Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 01:56 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah its been funky for me too lately...ive gotten errors and had to reload.
im running firefox also

Old 08-12-2009, 03:53 PM
Pro Rider

No problems on this end, with IE.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:14 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by MalHombre
on an unrelated note: is anyone else getting a "unresponsive script" warning when these pages load? this site seems really slow lately. btw, i'm running the latest ver. of Mozilla.
Yeah, I tried uploading some pics last night, but no luck. Although that always gave me trouble. Probably because I'm too lazy to down size and save copies of all of them.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:15 AM
Pro Rider

Oh and I'm running Google Chrome and had a few times where I've had to refresh due to general page errors.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi all...my 230's got an issue that's really got me stumped. Searching this enormous thread didn't turn up anything useful to my case. Google found the "vault", but I didn't find anything there either.

I picked up (I believe an 88) LT230 quadrunner earlier this summer for $350. It ran, but wouldn't idle, chain/sprockets were trash, and it was rolled once which kicked in the left front wheel(not a lot, still rideable just squirrely on pavement). The rear end is kinda gone from having a trailer ball jury-rigged on there to move boats for years at a marina. Otherwise it was in decent shape. I went through the carb and that fixed the bad idle, runs perfectly now. Replaced the chain/sprockets, removed the trailer hitch. Adjusted the shifter and that works fine now(it would sometimes "miss" gears and end up in between in neutral, then a few seconds later harshly bang into either one or the other.

It's actually been working great all summer, and I'm amazed at what it can go through, even with about half-bald spider-trak tires on the back. I easily go through water that requires me to kneel on the seat. While it's a beater, I always wash it afterward and let it dry before putting it away.

It started becoming a pain to get the neutral light to come on, even when it was in neutral. I'd have to cycle between N and 1st a few times and eventually the light would come on so I could use the starter. It got more and more finicky, and now it finally stopped working altogether. It starts right up with the pull cord(almost always on the first compression, not bad for a beater), but it's an annoyance and it's bugging me that I can't figure it out. The lights and kill switch work fine.

I pulled the neutral "dial" sensor off and everything was in order, the spring loaded pin was in the right place and touching the contact on the sensor. I stretched the spring out a bit and put it back together. Still nothing. I cut the wire to the sensor and grounded it- still nothing. Tried putting +12 to the wire, then the sensor's lead, and then both at once. Nothing. The sensor is continious from the lead to the little contact inside so that's fine.

With the key off the blue wire to the sensor has no power. With the key on, it has about +7 volts(12.6 at batt).

Any idea what went wrong here? I was about to just wire the switch to jump the solenoid but figured I'd ask for help first.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 86 230le

I have an 86 230le that I need some advice on. I bought it for $200, it ran but smoked. Changed oil, gas and spark plug. Ran well for a while and now it is tough to start. It is a kick start. Used to start on one or two kicks and now it does not start well at all. It has sat not used for the past 5 months or so. Any suggestions on where to start? Thought about having the carb rebuilt and a tune up at the local shop to start things off. I really just want to have it start easier. They shot me a price of $160 for everything.

Don't want to put a whole lot into it since I only get to ride a few times a year. It feels just stupid fast as I can go through the gears just as quick as I can shift. Anyone know how fast these things can go stock?

Thanks in advance

Old 08-15-2009, 11:00 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by RaWarrior
Hi all...my 230's got an issue that's really got me stumped. Searching this enormous thread didn't turn up anything useful to my case. Google found the "vault", but I didn't find anything there either.

I picked up (I believe an 88) LT230 quadrunner earlier this summer for $350. It ran, but wouldn't idle, chain/sprockets were trash, and it was rolled once which kicked in the left front wheel(not a lot, still rideable just squirrely on pavement). The rear end is kinda gone from having a trailer ball jury-rigged on there to move boats for years at a marina. Otherwise it was in decent shape. I went through the carb and that fixed the bad idle, runs perfectly now. Replaced the chain/sprockets, removed the trailer hitch. Adjusted the shifter and that works fine now(it would sometimes "miss" gears and end up in between in neutral, then a few seconds later harshly bang into either one or the other.

It's actually been working great all summer, and I'm amazed at what it can go through, even with about half-bald spider-trak tires on the back. I easily go through water that requires me to kneel on the seat. While it's a beater, I always wash it afterward and let it dry before putting it away.

It started becoming a pain to get the neutral light to come on, even when it was in neutral. I'd have to cycle between N and 1st a few times and eventually the light would come on so I could use the starter. It got more and more finicky, and now it finally stopped working altogether. It starts right up with the pull cord(almost always on the first compression, not bad for a beater), but it's an annoyance and it's bugging me that I can't figure it out. The lights and kill switch work fine.

I pulled the neutral "dial" sensor off and everything was in order, the spring loaded pin was in the right place and touching the contact on the sensor. I stretched the spring out a bit and put it back together. Still nothing. I cut the wire to the sensor and grounded it- still nothing. Tried putting +12 to the wire, then the sensor's lead, and then both at once. Nothing. The sensor is continious from the lead to the little contact inside so that's fine.

With the key off the blue wire to the sensor has no power. With the key on, it has about +7 volts(12.6 at batt).

Any idea what went wrong here? I was about to just wire the switch to jump the solenoid but figured I'd ask for help first.
hey welcome to the forum!

are there 1 or 2 wires coming from that neutral position switch?

Old 08-15-2009, 11:04 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by hyperlx
I have an 86 230le that I need some advice on. I bought it for $200, it ran but smoked. Changed oil, gas and spark plug. Ran well for a while and now it is tough to start. It is a kick start. Used to start on one or two kicks and now it does not start well at all. It has sat not used for the past 5 months or so. Any suggestions on where to start? Thought about having the carb rebuilt and a tune up at the local shop to start things off. I really just want to have it start easier. They shot me a price of $160 for everything.

Don't want to put a whole lot into it since I only get to ride a few times a year. It feels just stupid fast as I can go through the gears just as quick as I can shift. Anyone know how fast these things can go stock?

Thanks in advance
welcome to the forum!

does it still smoke? hows the compression?

if thats all good, i'd rebuild the carb. but dont pay a shop for it, $160's insane! theyre very simple and im sure you can do it yourself. and theres plenty of people here like myself to help you along!

start off by ordering a rebuild kit. should only be about $15

good luck!

(oh and btw, you have an lt230S, since its a kick start)

Old 08-16-2009, 12:56 AM
Pro Rider

What do the 230s do bone stock? Prolly about 55 or so? I'm pretty sure mine went a tick over 60. I had the 12/39 gearing with the Supertrapp and the UNI.

I wish I would have clocked it. I need to clock the cat sometime too.

Old 08-16-2009, 12:56 AM
Pro Rider

This site just gave me an idea for the vault.

I wonder if I could make a link on the sidebar of the vault titled forum, that would redirect you to the front page of this place?

I wonder if that would be useful/utilized. Do you suppose that's an ok thing to do?

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.