Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 06:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by judas009
hey guys i have an 85 lt230GE and i just recently got it tuned right and its running alright now. However i have a small oil leak coming from the shifter shaft. i read that the oil seal is probably bad and its really easy to replace but what i want to know is if i may have put the wrong oil in the machine? i know on the right side of the crankcase where the clutch is that it demands 10w-40 oil, so that's what i filled it up with. but on the left side of the crankcase it looked like another hole for oil. so i filled it up with 10W-40 as well. but what im thinking now is that maybe that hole should have been filled with transmission fluid and in turn could also be causing the leak from the shifter shaft? so if i do need to put tranny fluid in that hole on the left side of the crankcase what type of tranny fluid needs to go in there and how would i drain the left side of the oil? i know there is an oil drain plug on the bottom of the bike but i don't know if that's for left, right, or both sides? also if it helps the hole on the left side is also where you look down into the for the "T" to help you tell when you are at top dead center. anyways thanks for any help. if you need pictures let me know and ill try and grab some today.
i think you might have over filled your oil. replace the seal and drain so of the oil out then you should be alright. the hole where you see the "T" is just a timing reference viewing point.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:33 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we had a big snow storm here in the stl area overnight so naturally i needed to take off work early to have some fun with the QS, took a few pics with my phone:

Old 01-20-2011, 11:06 PM
Pro Rider

man, am i jealous of you! my QS is in pieces in the shop. ill be lucky to have it in 2 months. id love to run in the snow we have here.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:00 AM
Pro Rider

86zuk,love the yellow! Great lookin wheeler.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:26 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by atvman29
86zuk,love the yellow! Great lookin wheeler.
Thanks! i was pretty pleased with how it turned out.

As far as how it performs in the snow... lets just say its deep enough i wish i had 4 wheel drive lol. But the roads are fun!

Old 01-21-2011, 12:55 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by 86zuk
Thanks! i was pretty pleased with how it turned out.

As far as how it performs in the snow... lets just say its deep enough i wish i had 4 wheel drive lol. But the roads are fun!
4x4 helps surprising little in the deep snow...its allllll about ground clearance. As soon as the snow gets a little deeper than the vehicle's ground clearance, you're not going anywhere!

We've been hammered with snow up here this year. Now we have our yearly cold spell right now....-25 F when I left this morning. Winchills up (or down) to -40 F!! Weather service says exposed flesh freezes in 15 minutes!

Not a good day for the beach.

Old 01-21-2011, 02:37 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by atvman29
We've been hammered with snow up here this year. Now we have our yearly cold spell right now....-25 F when I left this morning. Winchills up (or down) to -40 F!! Weather service says exposed flesh freezes in 15 minutes!

Not a good day for the beach.
brr, i dont envy you. its 18 for a high here today and thats cold enough for me.

sidenote: if your still keeping up with the Vault, theres a few more pics of my QS in my garage and your welcome to use any of them for whatever. Great site btw, i used it alot during my rebuild for info and ideas

Old 01-21-2011, 06:25 PM
Pro Rider

brr, i dont envy you. its 18 for a high here today and thats cold enough for me.

sidenote: if your still keeping up with the Vault, theres a few more pics of my QS in my garage and your welcome to use any of them for whatever. Great site btw, i used it alot during my rebuild for info and ideas
Glad you enjoyed the site. Sorry to all of you for not updating it much. I've been insanely busy lately and just haven't had time to update anything.

Hopefully I'll have time soon!

Old 01-21-2011, 11:04 PM
Range Rover

we had a big snow storm here in the stl area overnight so naturally i needed to take off work early to have some fun with the QS, took a few pics with my phone:
man your bike is so sexy. i envy you....

Old 01-22-2011, 03:36 AM
Pro Rider

i got some paint on the bike today. nice royal blue frame, brilliant silver a arms and black steering components. plus since i was so jealous of 86zuk, i took my bayou out and played a little. pics up

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.