Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

CLUTCH ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 10:39 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CLUTCH ???

i believe my Clutch is week i do a lot of hard timber riding getting stuck at the bottom of hills (love hill climbing making new trails) so as a result i use my clutch somtimes to much and i think it took a tole on my machine anyway my ? is what clutch do ya all recomend and were do you guys purchase from.

Old 07-26-2007, 04:10 PM
Pro Rider
Default CLUTCH ???

I put a Tusk in mine. It's $39.99 out of Rocky Mountain ATV, comes with new fibers & steel plates. Springs are only $6.00 too.

It's an economical kit & in my opinion is just as good as the "high dollar" ones. I've used Tusk clutches in Banshees,Quadracers, YZ-250 bikes & now my Z400 with ZERO problems.

Make sure that whichever you buy to soak the fiber plates in oil for 1 hr prior to install.

Old 07-26-2007, 05:08 PM
Trailblazer
Default CLUTCH ???

thanx that all i need what is the deal with aftermarket baskets and stuff do youget better performance or just stronger product.

Old 07-26-2007, 07:23 PM
Pro Rider
Default CLUTCH ???

Total waste of money, unless you're a pro racer & can abuse the clutch THAT bad.

Old 07-26-2007, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider
Default CLUTCH ???

I run the ebc clutch discs with a hinson basket and it works great for me. and aftermarket clutch baskets last longer than the stock ones, I wasted my clutch a few months ago and I've had the hinson basket in there for over 3 years and not a mark on it where the disc rides, and you can get new HD springs for it too

Old 07-27-2007, 11:55 AM
Pro Rider
Default CLUTCH ???

im in the same boat that you are. we both do the same kinds of riding and my clutch is spanked. i did hours upon hours of research on what clutch to buy bc i run 22's so it puts a little extra wear on the clutch. ive found that ebc are junk and barnetts wear quicker than stock ones because theyre designed for racing and lots of abuse for short periods of time. racers change their clutches every race. and i looked at the tusk one and it was pretty much junk too. i believe it was kevlar too. the last thing you want to do is buy a kevlar clutch fibers and put them in your 4stroke motor bc when they wear the bits of kevlar are like sand circulating throughout your motor. i found the dp clutch from dennis kirk to be the best. its 153 for the z400 but it comes with everything you need except the gasket witch im not replacing anyway. i found that i needed a clutch hub too. that is what your plates go into. that should be perfectly smooth and shiny if its not replace it with an oem one. it was 65 bucks. soak your fibers for at least 24hrs even if it says you dont need to. and part of the reason your clutch wore was the oil you were using. i used regular motor oil in mine and it has to be approved for a bunch of stuff. use the suzuki oil its more expensive but better for the quad.

Old 07-27-2007, 11:55 AM
Pro Rider
Default CLUTCH ???

im in the same boat that you are. we both do the same kinds of riding and my clutch is spanked. i did hours upon hours of research on what clutch to buy bc i run 22's so it puts a little extra wear on the clutch. ive found that ebc are junk and barnetts wear quicker than stock ones because theyre designed for racing and lots of abuse for short periods of time. racers change their clutches every race. and i looked at the tusk one and it was pretty much junk too. i believe it was kevlar too. the last thing you want to do is buy a kevlar clutch fibers and put them in your 4stroke motor bc when they wear the bits of kevlar are like sand circulating throughout your motor. i found the dp clutch from dennis kirk to be the best. its 153 for the z400 but it comes with everything you need except the gasket witch im not replacing anyway. i found that i needed a clutch hub too. that is what your plates go into. that should be perfectly smooth and shiny if its not replace it with an oem one. it was 65 bucks. soak your fibers for at least 24hrs even if it says you dont need to. and part of the reason your clutch wore was the oil you were using. i used regular motor oil in mine and it has to be approved for a bunch of stuff. use the suzuki oil its more expensive but better for the quad.

Old 07-27-2007, 01:01 PM
Pro Rider
Default CLUTCH ???

Umm.... no $hit there will be clutch particles in the oil. Funny thing is you only seem to see them IN THE FILTER!! Unless you don't have an oil filter in it (or change it that often) the particles will never circulate through the engine.

In 2-stroke trannies the oil looks like glitter when you change the oil, but there's obviously no filter to catch the clutch residue.