causes.... Along with never changing the oil.

My friend's used to have so little compression, you could just about force the kicker down with an empty beer can. But it would run fine.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by JustRandy
I've never seen a pdf manual for the 230.

You probably just fill the axle till it comes out the fill hole. Probably 80/90 weight gear oil.

Yep, its a common problem. Worn oil rings on the piston. Bad rod bearings, bent cranks, and over revving are among the likely causes.... Along with never changing the oil.

My friend's used to have so little compression, you could just about force the kicker down with an empty beer can. But it would run fine.
Man that's just bad news. The way this 230 looks, it was rode hard. Someone had painted it camo, and half of it had flaked off. It also has a rebel flag sticker on the back of the gas tank. The plastics are cracked pretty bad as well, and it is missing the part of the intake that runs under the seat to the airbox. The frame and suspension is in good shape though, I just have the smoking and the tranny and/or clutch issue to deal with. It seems like the shaft drives are kind of rare, is this true?

So do you think it would be possible to buy new rings and a gasket kit, or should I get the cylinder bored? I was thinking about using a hone to clean the cylinder, and just use stock sized rings. It would probably be best to disassemble it first to make sure it hasn't been bored already before I order any parts, and check the shape of the cylinder. Sounds like these engines are prone to a few problems, which is kind of disappointing, but the way I take care of my toys and my riding style, I'm hoping I won't have any problems.

Another question I have is about throttle cables. Someone rigged up a bicycle gear shifter as a throttle, because the throttle housing and cable were missing. Is there a cheap aftermarket kit for a twist throttle or original style throttle assembly? Sorry for all the questions, but I like trying to find out as much info as I can on everything I own. This thread is so huge, I don't know where to begin looking!

Old 06-11-2009, 01:28 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I've never seen a shaft drive and don't really know too much about them. They could be rare I guess.

THe new rings will wear out too if you don't fix the cause. I'd bore it if it were mine, but new rings is cheaper.

Ebay might have a throttle assembly.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:42 AM
Pro Rider

Agreed on checking eBay for throttles. They might also have a full gasket set for you too. Like I've said, I have the best luck simply searching "Suzuki 230", just be careful of which 230 you're looking at.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:22 AM
Trailblazer

When you rejet do you have to increase airflow?

Old 06-11-2009, 08:26 AM
Pro Rider

Airflow increases with mods, which is why you need to re-jet to compensate. You can't just throw in a bigger jet on a stock setup and hope for the best (unless the thing was jeted small from the factory).

Old 06-11-2009, 09:52 AM
Elite Pro Rider

So,,,, did we figure out what we needed to know or do I still need to think about pulling my carb off my bayou?

Old 06-11-2009, 10:49 AM
Elite Pro Rider

The scary part is people like this actually live among us and are considered average, everyday folks!

YouTube - Verizon Math Fail

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.