Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 10:16 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

That's a good idea about the zerks. I'll have to do that. I put one in the swingarm and one in the axle when I had those apart.

I guess if there are no stress problems with the spacers, the only downside I see is the calipers being exposed (if that is a problem). How much time do you have on that setup and what kind of riding do you do?

I couldn't resist the opportunity to cut n weld, lol. I'm about half done with lengthening the a-arms. The bottom 2 are done. They are 3.25 inches longer. I'm going to make an upper shock mount with different mounting positions and see what works best. I'm also going to a 23 inch tire. Stock 22's are in the back. I'll get some pics up next week sometime.

Old 10-07-2007, 08:50 AM
Pro Rider

I also have the spacers and I also use a nut & washers to push the rim out even further. So it's the hub, really thick nut and washer (on each stud) then the 1.5" durablue spacers and my rims are also 2+3 offset. I have riding several times now with that configuration and have had 0 issues with the calipers nor bearings and I ride in several different types of terrain. When I measured the front I was just a hair under 44".

I suppose if your out on the track doing triples then you might not want to do what I did but otherwise if you regulary inspect and ensure everything is functioning properly then shouldn't be any issues.

Old 10-07-2007, 01:58 PM
Elite Pro Rider

After reading all this about spacers and rim offsets, it makes me feel really confident about the bearings in my setup. I'm about 40.5 or 41 inches now,,, before the a-arm mod. After the mod I'll be about 47.

One thing I noticed while working on it last night that I didn't see before is that the more spacers and rim offsets you pile on, the harder it should be to turn and greater the effects of bump steer. I never noticed it when I switch my rims around. Probably because it took me so long to drill a new valve stem hole and seal up the old one that I forgot how it used to drive. Has anyone noticed any harder steering or more bump steer with all the spacers? If the measurement from the center of the tire tread to the center of the balljoint is large, the torque due to the terrain on the steering components should also be large.

Old 10-07-2007, 09:21 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Well, I went for another ride in the mountains today. I went to check the air in my front tires by pushing down on both of them to see if they have the same pressure when I noticed they were loose and moving side to side. My upper balljoints are shot! What luck... And then after a jump my exhaust fell off. Its the stock exhaust, so just the back half fell off, but still a PITA carrying a hot exhaust back to the truck with a stick. The bolts must have vibrated out... Looks like a place for some red thread locker. My buddy didnt have any better luck with his 250. He flipped over backwards trying to climb a hill. Broke a bunch of plastic off the back fender and bent the handlebars down. Plastic for the lt250s is all but impossible to find too. Not a good day, lol.

Anyway, my balljoints were fine a week ago,,, the last time I checked my tires. If you do any hard riding and have offset rims it wouldn't surprise me if the upper balljoints crapped out.

Old 10-08-2007, 04:04 PM
Pro Rider

http://www.maier-mfg.com/index.php

If they don't make plastics for a 250, doubt your buddy will be able to find em anywhere!

Old 10-08-2007, 05:25 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Thanks for the link.

I think he should just get a 230 tank and seat and then get the 230 plastics. Its just a matter of time before he breaks them again, lol, he pushes the limits too much. I've seen plastics on ebay for the 230 for $90 before.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:21 PM
Pro Rider

Trust me, you are talking to the KING of pushing the limits!!!! I understand..........

Old 10-08-2007, 09:52 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Pending approval... my pics are up.

About pushing the limits... He once drove my bayou off a cliff without much evidence of trying to avoid it. Good thing there was a tree close by to plant his face or he might have really gotten hurt. Can't say as much for the bayou. The front tire came off the rim and the racks were all bent up. We had to winch it up (and by up I mean more or less straight up). From what I hear,,, he's done this with a bike too. Me??? I usually break something everytime I go out, and so far its always been on the quad (knock on wood). Two pairs of vicegrips clamped on to the quad and a tow strap is standard riding gear for me.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:56 PM
Pro Rider

read back a little about my deer experience..... I tend to think the jackazz series was about me.. I am such a tard! can't wait to see tha pix!!!

Old 10-08-2007, 10:39 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I've read though this 48 pages twice so far.... I can mark that off my life's list of things to do, lol. But, I don't remember seeing what happened with you and the deer. I can imagine,,, knowing how deer are. How is it going with the recovery of your stuff? You microstamping everything was a great idea, I need to do that. Never know..... Maybe even RFID, lol.

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.