Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 04:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

BlackandRed,

Sounds like your transportation situation can't be beat (financially). Of course, your boss could always buy you a new Ford.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Are you in the field a lot?

MrTommy,

How did the Keystone project go?

Old 06-30-2004, 06:20 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

Field? What's that? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Yeah, sometimes I am. I'm technically a draftsman. So, the truck is a huge bennie. Never heard of a draftsman having a company truck. I go out on occasion. I work for an electrical contractor and sometimes they need an extra body here or there. Wire pulling, that kind of thing. Usually I'm out when I'm called to deliver stuff; parts, equipment, trucks. On occasion we use SquareD Powerlink power panels and I get called on to program them as I'm the Computer Czar as the office manager calls me. Course it doesn't take much to plug in a laptop and upload the program. Now, if I can only get the electricians to install the control wiring CORRECTLY!

The Office Manager keeps telling him to buy me a new truck and give his daughter the truck I drive. It'd be dead within a year. Breathing room would be nice. All the trucks we have are F-150 4.6L standard cab long beds. They run about $22-25K, and the car his daughter wants is like $15K. Do the math....

If I could only convince him what I REALLY need is an F-350 CC LB SRW 4x4 PSD. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] That would tweak just about every foreman we have. Ahhhh dreams. I think that's way overkill for what I do.

Our next big truck will be an F-650 (my vote would be a CAT 3126B under the hood 300HP/800 ft lb.) whenever the '94 F-450 gives up the ghost. Hell, a 650 would be cheaper to operate with a diesel than the 460 pig that's in there. Get's like 4-6MPG or something like that.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 06-30-2004, 10:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey whitewater, I'm too old at 40 to be ribbed for pleasure anymore, now it's "rich" for her pleasure, but i'm not that either, she just spends like we are. my wife has a theory; as long as there are checks in the check book, there must be $$ in the checking account.works for her. and marraige means ribbing only occurs annually.NOW i know why she was smiling at the altar. If only the male species could get the little head to stop doing all the thinking, and making the important decisions! that should offend some too. LOL & sorry.

now that our $$ is worth 70% of yours, my truck has lost value. they were dumping mega Powerstrokes in the US when our $$ was worth half of yours, guys were making $4,000 a truck selling them in the US. the dealers wouldn't sell to wholesalers, so wholesalers would get guys to lease Powerstrokes for 6 months at a time, and pay the lease payments. basically, a new truck for free every 6 months.

Old 07-01-2004, 04:04 AM
Quad Patrol

It's funny when you listen to how people take care of their vehicles and the shape that they stay in. Who would think that vehicles would still be running with no problems with pure antifreeze and not changing the transmission fluid. I know if I did that, it would cost me more in repairs, then just doing the proper maintenance of the vehicle.

BlackandRed, you are lucky with your vehicle arrangement especially with today's fuel prices:Still push for that F350, all they can say is no. Or, worse give you the daughter's old vehicle. Like that hasn't happened before[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] j/k.

Like confused (or is it Trojan), I have had good luck with my powerchip. The power is there when I need it and it gave me back some of the fuel mileage that was lost with the bigger tires. My brother just put an "edge" program in his truck('02 f250). He definately feels the power and likes it so far. He's pulling his 5th wheel to Lake Tahoe tommorrow for the weekend. We'll see how it does.
I also think that the self programmed power units are the ones that get people in trouble. If that is all that was out there, I definately wouldn't buy one. I'd be afraid I 'd screw something up by changing something I shouldn't have. Lt. Dan

Old 07-01-2004, 05:32 AM
Pro Rider

the pure antifreeze has kept things like new and clean. he's just lucky the extremes of temperature haven't taught him a lesson. the tranny fluid..... if that was me, I'd have blown 2 trannys by now just on account of bad luck. ALTHOUGH, a friend of a friend is some sorta mechanical engineering genius and claims tranny fluid properties are such that it never needs to be changed, and he's never done it and never suffered the consequences. good for him, but I don't subscribe to his line of thinking and I'll keep changing mine.I've seen the pan pulled with the magnet full of filings and the dirty filter and the way darker colored fluid, plus the burnt odor. And i know he doesn't tow anything, he's talking car. wuss!

I use my truck on the road a lot for appointments. depends where I'm going and if I figure i can park it. I am truly embarassed to take it with me in the majority of cases. People conclude you're filthy rich, or clients get green with envy and think you're cheating them. It really peeves me, cuz i basically "mortgaged" the truck by starting with a long lease that made the payments almost affordable, then rolled the buy-out into a bank loan. Me and my pal (actually, the friend of the friend above) both shopped at the same time and saved thousands by choosing better leasing options, and by finding a no b$/volume Ford dealer that didn't waste time trying to grind out a couple extra thousand on the sale. Buddy got a Lightning. I still think I got the better truck. And I really looK after it well.

people only see a $50,000 truck, but they don't realize I don't have a new home in the same subdivision as them, I do EVERYTHING myself including all renos, home repairs, mechanical repairs, maintenance, etc.. . They sit back and whine about how rich you must be, while they go to the dealer for every unnecessary service interval, call in the tradesman to change a light bulb, buy designer clothes, drink lattes at Starburnts,etc..: all at top $$. They assume you must be the same, so if you have a nice truck that they CHOOSE not to have, you're rich and they're hard done by and getting the shaft. I say CHOOSE, cuz we don't do or get a lot of other things, so we made a CHOICE to have a nice truck at the expense of not going on an annual Disneyland vacation or living in a newer home like whitewater [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] , (but in his case, he is loaded LOL.. just kidding). People choose something else, but I'm glad for them when they go to Disneyland or whatever choice they make with their own pile of $$, I'm not envious or jealous at all. I'm elated for their enjoyment.

I'm self-conscious about it and I really don't want to try and show off. Heck, i wish I was rich cuz then I could have the toy collection many others have here, without even thinking about it. What are you gonna do, most people just love to complain and you'll never make them happy, and they can't see past that. People are so incredibly stupid and insulting. If I hear one more time, "Geez, why do you need such a big truck?" (and the words are always dripping with sarcasm), I'm gonna put it in 4-low, drive over their yuppie-mobile in the Starburnts parking lot and say,"they were outta Hummers so this was the next biggest thing i could get", or, "I just like it cuz it's so economical and good for the enviroment, and fun to park downtown in the underground lots". Aaaaarrggghh!!

And it's the same when you tell them you have 5 atvs. 1 was new, 3 were used and I rebuilt 2 of them from junk, and one is a family heirloom. Nobody hears that... now i know what my wife means about my zoning her out...., all i hear is "blah, blah, blah..." Hmmm.

Sorry for the rant, but it was truck AND atv related!!

Old 07-01-2004, 10:50 AM
Pro Rider

Dear Dazed-n-Confused / Trojan / Gees Mr., you're Rich and old (40?),

Looks like you do have it all. Who cares about a new house (besides me[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]). You have a nice truck, you live in the land of Bob and Doug McKenzie, you have a nice trailer, ATV's to ride, a wife that loves you - wow, it's getting deep now.

Anywho, I have some friends a few houses down the street that just took thier kids to Disneyland for 2-weeks. Holy cow! Two weeks!! I think I would kill my kids after two-weeks. They spent 8K on that vacation!! Is that crazy or what? That's a new Sportsman 700 V-Twin EFI (can ya tell I like Polaris?). I just consider the 8-10 weekends a year of camping as a vacation; my daughter hates it, but if she had her way, we would spend our family vacation at the mall.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Boring...

Hey, speaking of the land of Beer, I went and saw RUSH last night. Very Cool!!! I also got to ride in a new F-350 to the concert. It was better than a limo. See, I can stay on topic (I mentioned Polaris and an F-350[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]).

Old 07-01-2004, 02:11 PM
Pro Rider

bob and doug? you know more about Canadian history than most Canadians.Although both of them became big stars in the US (Quislings!!). Actually, Rush did a song with Bob and Doug, "take off to the great white north". I saw Rush in 1980 and again in 1982. I hope they're still big enough to fill a big venue?? Most of the bands I liked from the late 70's play bar type venues now, with a big cover charge. These kids these days want to hear re-mixed disco dance music, hip hop or eecchh, rap! I'd rather listen to nails on a blackboard.

How does this relate to trucks? AN excellent Q! I'm going to record the sound of my diesel revving up and down and then mumble an overdub of swear words and how much I hate or want to kill everything, and call it rap/hip hop hybrid. should make millions. Ha Ha ha.... I will be rich after all!! oh, and how was Canada's best rock band?

I wasn't complaining about MY life (it only sounded like that[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] ). I was whining about how other people rub me the wrong way by the way they judge me about owning a nice truck. WOW, this is deep, we've come full circle to the "judging a book by it's cover" thing again! I'm gonna go get a mohawk to go with the Powerstroke.

And the beer, we're all "micro-breweries" now. you guys have the same thing. it's kinda too yuppie for me, all these cream honey wheat Haufenfluesen ales. can i just have a lager beer please?

oh, and if you really knew Canada, you'd have said Happy Birthday, since this is our equivalent to July 4 (Happy early birthday America). take-off eh, ya hoser!

Old 07-01-2004, 02:20 PM
Pro Rider

Happy Birthday America Jr.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I actually went to Calgary in 86 for the 4th. It was cool. And to answer your question about Canada's Best Band - totally awesome dude!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] It was good. The old guys can still wail. I'm into progressive metal music and Rush was the forerunner for most of the bands I like today. Of course, I listen to most everything except, pop, hip-hop, rap, and Neil Diamond.

Speaking of 7.3 Liter Diesel engines, the Canadian band I really like is Head Pins (heard of em?). Oh, and I meant to ask you; what kind of hours are you keeping? Did you just wake up?

Old 07-01-2004, 04:23 PM
Pro Rider

yep, I saw the Headpins in a few bars. chick lead singer -Darby Mills (it's been over 20 years okay)?? Turn it Loud was their big hit, n'est pas? Pretty sure they're from Vancouver, just like Bryan Adams. my stepsister went to school with him. Another good band from Canada is the Tragically Hip, but I don't think they've ever hit it big in the Excited States [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img].

Ya, I slept in today. it's a national holiday. but I'm not the one copulating the pooch at work[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] . I'm re-wiring my new/old 18' flat deck equipment trailer. what a moron who did it before me, I wish Mr. Tommy's signature would have cleansed him from the gene pool. Just came in for brunch, so back to the grind. Not sure if I'll keep this as a quad hauler or not. great 8' wide deck, but kinda heavy at 2700lbs empty.

Calgary? that's Cowtown. we had Expo in '86, you shoulda been here.bit more of a diagonal line from Utah, Calgary is more straight north. you musta decided to go north until you hit snow and ended up in Calgary.

Old 07-01-2004, 05:36 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

Rescue, I like my job too much to tweak my boss that much by asking for a $45-50K truck!

The boss's daughter's old car is toast. Needs a new motor to the tune of $6K on like a '95 Tbird. It went south by first having an injector get stuck open. Flooded out the cylinder (mech. drained 2 quart (yes TWO!) of gas from the oil pan. He gave it a 50-50 chance it would dry out the cylinder (even the cat. was wet). It fouled out a new plug in the cylinder almost immediately. Ended up back at the mech. sucking oil into the cylinder. So it's now sitting in the back of our shop lot. No new car yet...I think he might have had it with her going through cars.

Maybe I can get one of his extras he's got...there's a '99 Lightning (who am I kidding) and a '00 F-150 4x4 (funny man!). Same body style as the Lightning. It's got like a 2" front and 4" rear drop...yes, he dropped a 4x4. But he got it for traction, not wheeling. It wasn't quick enough so in went a super charger and upgrade to the tranny. It does look pretty cool. The a** end was just sitting up WAY too high stock. Looked ugly.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Quick Reply: Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel