Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 04:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Instigator230S
First post here. I have been lurking for a couple of weeks trying to suck up as much info on the 230s as I can. I was given 2 1986 quadsports, 1 was a rolling chassis with every pivot and bushing pretty much shot. The other was cut in half by someone, but most of the pivots were good.

I started working on them last fall around September and found a motor for sale in Syracuse, NY. Bought that and finally got 1 complete 4 wheeler out of 3. There are very few parts left over that are any good.

here is a link to my photobucket page with a few picks of before and during the rebuild. Quad pictures by instigator24 - Photobucket

Although I have had it running, I have yet to take pics of it complete because I am figuring out what to do about plastic. The fenders I have now are cracked, broke, faded and just barly hanging on.
Welcome!

How much money are you looking to throw into the plastics? If you're like me and you can't warrant spending hundreds of dollars on a new set of plastics, you can repair cracks the frankenstein way by drilling holes on either side of the crack, just large enough for zip ties, and stitch it together. This doesn't look terrible unless you have a great looking quad.

The 230 I was working on a couple of weekends ago (not sure if you saw the pics, but it was the black one a few pages back, also pics in the Vault) had a mess of bad paint and stickers on it. So I picked up a flap disc for the grinder at the Home Depot for ~$4 or so and took it all off and had a nice rough finish to paint on. Get the good spray paint as it really does make a difference. So for the astonishing price of $20 or so after paint, you've got a decent set of plastics.

OR you could go the other way like Trailrider230s did and get yourself a sexy set of fresh plastics from somewhere like RockyMountain or Dennis Kirk (if they still have them).

The choice is yours!

Here's my job vs Trailriders:

After (Suzuki LT230S Vault)

Completed (Suzuki LT230S Vault)

BTW, mines really dull because I went with flat black paint. Not sure how gloss would look. Prolly not too bad. You can see some of the frankenstein stitching I'm talking about on the drivers side of mine between the rear fender and the main body.

Old 03-29-2010, 04:25 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by ericevans14
Yes, I did remove the cover to allow the fluid to be forced up,I assume it wont move because of the emergency brake. Can anyone explain to me how the emergency brake works on these little things? As far as I can tell the adjustable screw forces the piston forward
Take a look up around the clutch lever. Mine didn't have an e-brake so I don't really know. I'm pretty sure there's a button you push down by the clutch pivot and that pulls the e-brake.

You can prolly disconnect it at the rear caliper if you think its giving you problems.

Old 03-29-2010, 05:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That was a great choice on the seat cover Atvman. That vinyl that they use is very workable. Even for a rookie like me .

Welcome to the forums instigator230s. Hopefully you had as much fun on your build, as i did on my build. And my build still isnt over yet. I got some pretty ridiculous mods in the work for my 230.

Old 03-29-2010, 05:57 PM
Trailblazer

WOW! What else can you do that thing? Your bike is awesome, love to colors you chose.

Does anyone have a handle bar they want to get rid of?

Old 03-29-2010, 06:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Trailrider230s
That was a great choice on the seat cover Atvman. That vinyl that they use is very workable. Even for a rookie like me .

Welcome to the forums instigator230s. Hopefully you had as much fun on your build, as i did on my build. And my build still isnt over yet. I got some pretty ridiculous mods in the work for my 230.
Thanks for the warm welcome!!!

I am cheap when it comes to plastics, mostly because my wife would kill me :-)
With any luck I may have a complete rolling chassis with decent plastic tomorrow night. I will keep you posted with the outcome. I am officially addicted! p.s. I have had fun building and riding.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:40 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Instigator230S
Thanks for the warm welcome!!!

I am cheap when it comes to plastics, mostly because my wife would kill me :-)
With any luck I may have a complete rolling chassis with decent plastic tomorrow night. I will keep you posted with the outcome. I am officially addicted! p.s. I have had fun building and riding.
I guess thats where i got lucky. My wife was my co-builder. Have you been to Atvman's site ,The Vault ,yet? If you wanna get an idea how insane my build was go there and click on the restoration link. My friends here at home said i went a lil insane. I figured i got 7 more mods still in the works. Hoping to be able to run an alcohol blended fuel by summer, still building that engine plus 2 spares, 1 stock 1 race. Might even try to figure out a nitrous set up for a 230.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:41 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by gbflex
WOW! What else can you do that thing? Your bike is awesome, love to colors you chose.

Does anyone have a handle bar they want to get rid of?
if you want a stock handle bar i have an extra.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Trailrider230s
I guess thats where i got lucky. My wife was my co-builder. Have you been to Atvman's site ,The Vault ,yet? If you wanna get an idea how insane my build was go there and click on the restoration link. My friends here at home said i went a lil insane. I figured i got 7 more mods still in the works. Hoping to be able to run an alcohol blended fuel by summer, still building that engine plus 2 spares, 1 stock 1 race. Might even try to figure out a nitrous set up for a 230.
I have spent a good amount of time at the vault. I think I have read everything in there at least twice.

Alcohol.....nitrous.........you are nuts!

Old 03-29-2010, 09:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello guys! Nice to see the thread still going strong. I have been lost for a while.

gbflex, I think I have a set of aftermarket steel bars. laying around. Let me know if that might interest you.

I will try to lurk behind the scenes and try to catch up with all you. Glad to see some new guys.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:18 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by UGLY88
Hello guys! Nice to see the thread still going strong. I have been lost for a while.

gbflex, I think I have a set of aftermarket steel bars. laying around. Let me know if that might interest you.

I will try to lurk behind the scenes and try to catch up with all you. Glad to see some new guys.

Ugly88 thanks for the welcome and offer for your handle bars. I sent trailrider a note on his. I am just trying to get my new toy running. You guys rock!

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.