Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 05:42 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by atvman29
No sir, no key included. Post up some pics!
will do, I love this bike it also has a cobra pipe so its wicked load my ded hates it LOL

Originally Posted by atvman29
I adjusted the valve lash on that 230 today...it was actually pretty easy to be honest. I'll be making an article on it for the Vault soon.

After I finished, I kicked it over and it popped off, and after a little tinkering with the carb, I had it starting and idling really nice! After dinner, I took it down the block, went about 300 yards or so, went to turn around and it killed. Now I can't get it to start again.

Any ideas? This thing is just mind boggling. It might just be flooded right now though, I don't know.
I thought you sold your 230?
you might check the magneto, a few people I know had the magnetos give up on there 230s.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:01 AM
Trailblazer

hey I was wondering does anyone have a spare shift lever they would be willing to part with. mines messed up, it works but not good. its the only part not included w/the engines I have, if you have one or know where I can get one let me know.

Old 03-21-2010, 11:13 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by 230rider
will do, I love this bike it also has a cobra pipe so its wicked load my ded hates it LOL

I thought you sold your 230?
you might check the magneto, a few people I know had the magnetos give up on there 230s.
I did, I still have my girlfriends though. Been sitting in her mom's garage while I've been playing with all my stuff.

Here's the before this weekend pics:

Name:  DSCN0524.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  152.2 KB
Name:  DSCN0523.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  150.3 KB

And I'll put the afters up later tonight.

Old 03-21-2010, 11:14 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by 230rider
hey I was wondering does anyone have a spare shift lever they would be willing to part with. mines messed up, it works but not good. its the only part not included w/the engines I have, if you have one or know where I can get one let me know.
I'd check the good 'ol eBay first, then Bike Bandit second.

I'll see what I can find quick...

Old 03-21-2010, 11:17 AM
Pro Rider

Alright, kicked over that 230 again this morning and it fired right up...

What should I have the idle and low speed screws at with a DG pipe? Any rought estimates? Could it be the wheeler is flooding out when I went riding?

How about the needle? Where should that be?

Old 03-21-2010, 11:25 AM
Pro Rider
Old 03-21-2010, 12:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Need Advice

Well i havnt been on here in a few, i've been busy rippin it up with the 230.....but sadly today she had a pretty sever incident. Well a few months ago i installed some new swing arm bearings. Yesterday i went to a buddy's house and was hitting some nice table tops. Well i guess all the jumping caused the swing arm bearings to fail. I believe because they failed it caused my chain to jump and bind up against the case, cracking it. i also noticed i am missing teeth off the front sprocket. Im sure all of these things had some thing to do with it. Its not a bad crack, but im not sure how badly its damaged, my friends tell me i can just put some jb weld on it, but im more the type to do it the right way. i already planned on buying a k&n filter, front tires, exhaust, and a new different carb(mines f'ed up and wont idle right and the chock is siezed), that stuff would run me about 500.....now i need to get a new chain, case possibly, front sprocket and swing arm bearings again. Any adive would be great. Should i put the money in the 230 or save it and put it toward a newer machine. I'm stumped....O i also might need a new swing arm, last time i did the bearings, i noticed the bore was out of round and also the bearings went in a little easier than i would have expect being 25 years old.

Old 03-21-2010, 02:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

Anyone know the stock carb size for an 85 230, also can anyone break it down to me the difference between a flat side carb it think its called. Also how larger of a carb i can go and still have it work right

Old 03-21-2010, 08:10 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by joker230s
Well i havnt been on here in a few, i've been busy rippin it up with the 230.....but sadly today she had a pretty sever incident. Well a few months ago i installed some new swing arm bearings. Yesterday i went to a buddy's house and was hitting some nice table tops. Well i guess all the jumping caused the swing arm bearings to fail. I believe because they failed it caused my chain to jump and bind up against the case, cracking it. i also noticed i am missing teeth off the front sprocket. Im sure all of these things had some thing to do with it. Its not a bad crack, but im not sure how badly its damaged, my friends tell me i can just put some jb weld on it, but im more the type to do it the right way. i already planned on buying a k&n filter, front tires, exhaust, and a new different carb(mines f'ed up and wont idle right and the chock is siezed), that stuff would run me about 500.....now i need to get a new chain, case possibly, front sprocket and swing arm bearings again. Any adive would be great. Should i put the money in the 230 or save it and put it toward a newer machine. I'm stumped....O i also might need a new swing arm, last time i did the bearings, i noticed the bore was out of round and also the bearings went in a little easier than i would have expect being 25 years old.
If I were you, I would save my $500, JB the case to where it looks decent and doesn't leak oil, put on a new front sprocket ( I have a 13 tooth I can sell you for cheap), and sell it for another $600-$800. That puts you around $1100-$1300, and around here, you can find Z-400s around the $2K range. The 230 is a great machine, but they don't even compare to a Z.

Just my $.02.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:16 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by joker230s
Anyone know the stock carb size for an 85 230, also can anyone break it down to me the difference between a flat side carb it think its called. Also how larger of a carb i can go and still have it work right
I'm not much of a carb guy, but I can tell you that the carb is a Mikuni VM26SS. So its a 26. I've only talked to a few guys on here who have larger carbs. I think JustRandy runs a 30 something but it took a lot of work and mods.

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.