Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

04 eiger 400 no spark

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2021, 07:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 eiger 400 no spark

hey guys, i havent posted in several years as i got out of the bike game (divorce and loss of shop). but im trying to get back into it again with a new business venture. but anyway, i have an 04 eiger 400 with the typical no spark issue. it had dropped the magnets so i replaced the stator and the magneto with new updated parts. i have a dva and tested my ckp wires and the primary spits out 4.7 vdc and the secondary spits out .75 vdc so all that checks out. i even swapped the yellow an white wires around assuming the pick up polarity was backwards. its only getting 1 mv to the ignition coil from the cdi and it should be 150v. so i know thats the issue. i just hate to charge my customer the 450 for a new cdi without knowing for a fact its the issue. im guessing the guy he bought it from mayve tried jumping it with a car battery when the magnets failed and he cooked the cdi. im looking for anyone i can ship this cdi to with return shipping just to test it on their quad. any help is appreciated. thanks again.

Old 01-03-2021, 04:10 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 306 Likes on 300 Posts

Neither magneto coil will spit out DC, and 4.7v seems pretty feeble for an "exciter coil" though I don't know what it should be, and my Eiger manual is at work. To be honest I've never had ignition problems with a Suzuki, except for the dreaded magnets dropped off flywheel. Probably why the Chinese haven't bothered making CDIs for them. Have you checked the kill wire? Eiger ignition switches are known to fail frequently. That "sink plug" one is also a bit suspect, though I think it is wired to lock out the starter too.

Old 01-04-2021, 09:51 AM
Pro Rider

i didnt check the stator itself because i bypassed it and made a new wiring harness that only get the 4 wires from the ckp(pick up coil) and the hot and ground that i can manually switch off and the ignition coil wire so it totally cuts out the oil temp and parking brake safety. ive went through all of the checks in the manual and the only thing not putting out the correct voltage is the 150vdc that goes to the ignition coil. its definately a head scratcher. a chinese cheapo would be great to check it with. sadly youre right none available.

Old 01-05-2021, 03:55 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 306 Likes on 300 Posts

Making up a new harness that by-passes things is a really bad idea unless you know exactly what was in the mind of whoever designed the system at the factory. As I wrote above, I haven't fixed Suzuki ignition circuits but Honda and Yamaha wire the neutral light circuit into the CDI and, on a Honda anyway, cut that wire and you won't get a spark when using the electric start. My procedure with ignition circuits in general is to disconnect the CDI, work out which wire to it does what, and check them in turn, earth wire is earthed, kill wire is earthed with ignition switch one way but not t'other, trigger coil voltage (AC) and/or resistance, same with exciter coil, resistance on ignition coil wire, plus any "extras" such as the aforementioned neutral wire. If they all test as right, but you get no output from CDI then it looks like a faulty CDI, but as I also wrote, 4.7v seems feeble for an exciter, lots of Hondas wap out 50v or even 100v but if the book says 4.7v is OK then it should be.

Old 06-17-2022, 02:04 PM
Pro Rider

ok so i fixed my problem. the magnets in the magneto had their poles reversed. so i pulled the exciter wires from their plug where it joins into the wiring harness and depinned the plug and reversed the yellow and white wires and voila runs like a champ. apparently if you have 2 different manufacturers of stator and magneto theres a possibility that the polarity doesnt match. i found this on another forum and wanted to share.