Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Z90 clutch spacer

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 02:09 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z90 clutch spacer

Has anyone out there removed the clutch spacer (similar to the Z50) on a Z90?

If so, can someone provide me with a summary of how much quicker these quads run without the clutch spacer.

I have 2 of them at the moment and I think they are gonna be cracking quads but at the moment they are on the slow side.

I want to run them in for a few weeks then change the oil and filters and hopefully remove this spacer that I know will make them quicker.

Anyone please?

Old 02-17-2008, 07:43 PM
Range Rover

I removed my sons about 2 monthes ago. Huge difference compared to stock! I would say atleast twice as fast if not more. I also played around with taking out rollers but it didnt make a big enough difference so I left them all in there. Go ahead and take the spacer out it is well worth it.

Old 02-17-2008, 10:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just finished removing the spacer for my son's new Suzuki LT-Z90. It was easy to do. This is how I removed the spacer; do at your own risk!!

1) I removed the plastic that partly covers the left side of the engine. I used a 10mm socket to remove the 3 bolts in the left foot area.

2) I used a 7mm socket to remove the 6 screws that held the left case on.

3) I carefully removed the left side of case paying close attention not to damage the gasket.

4) I then used an impact wrench with a 17mm socket to loosen the nut on the pulley on the left. It has the cooling fins. (counter clockwise to loosen the nut)

5) I removed nut, washer, and the closest side of the pulley.

6) I removed the larger spacer that surrounds the inner spacer. That's it!!

7) I then reassembled the bike.

I took it for a quick test and was very impressed with the speed increase.

I will update this post with the new increased speed as soon as I can. Yesterday the ATV would only do 15mph with the spacer installed. The speed was checked by driving next to a Yamaha Rhino 660 with a digital speedometer.

!! UPDATE !!
2/18/08 The Suzuki LT-Z90 now does 28.6mph compared to 15mph when the speed limiting spacer was installed !!!!

The speed was check by using a GPS on a quad along side the z90. I will clock it against the Yamaha Rhino speedometer in 2 weeks. It is a awsome quad and my son is very happy now!! It has climbed every hill that we climb with 250cc quads, even some very steep hills where he was leaning over the handle bars!

I weigh around 260lbs and it took me above 25mph with the spacer removed!

See the difference by watching videos listed below...........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLB3IJPpsWU 15mph Limiter Installed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjXFYVuVZO8 28.6mph Limiter Removed

Old 02-18-2008, 05:09 AM
Trailblazer

Superb folks. Thanks very much for your efforts. Can't wait to remove the spacer.

I think you'll agree the Z90 is a great bike?

All the best.

Old 02-19-2008, 01:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have to agree that removing the spacer made a huge difference. It took no more than 20-30 minutes to remove. Santa brought the Z90 for my 8-year old daughter, but with the spacer removed, she has to fight off her 12-year old brother to ride it. He rides it pretty hard and it hasn't missed a lick....

Dirt Wheels Mag (Aug-07) has a pretty thorough review of the Z90 against the Outlaw 90. Aug-07 Ecopy

Old 02-20-2008, 09:32 AM
Weekend Warrior

Another good mod is the wheels that can be turned to give the bike a wider stance. Rotating the rear tires (left for right) gives a much more stable ride. You can also do the front tires, but I changed them back as the brakes are fairly exposed, plus they were actually a little wider than the rear.

The kids love riding this thing and doing endless doughnuts that it's almost time for new rubber on the back. If anybody has recommendations for new tires, let me know....

Old 02-20-2008, 09:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

http://www.carlisletire.com/pr...rs/snowhog/index.html

These are the tires were gonna get for my little brothers z90, the look like a mini holeshot so i think he'll like it. Lookes like they'll be a tad narrower tho, but oh well.

Old 02-27-2008, 05:52 PM
Trailblazer

Removed spacer yesterday. Big top-end difference. Probably not quite as fast as an LT-80 but pretty good. Definately not as fast as an LT-80 off the mark!

You don't need a special tool to remove the spacer. Just unscrew the opposite side of the crank shaft with an allen-key and get someone to hold a socket over the crank to stop it moving while you undo the cooling fan screw to get to the clutch. Easy peasy. I recommend this to anyone looking to waken the Z90 up.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Z90 clutch spacer"></title><script src=

sorry to be an idiot, but what 7 mil nuts am i looking for in step 2? i can't find 6 of anything that small that will help me get the left case off. where are they located? i got the 3 in the foot plastic off in step 1 but i'm lost on step 2. suggestions?

Old 02-09-2009, 08:56 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

They should be around the cover. I'm thinking it may be a 8mm.