Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 12:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

I bought the truck used.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] I'm a po boy that can't affor a new PSD. I'm not sure what happened to the truck before I got it? Maybe someone did a "Maaco" on it?

Yes, I wax it a couple times/year. However, the weather here is pretty harsh. Salt does a number on things.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 09-21-2004, 12:49 PM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: Trasher
Finally got to drag a 26' toy box behind the PSD over the weekend. It pulled nicely and had no problems. Do any of you use the compression braking devices out there? Banks makes one and I have heard of a couple others. I wonder if they are worth it?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
Creator, friend's of ours has a F350 PSD[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]that they pull a 38 foot WeekEnd Warrior with. Last year about this time, they had the banks braking system put on it. When they went to Pismo for Thanksgiving, Joe told me, it made a great difference on how the truck slowed down or stopped. Especially on Cuesta Grade. He had more peace of mind and more confident in his set up[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I have the banks transcommand on mine. It's different then the compression system. This one works electronically. If, I was to get a trailer that was on the upper end, of my capacity for towing, I would seriously look into having the compression system added.

Old 09-21-2004, 12:57 PM
Quad Patrol

Hoss, I forget how long the manufactorer warranty their underbody, think 5 years though. Anyways, when you get the new PSD[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] You need to take it down and have the Rhino bed liner sprayed all over the under carriage. I'm sure it will help slow down the rust from happening. As far as doors and fender panels, need to stay on top of the nicks and scratches[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]Rinse the truck as aften as possible. One thing I don't miss about Chicago, is the way the weather wreaks havoc on the appearance of your cars[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
And in California, Sierra Club stopped Caltrans from using salt. So, we get sand thrown down on the roads in the mtns, when it snows[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-21-2004, 12:59 PM
Pro Rider

I'm sure I have well exceeded my towing capacity and need to put something like that on my PSD. But, it all costs $$$$$

Old 09-21-2004, 12:59 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer
FREE AND NOW are the best

Their are also electromagnetic driveline brakes aswell. their a pretty trick setup. I know a cummins with a manaul and a compression brake on it will lock up the back tires empty in the wet. when it was dry out that friggin thing would stop faster than usin the brakes. or so it seemed ya know. Neck snapping.

Old 09-21-2004, 01:03 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer

Or too keep the body lookin good. Just two tone it with line ex or rhino liner or whatever up the sides. like my little truck i did that on. its sweet.

Old 09-21-2004, 02:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on my dually, i just shift down for extra braking. I think the old trucker's rule of thumb is whatever gear it takes you to go up is the one you use to go down the same grade. but just shifting outta O/D has been good enough for me on some real steep grades with heavy loads. I have 4:10 gears too, so that helps a lot.

in the end, i figured the exhaust brake was a waste of $$.

Hoss, how many times do i have to tell ya, there's a MAJOR pipeline of PSDs and Cummins coming from Canada to the US. Our currency was so horrible, Ford adjusted the Cdn price down. WHolesalers would buy them from the dealers and flip 'em in the states for huge profits. then Ford wouldn't sell to the wholesalers, so they'd get friends to do 6 month leases and basically let them drive the truck for free. anyways, sounds like you got an ex-loggers truck from northern Alberta. Bet you can check the VIN to see where it was originally sold.

we get a similar scam here. In eastern Canada, everything rusts out quick. they dump the cars on the
we(s)tcoast where the values are higher cuz we don't get the rust anywhere near as quick. It rarely snows here. the seller is SUPPOSED to declare the veh. is from outta province (that's like a state [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] ), but the slimy ones don't, plus they'll roll back 60,000 miles.

Old 09-21-2004, 02:21 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer

And that there is why you buy em brand spanking new off the factory floor. or from someone you know who did that.

Old 09-21-2004, 05:14 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer

If anyone was wondering the crazy canadian is really canadian.. and his wife has a sexy voice [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I got introuble for that once already so i figure once yer in hot water keep swimmin [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Maybe Confused wife and mrs Hoss should get together and sing the FBK theme song? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-21-2004, 05:29 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

Rescue CalTrans also dumps sand on a couple of the overpasses and interchanges around Fresno when it gets REALLY cold here as they tend to ice up. Not a good thing when so moron takes one at 70MPH.

Sounds like sanding is a better option. Probably makes more of a mess (muddy mess) but it saves the cars from rusting out. Maybe the SC actually did something good for once. Or did they do that a long time ago before they became a royal pain in the butt?

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Quick Reply: Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel