Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

ALL LOUISIANA RIDERS!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 12:15 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ALL LOUISIANA RIDERS!!

What exactly goes on at an atv jamboree?
Is it a bunch of old people on utility atv's
is it a parade
is it a mixture of utility atv's and sport atv's
ride on pavement or dirt trails or both

I have never been to one just currious. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-22-2004, 12:29 PM
CSG
Trailblazer

learned something Sat. while riding at the Enduro camp in Cravens. In the Kisatchie National Forest ATV's can be no wider then 45". 1+" narrower then the YFZ 450 & 450R. And I found that it is enforced.

Old 03-22-2004, 12:35 PM
Trailblazer

45" ?!?!

well, that rules out my banshee. I have +2 a-arms and wide front rims. Im at 49" at rest, wider if I compress the springs. The Yamaha Rhino (not really an ATV, but sold as one) is 54" wide.

So are the rangers patrolling with a tape measure and writing tickets for a law that no one knows about?

If they want to get picky, they could write tickets to everyone who doesnt have a spark arrestor. Thats a federal law there. Very few aftermarket pipes meet that rule.

Back home they enforced the "bike width" issue by building bridges with 4 foot tall siderails at the maximum width. There were a few trails I couldnt get the banshee on because of that. Couldnt get across the bridge!!

Ima see if GOOGLE cant find anything about that width limit.

Old 03-22-2004, 12:42 PM
Trailblazer

OK, I found THIS PDF OF THE RULES for kisatchie, and it defines an ATV as having an OVERALL width of less than 50" and a NON modified spark arrestor and tires with 10psi of pressure. So, if you got a ticket or "had the rules enforced", you need to take a copy of THEIR OWN PAPERWORK (in the link above) and shove it in their face.

Old 03-22-2004, 12:46 PM
CSG
Trailblazer

The papers in the camp area say 45", spark arrestor, 99db @ 2' & registration.

Old 03-22-2004, 06:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Either they are trying to run all 4wheelers out or there trying to get rid of the bad element.

Old 03-23-2004, 12:04 PM
Trailblazer

Hey Guys I found this on the High Lifter Forum:
Got back from a weekend ride at Camp Claiborne yesterday. The forest police now decided to sit at the trailhead and measure all bikes going onto the trail. They are not enforcing tire height or tread depth, but the width from the outside of tire to tire. 45 inches being the maximum. They have the trail gates cut at about 48-50 inches, but they were sending people home at 45". The reply I got was, "less people to deal with." I, along with a lot of others, just put on the oem's and stayed in spite. Kinda sad that there's a designated mud ridding area (The pits) and they wont let you use good tires. My 28" laws had a outside of 50" according to him, but I was still fitting through the crossing gates. I found out its a old federal regulation that hopefully may be changed. The rangers (one specifically) just don’t like four wheelers, I never seen a dirt bike pulled over yet, but you'll see him harass the 4x4 wheelers constantly (got a letter, email and phone call into the district office about that). Just a heads up.....bring extra tires if you go....just in case. On Sunday they wasn't enforcing, maybe "barney" was off.

Kisatchie Regional Office number:

1-318-473-7160.

When I asked to speak with someone realted to the ATV rules changes in kisatchie, they reffered me to a Jim Caldwell. He did not answer, and the voicemail was a different name, so they may have transfered me wrong.

Everyone needs to call, and POLITELY inquire about the rules changes and express your concerns. Namely, a lack of posting the info to their webpage! or their ATV hotline 1-800 number.

Old 03-23-2004, 06:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

So much for me getting to ride there. The Stock Ds is wider than 45.

Old 03-24-2004, 09:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

most quad i think would be more than 45". The Kisatchie near Natchitoches has a sign that ways must be under 50". But they have never checked us ever for spark arrestor. just to see if we payed our 2 bucks to park. I don't want to step on toes but, tire height and tread depth are the real problem here. Or atleast people using there 28" outlaws to make the trails impassable by anything else

Old 03-29-2004, 06:36 PM
Pro Rider

You are right there I saw a ds in the back of a s10 @ Little Sahara this week and it just looked like the s 10 shoudl have been on the ds[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: ALL LOUISIANA RIDERS!!