Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 03:37 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MalHombre
i figure my startup costs will be minimal and my my overhead will be virtually zero. i got the time, skills, storage and shop space to make it happen. i think the market isn't too saturated yet and i can provide a wide enough range of products and services that it just might work.

back to the reason we're all here. i've been talking to my motor builder and we got a handle on making a spark arrestor for my pipe. should be pretty slick. basically a screen insert and a custom endcap should do the trick.

You know better than I do... All I know is the long-term trend is favorable for antiques, collectables, hard-assets, inflation hedges, etc.

I used a metal screen for a spark arrestor in my home-made pipe. I guess it works.... I don't know, but I figured it would make the rangers happy should they care to look. Its just a wire screen made into the shape of a bowl to increase surface area. I shoved it into the pipe and drilled a hole straight across and inserted a wire to keep the screen from blowing out.

Old 04-11-2009, 03:43 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by firstgen89sho
Newb here, but have a question about my 87 LT230E

I have a weird vibration, it comes and goes with RPM, so it is not to do with driveline (I can get it to do it in neutral), I really feel it vibrate when at higher RPMS, I just had the clutch cover off and replaced my centrifugal clutch (It was doing this before the replacement) I'm not exactly sure where to look on these engines

Thanks, Tom
Your crankshaft is bent. 90% sure. It happens when you're revving out and the back wheels leave the ground and come back down on something solid. The irresistable force meets the immovable object and the crank bends. This is why high-performance cranks are welded and not just pressed together.

If its not that, then somebody put a different piston in or something to throw the balance off. Other than that, it could be the flywheel/clutch... But hard to imagine that unless someone was beating on it or trying to pry it off with a crow bar.

Old 04-11-2009, 04:12 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by atvman29
Man, that new 230 is just being a pain. We checked the timing for the 4th time and its perfect, we used some liquid gasket to seal the valve cover on (to see if it was a vacuum leak), tried the choke in every possible position, new air filter, covered the air filter lid, it has oil, spark, its getting gas and air, the electrical has to be fine, so I just don't know.

I know you said, Randy, to check the valve lash, but I went to the valve section in the manual and it says, valves should only be adjusted by a service professional, since the difficulty and time required to adjust them is greater than the cost to have it done. My cousin said you need some special tools to do it, is that true? My tool selection isn't too great yet though. I should probably take your garage saleing advice, Randy! The girlfriend would LoVe that! lol

How do I check the magneto coil? And what'll that run if it has to be replaced?
Either $40 or $60 for the coil. I bought both the lighting coil and power coil at the same time and I can't remember which is which. It instantly cured my starting problems. You can check the ohms, but mine checked out ok and was still bad. The ohms should be in the book. If not, let me know and I'll look in my book.

I'll try to give a condensed version of how to set the lash. All you need is a feeler gauge ($1 from autozone), some pliers or crescent wrench, long thin screwdriver, small flathead screwdriver, 10mm wrench, and sparkplug wrench.

The idea is to get the piston at the top of the stroke on the compression stroke. So, put the quad in gear and push it until you feel the piston hit the compression (or how ever else you can think to do it). Back it up a tad. Now take the spark plug out and stick the screwdriver in the hole. Push the quad forward to make the piston start up the bore. You should feel it coming up with the screwdriver. It will come up FAST, so be careful not to scratch the bore or anything. Go slow. Try to get the piston at the very tippy top. Once that's accomplished, don't let anything move. Now take the little round cover thingys off the top of the valve cover. Pay special attention to the intake one, since this is the one that would be giving you starting problems and is most likely to be in need of adjustment. Grab the rocker and see if it is a bit loose. If it isn't, that is why the quad is not starting easy (or else you have the piston in the wrong spot - to verify, grab the exhaust one and see if its loose. If the exhaust one is not loose either, then you have the piston wrong). When you're done with the adjustments, both rockers should be loose. That looseness is called lash. It should be .001-.003 for the intake and .003-.005 for the exhaust.

It should be pretty evident now what you have to do. Use the 10mm wrench to take the lock nut loose and use the small flat head to adjust the lash. The hard part is working the .001 feeler in the gap between the rocker and the valve. Sometimes I'll shove the .003 or bigger in there and then tighten everything up and check it with the .001 feeler. It usually works. Its easy once you've done it once, but a pain to explain to someone whose never done it. You definitely want to be VERY sure you have the locknuts tightened. One came loose on me before. I got lucky in that the nut didn't fall down into the engine and I used a magnet to get it out.

This video seems ok: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3oHY...eature=related

http://www.dansmc.com/valveclearence.htm

Old 04-11-2009, 04:18 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Wait, Randy, when you say Magneto coil, isn't that two different things? The magneto is on the motor, and the coil is under the hood.

We checked the coil by swapping for the one on my four wheeler and we still had no luck. Is there anyway it could be a plug wire? The plug wire on it is pretty sh!!ty.

Its just so frustrating since we know it can run good! It just won't kick start! Its even roll starting pretty easily.
#4 here: http://www.alpha-sports.com/satv/1986/LT230S/28.htm

The enamel on the wires gets old after 20 yrs and cracks. You should be hitting physics 2 soon... It should be clear what's wrong then. That was the hardest class I've ever had.

Old 04-11-2009, 04:19 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks a lot Randy, we'll give it a look tomorrow. So are you up for the morning or having a late night?? Its 4:20 so that's 5:20 there, right??

Old 04-11-2009, 04:24 AM
Pro Rider
Old 04-11-2009, 04:25 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Got my new ASUS laptop today and its super nice! I love it. The quick boot feature is really cool. You press the button and its instantly on, no boot up at all.
Isn't that the same as sleep or suspend?

I finally got mine all together. The is the first AMD system for me. I like it! It has an overclock utility that runs in windows. Although I don't care about that now days, 6-7 yrs ago I would have thought that was the coolest thing. Its pretty fast the way it is. Can't wait to see how fast it tears up photobucket.

Gotta be the best $200 I've ever spent!

How does yours work with your games? Good enough?

Old 04-11-2009, 04:28 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Thanks a lot Randy, we'll give it a look tomorrow. So are you up for the morning or having a late night?? Its 4:20 so that's 5:20 there, right??
I was sleeping earlier and woke up. Can't sleep, so I'm fooling around with the new pc. I'll probably nap again at sunrise. I'm a basket case when it comes to sleeping.

Old 04-11-2009, 04:30 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by JustRandy
Isn't that the same as sleep or suspend?

I finally got mine all together. The is the first AMD system for me. I like it! It has an overclock utility that runs in windows. Although I don't care about that now days, 6-7 yrs ago I would have thought that was the coolest thing. Its pretty fast the way it is. Can't wait to see how fast it tears up photobucket.

Gotta be the best $200 I've ever spent!

How does yours work with your games? Good enough?
No, its when you're powering up your computer from off. It doesn't boot windows, it just goes to a very simple operating system that takes virtually no time to load. Its pretty neat! The auxillary screen is sweet too, It tells me when I get emails, who their from, and what the subject is!

I haven't had a chance to install any of my games yet.

Nice! Glad you like your computer too! What's an overclock?

Old 04-11-2009, 04:32 AM
Elite Pro Rider

That looks about as good as you'll do. Same part number. Check the valves first though. A bad coil will start fine when cold, but not when warm. Valves are the opposite.

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.