Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 09:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Adding a better exhaust doesnt mean you have to rejett the carb. i run a DG or if i am bored i put on my Cobra. Rejetting is really required when an over bore is done and a bigger cam. Rejetting is changing the internal jets in the carb, which without the right skills and knowledge can lead to either running the engine too lean(not enough fuel which will fry the piston and rings) or running it too rich ( too much fuel) which will build carbon up on your plug and valves. But if all your doing is ehaust you dont need to rejet the carb. when i run my Cobra muffler its noticeably more powerful and the DG does the same. I have a complete stock motor and with my exuast and K&N air filter gives me all the power i need.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for breakin it down for me. Im thinkin im gonna go with a DG pipe, the k and n filter is definitally needed. What do u think of Duro Thrasher tires. I found this site Vinces Cycles, they have a " Performance Carb" but the site looks a little fishy, has anyone dealt with vinces cycles before?

Old 03-11-2010, 10:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Vince is a great guy but he is only doing crank rebuilds now. The Duro Thrashers are a throw away tire. i had a set of those, they tend to wear out prematurely. i would go with kendas or a 4 ply dunlop. if you ride alot like me then definately go with the kendas they are a 6 ply but sticky compound great for loose and hard pack terrain. and as for the DG, if you dont mind a loud pipe the DG RCM is awsome. well pretty much all the DG's for 230s are great. My Cobra Alumnium muffler is probly the loudest though. And for air filters youre not just limited to K&N, UNI makes a good filter too nut the K&N the expensive one is washable and lasts forever if properly maintained.

Old 03-12-2010, 02:15 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

joker, check out Maxxis I-razor radial fr tires. they're a couple bucks more but they're 6-ply lightweight and wear pretty well. the ride and handling is awesome!

Old 03-12-2010, 02:26 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Trailrider230s
here is what my shock covers look like.
sweet! how's the frame painting working out?

Old 03-12-2010, 12:14 PM
Pro Rider

joker, I added a Supertrapp IDS2 pipe off a Warrior to my 230S, loved it, and didn't need to jet. Check out the video section in the vault to hear some of the different pipes people are talking about.

Old 03-12-2010, 04:21 PM
Pro Rider

Adding a better exhaust doesnt mean you have to rejett the carb. i run a DG or if i am bored i put on my Cobra. Rejetting is really required when an over bore is done and a bigger cam. Rejetting is changing the internal jets in the carb, which without the right skills and knowledge can lead to either running the engine too lean(not enough fuel which will fry the piston and rings) or running it too rich ( too much fuel) which will build carbon up on your plug and valves. But if all your doing is ehaust you dont need to rejet the carb. when i run my Cobra muffler its noticeably more powerful and the DG does the same. I have a complete stock motor and with my exuast and K&N air filter gives me all the power i need.
Heres where I have to disagree a little. While opening up the carb and swaping jets may not be required to have the quad run well after an exhaust swap, without it you will never get the max performance out of any combo. At the least you will need to re-adjust the idle mixture, and depending on what exhaust you get and what it flows you may be running lean at the top end (considering if you rev it that high or not). I upped my carb to the Mikuni 28mm flat slide, and changed to a Jardine Sonicore street bike muffler, and the combo wored will as a bolt on upgrade. I recently opened it up and reamed the jets out a size, and the results were immediately noticeable on startup.
If you start mixing and matching a carb/cam/exhaust upgrade, or any of those 2, all bets are off and you will be doing some carb work.

Old 03-12-2010, 04:27 PM
Pro Rider

When I put the Motoworks pipe on my DVX, Motoworks said to lift the clip 2 notches, and back the mixture out 3-1/2 turns. Stock jet was recommended. When I was doing that, I found that the needle was a non-adjustable type so I shimmed it up with two itty bitty washers.

Runs like a champ.

But bashr, I do agree with you as well. If I were to remove my airbox lid, I would need to bump up the main jet to a 160 per motowork's recommendations. I ride in too wet of conditions however to have my airbox lid off.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:45 PM
Pro Rider

Should i get the new steel plates with the clutch disks? and should i get a new pressure plate or use the original?
i generally dont replace the steels unless they look chewed up, glazed, or burnt. also, make sure that the little dots are still visible on the 230 plates (one side only). i dont think 250r steels have them.

and no you dont need to replace your pressure plate.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:47 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by MalHombre
joker, check out Maxxis I-razor radial fr tires. they're a couple bucks more but they're 6-ply lightweight and wear pretty well. the ride and handling is awesome!
never had good luck with those tires on anything! but i guess it really comes down to where youre riding, although they didnt seem to work particularly well anywhere...

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.