Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 10:12 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

take pics of the axle from the angle you are seeing it "way off" and post them up. then take some pics of the axle closer up from the back so we can see.

Old 07-03-2010, 02:25 PM
Trailblazer
Default Valve lash question

I'm new to the site and to ATV's I used to own a few street bikes, but I picked up an 86-87? 230 the other day. It has a rather loud ticking coming from it. I have never adjusted valve lash, so I have no experience. I have gone to the 230 "vault" and read the tutorial on adjusting the lash, but there is something I can't quite figure out. I think I have my machine very close to TDC and at that point the tutorial says..." Once you have the caps off, you can grab the rocker, which is the steel piece below the jam nut, and try to shake it up and down. There should be a little play. If there isn't, then its a good thing you're doing this." Well, I did that and I have LOTS of play...I'm talking several mm. It only says there should be a little play, but I'm thinking a little is barely moving, not several mm. Can somebody clarify this? About how much movement is "a little play"? I'm thinking the .001-.003 is the movement I should have, and if that is the case this thing is way way off.
Thanks
Nik

Old 07-04-2010, 05:29 PM
Range Rover

your right . there shouldnt be that much movement. in that article it says

The lash settings for the 230 are as follows:

.001-.003 - Intake
.003-.005 - Exhaust

Old 07-04-2010, 09:26 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks Lenny. I'm going to get those back in spec tomorrow hopefully...should run much better with lots less noise I hope.

Old 07-05-2010, 02:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just installed the new chain today. Adjusted so there's just a tid bit of play when suspension is fully compressed. With this adjustment, the chain seems very loose when no weight is on the quad. Is this normal or is something not quite right?

Old 07-05-2010, 03:30 PM
Trailblazer

pics would help with any problem... but if not ... id say you have to much play in the chain ... it depends on what you mean by "alot" you should have like a inch or to inch and a half of play.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:04 AM
Trailblazer

Hi Guys. I picked up an 86 230S a couple weeks ago from a guy for FREE. Well, it wasnt free, but I traded him a new wankel engine for his snowmobile. I was a little skeptical at first if I should pick it up, since it was so old and I didnt know if they still made anything for it. Well, needless to say I was in for a surprise when I googled it, and found basically a cult following, and that every part is still made. I decided to rebuild it. Im going to get it going for the summer, then do a frame off this winter.

Anyways, its in pretty good shape, other than the fact that it sat under a tree for MANY MANY years. The engine was clean enough to eat off though. The plastics are in rough shape and theres no hood. I rebuilt the carb and I got it running and it doesnt smoke too bad. And the only thing I could find wrong with it is the swingarm bearings disintigrated and cracked the swing arm. I welded it up to get me through the summer and Im waiting on a new bearing kit.

Now, this is where I need the expertise of the accult to help initiate me:

Im missing a couple parts of the controls and I had a question about the decompression cable. My cable has long been missing, but it has a handle right beside the clutch. Is that where the cable goes to? Is that factory? Someone mentioned to me once that its usually a little **** on the side of the machine you pull.

The only other thing its missing is the button for the park brake. Or at least I assume thats what it is.

But there sure is alot of reading material around here. Im still quite surprised at the level of support for these old machines.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:08 AM
Range Rover

if the axle can move side to side as in it has "play" then change the swing arm bearings which is pretty simple .....pull the chain off not sure if you have to take the shock off but i did cuz i was changing it.......and also idk you may have to take the brake off or line 1 or the other once again i was doing a full rebuild so you can probly get away wit not taking them off and take the bolt that goes through the swing arm that holds it to the frame then the fun part of taking them out which honestly idk try and hit it out with a screw driver the guy b4 me beat the **** out of it so bad and changed nothing the the 1 bearing was gone and the other was so chewd up it just fell out....... and when putting it back together and you dont have some1 with you take the wheels off it makes it alot lighter and easier to get the swingarm bolt back in

Old 07-06-2010, 11:12 AM
Range Rover

fallen angel im in the same situation if i losen it to where it has play it skips on hard take off or steep hills but if i thighten it i dont hit jumps idk im still working on a solution my self

Old 07-07-2010, 01:53 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by fallen angel
I just installed the new chain today. Adjusted so there's just a tid bit of play when suspension is fully compressed. With this adjustment, the chain seems very loose when no weight is on the quad. Is this normal or is something not quite right?
You want to get the chain in spec with you sitting on it. I can't remember how much slack there is supposed to be (1.2-1.5" I think?), but get that in there while you're sitting on the vehicle and it should be good for fully compressed and completely free.

Also, invest in a case saver. BikeBandit has one cheap, I gave someone the link a few pages back.

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.