Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

2010 king quad 500axi differential actuator repair

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2021, 08:31 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 king quad 500axi differential actuator repair

Hello all,
has any one REPAIRED the 4WD/Diff Lock actuator on a King Quad?

I bought a 2010 KQ 500axi, 4wd does not engage and neither does the diff lock.

There is no sound of the actuator working. I found the round white connector just under the gear shifter, disconnected, measured the voltage at the pins while I selected 4wd and diff lock. The voltages change with each selection. It appears that the 4wd button and the diff lock switch are working and the signal is at least getting to the connector. I think the actuator is hosed.
I'm cheap, and $500 for a replacement is a tough option. I'm pretty handy, and I don't mind being my hands dirty.
Research leads me to believe it very well could be an under powered dc motor inside the actuator that has burner out. I found a compatible motor with a bit more power capability on Amazon, >$8.
I ordered the motor and some JB weld rtv gasket compound. (Reassembly)
I'm going to replace the motor and hopefully that will fix the issue.
If it does, that will be a $15 repair versus a $500 replace.
Of course, it could be the little circuit board inside the actuator housing, but for $20, I'm willing to take the gamble.
Circuit boards tend to do ok as long as they're kept dry and there are no voltage spikes.
The little motors, on the other hand, tend to crap the bed at the first opportunity.

Anyone else try this? Successes? Warnings?
​​​​

Old 08-05-2021, 01:51 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 306 Likes on 300 Posts

Been there, done that, total failure. When ordering a new $500 unit, dealer asked if we had tried the cheap eBay motor fix, we said yes, his reply "they don't work do they" A little messing about revealed the motors I got ran in the opposite direction, changed polarity and it worked..... once, then packed in again. Can only assume the new motor hasn't the guts of the originals, despite being the same part number on them. This person https://www.501parts.com/product-cat...-servo-motors/ has done all the leg work for the equally rubbish Yamaha 4WD system, pity he doesn't expand to include the Suzuki one.

Old 08-05-2021, 07:46 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am really cheap, and that is what drives me to search for repair fixes rather than the more expensive replace option. I figured, even if the motor doesnt fix the issue, i can still get the replacement part.
Spoiler