Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 01:21 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by josmuck
the problem with the 250s shocks they are a pain in the **** to find. Over here you find the ltz shocks a lot on ebay becouse germans love to lower them for street use??? stupidest thing i have ever seen. It is like taking a corvet and putting in on dirt. Ok if i can find the 250s shocks is it a lot or work to use the 250s A-arms as well? is the back axel kind plug and play?

Thanks for any help there will be a lot more ???? coming
A guy name Jesse James made a 4x4 corvette on the Monster Garage show a few years ago.

Atvman is the one to ask about the 250s arm mods. He just finished the project.

The back axle should be plug n play. I have a 250s axle, but haven't put it in yet. I don't expect to have any problems when I do. They look about the same. The thing that is holding me up is I'm not sure I want the back to be wider. The front is much more important for cornering than the back is.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:23 PM
Elite Pro Rider

BTW Randy as much as i have read i got to say u have put a lot of energy in this thread
I'm online all the time so its no problem posting. Gives me something to do during the times I can't leave my chair... Like now.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:32 PM
Trailblazer

What do you think about the motor? any small mods i can do to get it running a little better?

Cya Brian

Old 05-11-2009, 01:55 PM
Elite Pro Rider

What do you think about the motor? any small mods i can do to get it running a little better?

Cya Brian
You can order the 250s oem cam for about $100 US. Or you can get a webcam or megacycle cam for $300 or so. I know the 250 cam gives more power because I tried the 2 cams in the same day. Its plug n play. Never tried the other cams.

The TM28 carb gives a decent power boost. Especially with a KN filter. It runs just over $100, but you also have to buy a needle and selection of jets to tune it. So, I'd figure at least $150 or more with shipping n all.

Some think I'm stupid, but I'm telling ya a smaller front sprocket and lighter non-oring chain will put more power on the ground. I've done the math and tried all the gears. I run 11/37 sprockets with a 3lb chain.

Atvman got a supertrapp muffler to work. That might give you some more power too.

Probably the best thing to do power-wise is bore it out and put in a high-compession piston. The runs about $250-$300. Or you could get a big bore kit for $100 more.

Of course, if you could just find a 250s engine, you'd have a lot of these mods already, plus a bigger intake valve, better porting, better clutch, better 4th gear, better exhaust, better connecting rod, etc.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:59 PM
Elite Pro Rider

A really small mod is just taking the airbox lid off and re-tuning the carb. Plus, you can take out the drain bolts on the stock muffler. That lets the exhaust breathe a little better. In the beginning, that's all I did. I even drilled a few more holes in the muffler to let it breathe even better. It works. And it doesn't get much louder. Add a $40 KN filter and it will scream pretty well for a stock quad.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:06 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by JustRandy
Can you get that much for it?
Don't know! I'm sure I couldn't get quite THAT much, but it definitely seems to be the hot ticket on here. I don't have the money anyways!

Old 05-11-2009, 06:56 PM
Pro Rider

the problem with the 250s shocks they are a pain in the **** to find. Over here you find the ltz shocks a lot on ebay becouse germans love to lower them for street use??? stupidest thing i have ever seen. It is like taking a corvet and putting in on dirt. Ok if i can find the 250s shocks is it a lot or work to use the 250s A-arms as well? is the back axel kind plug and play?

Thanks for any help there will be a lot more ???? coming
Josumuch, check out the website I have linked in my signature below this post. On the help and how-to page of the site, I did a write up on how to modify the lt250S suspension to work for the 230.

After doing it, I would only recommend it if you can find a set of 250S arms for relatively inexpensive. You only gain about an inch and a half (or 3.81cm) per side. Which for me was fine since that was all I was looking for.

Otherwise if you want to do the front suspension mod and not take your wheeler out of commission, buy a set of 230S front a-arms for cheap, and extend them.

You can see what my 250S a-arms look like in the gallery page of the website, got to Gallery>Individual LT230S's>atvman29.

The 250S shocks are every bit as amazing as Randy has promised though. They are absolutely head over heals better than the 230S ones. I'm excited to see how mine rides after I make my new upper shock mounts.

And at least you guys have the choice to ride your wheelers on the road!! If we could do that here, I would sell my car and just ride my wheeler everywhere! I'd probably have to get a bigger four wheeler though.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:04 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by JustRandy
You can order the 250s oem cam for about $100 US. Or you can get a webcam or megacycle cam for $300 or so. I know the 250 cam gives more power because I tried the 2 cams in the same day. Its plug n play. Never tried the other cams.

The TM28 carb gives a decent power boost. Especially with a KN filter. It runs just over $100, but you also have to buy a needle and selection of jets to tune it. So, I'd figure at least $150 or more with shipping n all.

Some think I'm stupid, but I'm telling ya a smaller front sprocket and lighter non-oring chain will put more power on the ground. I've done the math and tried all the gears. I run 11/37 sprockets with a 3lb chain.

Atvman got a supertrapp muffler to work. That might give you some more power too.

Probably the best thing to do power-wise is bore it out and put in a high-compession piston. The runs about $250-$300. Or you could get a big bore kit for $100 more.

Of course, if you could just find a 250s engine, you'd have a lot of these mods already, plus a bigger intake valve, better porting, better clutch, better 4th gear, better exhaust, better connecting rod, etc.
Speaking of that, I bashed that thing up pretty dam bad when I was doing my 30' tabletop! I was working on tightening up my exhaust, which I have another question about, and looked on the bottom side of the can to find a huge gash where the can slammed the rotor!! Didn't seem to affect performance though, and it didn't break through, just made a huge dent. And by the looks of it, it happened quite a few times. Maybe I should look into a 230E shock like lt230sman did. I was going to tighten mine up, but realized it was all the way tight already.

But anyways, can I use JB weld on exhaust? MY exhaust rattles like a mother where the head and mid-pipe meet. I have the clamp as tight as she goes and the stupid thing they call a gasket is an impossibly thin piece of sheet steel. So i was just curious if I could JB that shut if I clean it up nice. Then I won't have all that nasty soot on top of my motor!

Also, josmuck, join the LT230S social group I sent you an invite for! We were the very first social group, and only a few shy of the biggest!

Old 05-11-2009, 07:19 PM
Pro Rider

Tried to call DG today, no answer. (Called now at 7 central, so 5 @ their Anaheim offices) They didn't even have an answering machine, or a computer saying they were closed. Seems kind of weird.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:25 PM
Pro Rider

Alright! I've had my first international hits on the website! The page has had 84 visitors already! I'm pretty impressed with that! 16 of the 84 found it through a search engine too!

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.