Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 01:54 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nikg
Thanks Lenny. I'm going to get those back in spec tomorrow hopefully...should run much better with lots less noise I hope.
Your's must have been too loose. Did getting them back in spec help?

Old 07-07-2010, 02:03 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by SeanBean
Hi Guys. I picked up an 86 230S a couple weeks ago from a guy for FREE. Well, it wasnt free, but I traded him a new wankel engine for his snowmobile. I was a little skeptical at first if I should pick it up, since it was so old and I didnt know if they still made anything for it. Well, needless to say I was in for a surprise when I googled it, and found basically a cult following, and that every part is still made. I decided to rebuild it. Im going to get it going for the summer, then do a frame off this winter.

Anyways, its in pretty good shape, other than the fact that it sat under a tree for MANY MANY years. The engine was clean enough to eat off though. The plastics are in rough shape and theres no hood. I rebuilt the carb and I got it running and it doesnt smoke too bad. And the only thing I could find wrong with it is the swingarm bearings disintigrated and cracked the swing arm. I welded it up to get me through the summer and Im waiting on a new bearing kit.

Now, this is where I need the expertise of the accult to help initiate me:

Im missing a couple parts of the controls and I had a question about the decompression cable. My cable has long been missing, but it has a handle right beside the clutch. Is that where the cable goes to? Is that factory? Someone mentioned to me once that its usually a little **** on the side of the machine you pull.

The only other thing its missing is the button for the park brake. Or at least I assume thats what it is.

But there sure is alot of reading material around here. Im still quite surprised at the level of support for these old machines.
Nice find and good trade! Yes, that is the stock position for the compression release lever on the S models. You should be able to easily find a replacement cable on eBay for cheap or others around these parts run to Walmart and scavenge the bicycle section. I'd rather spend the 5 extra bucks and get the right one though, personally.

If you're missing the button for the e-brake, I wouldn't worry about it. I've found leaving it in gear on the trailer holds it in place just as good, if not better than the e-brake. Just pull off the cable and buy and e-brake block-off plate. That is of course unless you plan on parking on hills while leaving your ATV running.

Post up some pics of your free wheeler! We'd love to see them!

I wish I had some free time this summer to work on the Vault and get some of the stuff I have sitting around here posted up, but I'm struggling to finish what I have on my plate at the moment.

Eventually I'd like to add to the restoration section and do more rebuilds similar to Trailrider230's. So take pics of your resto-work!

Old 07-07-2010, 02:10 AM
Pro Rider

For anyone who's curious, I just checked out Google Analytics and the Vault is over 11,000 hits now!!

Who would have thought??

Old 07-07-2010, 02:48 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by himsa169
fallen angel im in the same situation if i losen it to where it has play it skips on hard take off or steep hills but if i thighten it i dont hit jumps idk im still working on a solution my self
you guys need to check into getting a chain tensioner. best thing i did to my bike!
Online Catalog

Old 07-07-2010, 03:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

I only see one chain tensioner on that site. How did you attach it?

Old 07-09-2010, 01:05 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fallen angel
I only see one chain tensioner on that site. How did you attach it?
i drilled a hole thru the frame gusset behind the footpeg bracket and bolted it on. check out my pics.
http://forums.atvconnection.com/gara...e&userid=25976

Last edited by MalHombre; 07-09-2010 at 01:08 AM. Reason: added link
Old 07-10-2010, 02:00 PM
Pro Rider

How much do you guys suppose a parted out 230 will bring with a locked up motor?

I would imagine complete it would only bring about $500 or so, right?

Old 07-12-2010, 03:47 PM
Trailblazer

Im having difficulty finding a set of 21x7x10 tires for the front of my 230S that arnt expensive. Although I can find tons of inexpensive tires in 22x7x10 size. How would this affect the machine if I stepped up to the larger size? Im thinking there would be no difference. Afterall, the back is 22. Just wanted to ask first.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:40 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by SeanBean
Im having difficulty finding a set of 21x7x10 tires for the front of my 230S that arnt expensive. Although I can find tons of inexpensive tires in 22x7x10 size. How would this affect the machine if I stepped up to the larger size? Im thinking there would be no difference. Afterall, the back is 22. Just wanted to ask first.
I ran 22" on the front to replace the stock 21's and I couldn't tell the difference to be honest. It just looks a TON better.

If you want to get scientific, you can think about how it will lift the front end and therefore adjust some of the steering dynamics, but on this small of a scale, you won't notice.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:54 PM
Trailblazer

Thats what I thought, but I figured it would be a good idea to ask. Not like its 4WD. The added clearance will help. I think the tires I'll probably get are Carlisle 489's or some such. Good price locally. Arm and a leg for anything else in 21.

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.