Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Towing vehicle Q.......

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 04:49 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing vehicle Q.......

I am about to get an enclosed trailer Approximately 8' X 20' (not a toy trailer, but a car hauler type).

What kind of tow vehicle would I need for this?? I plan on loading a max of sport 4 quads at a time.

What would get the best gas mileage?? Is it worth the extra money to get a diesel??? Do they get that much better gas mileage??

How about a Titan?? Honda Ridgeline?? Toyota Tundra????

Any help greatly appreciated!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-24-2006, 12:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

Take the weight of the trailer you are going to purchase, add the weight of the quads and all the gear you will be hauling, don't forget the food, water, fuel, passengers and other junk and then shop for a rig that is rated to pull/haul this weight.

Your wise to think ahead on this, most of the time you see posts from people that have some little POS rig that they are trying to tow or haul way too much with. Don't believe what the sales people tell you about the truck they are pushing, get the ratings off the sticker on the door jamb and go by those numbers. If you really want to enjoy your towing experience buy a rig that has about 20% more capacity than you need. Chances are you will grow into it and won't have to trade up later. Even if you have the extra capacity and don't use it you will not be putting as much strain on the machine and it will last longer. Good luck and enjoy your new toys.

Old 07-24-2006, 01:04 PM
Pro Rider

A diesel is going to cost you a little more from the start, but is well worth it. Nice thing with a diesel is that you can tow almost anything you hook up to and when its not hooked up almost all brands will get 17mpg plus. And when putting on some add ons the power goes through the roof and mileage usually gets better as well.

Old 07-24-2006, 07:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

ridbobcat is right about the milage, power and higher cost of the diesel pickups. The type of driving you do when not towing should be considered as diesels do not do well with mostly short trip runs. Even with the added power you still want to stay within rated capacities as just, if not more, important as getting going is getting stopped.

I have often mentioned that a person should consider the worst case scenario. You have your family in the tow rig, going downhill on a wet road. Making a gradual to increasing turn when something enters the roadway right in front of you. Having the ability to make controlled maneuvers while braking hard becomes instantly essential. A tow vehicle with added capacity just makes good sense as do brakes on the trailer.

Just my opinion based on a lot of miles towing all kinds of trailers with a variety of tow rigs.

Old 07-24-2006, 08:48 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

Good point ten. Most people just look at tow capacity based on how fast can I pull the biggest trailer up a 6% grade. Just asking for trouble. A big thing to think about is in that worst case something happens and you lose trailer brakes. Plug falls out, short somewhere, brake controller (if electric) goes nuts, lose a hydraulic line, brakes overheat, etc.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 07-24-2006, 09:56 PM
Pro Rider

If you get a diesel you can get pretty close to the same fuel milage if your pulling a trailer or if your not, at least our d-max does.

Old 07-24-2006, 11:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Everyone above made good points. I'd also recommend that you look closely at what the hitch weight will be of your fully loaded trailer.

If the trailer is stoutly constructed at all, I think it's weight with four quads, gas, gear, passengers and all will put you into the range of at least a 2500 (3/4 ton) series pickup.

A diesel will get almost twice the gas milage while pulling heavy as a similar gas rig, while also performing better and lasting longer. They cost more, but if you look at kelly blue book value of 5 year old trucks, you get pretty much all the price of the engine back when it's time to sell, so the fuel savings is like money in the bank.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide.

P.S. I think Dodge has some sort of employee pricing promotion going on...

Old 07-25-2006, 02:58 AM
Pro Rider

1st off, I wanted to saythanks to everyone for their help and input. I really appreciate it! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

2nd, what is the normal towing capacity for a 1/2 ton???
I thought that with an enclosed trailer, you'd easily be able to tow it with a 1/2 ton since they are relatively light compared to a toy hauler???

Perhaps a used F-250, or Dodge 2500 (diesel for either) would be a better choice than a 1/2 ton gas truck???

What kind of price should I expect to pay for a used diesel???
How old is too old???

Thanks again for your time and input! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-25-2006, 03:00 AM
Pro Rider

Oh yeah, forgot to say that I want to get a 4 door crew cab.......... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-25-2006, 03:47 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 2fun

Perhaps a used F-250, or Dodge 2500 (diesel for either) would be a better choice than a 1/2 ton gas truck???

OH YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Towing vehicle Q.......