Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 07:16 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tail pipe questions

Hi,what's the best way to remove caked on oil buildup inside the tail pipe? And anybody no the size of the two bolts that screw into the bottom of the tail pipe? Thanx

Old 06-11-2009, 07:27 PM
Pro Rider
Unhappy

Originally Posted by JustRandy
What are you going to do with the sport? Investment or toy?

I'm all about the pond right now. Make hay while the sun shines, they say. Sun is shining and rain has slacked off. So, I spend all my time digging and fixing stuff so I can get back to digging again. Something breaks at least once everyday. Yesterday I wore out the ball on the trailer hitch. Trailer would pop right off. The day before the briggs engine fell apart. The rockers just fell off! Before that the air cleaner fell off. Before that the axle broke on the bayou. Before that... hell I can't remember. Its always something.
Investment? You must be high!! Investments make money. I just bought the thing because it #1 a killer deal, #2 its Bone stock, #3 it has low mileage, #4 I have barely worked on it, therefore it will run forever!!!!

#5 I have learned from my mistakes, I have works boingers at all three points, stage 1 web cam, properly jetted with a k & n, dial a jet, and dg excellerator exhaust, proper gearing, 20in tires out back. I want to ride, not work. This is really the key, because I am good at the former not the latter.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:06 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by PoolGod230
Investment? You must be high!! Investments make money. I just bought the thing because it #1 a killer deal, #2 its Bone stock, #3 it has low mileage, #4 I have barely worked on it, therefore it will run forever!!!!

#5 I have learned from my mistakes, I have works boingers at all three points, stage 1 web cam, properly jetted with a k & n, dial a jet, and dg excellerator exhaust, proper gearing, 20in tires out back. I want to ride, not work. This is really the key, because I am good at the former not the latter.
What kind of tires?

Old 06-11-2009, 08:08 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by crcmech
Hi,what's the best way to remove caked on oil buildup inside the tail pipe?
I used a propane torch.

And anybody no the size of the two bolts that screw into the bottom of the tail pipe? Thanx
Roughly 1/2 inch, but the metric equivalent. Leaving those bolts out makes more power.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:11 PM
Pro Rider

I really want that dvx. That's such a good deal. Best thing of all is its actually a Suzuki! $2300 is not bad though. I'd shoot him 2000 or 2100. Unfortunately I'd prolly have to sell the ol 230 so I had some money left. Who knows though, these things never seem to pan out!

Old 06-11-2009, 08:22 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Around here you can get 660 or 700 raptors for $3500 all day. They're a dime a dozen, so to say.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:29 PM
Trailblazer

So just use the torch on the outside of the tail pipe and cook it off...do u use a brush or anything else? How do you like the dial a jet? Is it a good investment? Thanx again!

Old 06-11-2009, 08:37 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by crcmech
So just use the torch on the outside of the tail pipe and cook it off...do u use a brush or anything else?
Yeah, on the outside. All I wanted to do was get it to stop smoking, so I cooked it with the torch until it stopped. I didn't brush it or anything.

How do you like the dial a jet? Is it a good investment? Thanx again!
Its a good investment if you have a need for it. If you change altitude a lot or need extra gas for one reason or another or have a carb with bad spots in the throttle. If your carb is tuned well to begin with, I don't think it will give any extra power or anything... Well,,, maybe a little bit because the fuel is atomized better, but not sure its worth all the money just for that.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:55 PM
Trailblazer

The reason I ask is the guy I bought the bike from put a bigger jet kit in it but left the rest of the bike stock. It runs and idles good with good power but seems like it could run better. This is my first project bike and my knowledge is minimal,but shouldn't u increase airflow,I.e. better exaust,when u go with bigger jets? When u torched your exaust did you remove it and hang it upside down?

Old 06-11-2009, 09:06 PM
Pro Rider

It's not lean its running rich. I'll try it, it would be nice to see this thing actually work like its supposed to.

Tonight the handle bars broke off. It looks like the PO broke them and then just brazed them back on half assed. I'm finding all kinds of neat little things with this

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.