Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Hatfield & McCoy Virgins

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 09:35 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hatfield & McCoy Virgins

I've researched the forums in hopes to find info on the H & M trails and while I've found alot of insightful topics there is one question I still need to have answered; What part of the trail network should I ride? I'm heading there for the first time in June along with 10 other riders rom PA. All of us ride sport quads and we usually look for powerlines and hillclimbs. All of us are rather experienced riders and generally ride a variety of terrain. Any input as to what part of the network along with where to stay would be great!

Old 03-11-2007, 11:13 PM
2TV
Pro Rider

If you are all experienced then you can just take your pick. As for being on sport quads you will probably find that you like the green trails better (less rock). I'd recommend avoiding the black trails (a LOT of rock).

The Little Coal River system is the least rocky of the bunch (but it will be quite muddy if there's been a lot of rain). Pinnacle Creek is a good one too since many of it's trails aren't as rough as what you find at Browning Fork, Buffalo Mountain and Dingess Rum. However there are more trail miles at the Browning Fork system than what the others have, and there are plenty of trail miles (the greens and many of the blues) that would still be fun on a sport quad. Even still, the Buffalo Mountain and Dingess Rum system have a lot to offer too. As long as you avoid the black trails you should be OK. Except unless it's been improved, avoid blue trail 48 at Buffalo Mountain as last time I was there it was really rough. There is a new sysem opening up next weekend (Indian Ridge). I hear it is a lot like the Pinnacle Creek system so it should be fine as well.

For a variety, I'd recommend planning for a multiple day stay and pick a different trail system each day. Start out with the easier systems (Little Coal River, Pinnacle Creek or Indian Ridge) then if you find yourself wanting more move on to Browning Fork, Buffalo Mountain and Dingess Rum...

Old 03-12-2007, 09:49 AM
Pro Rider

with the exception of Indian i have ridden evey trail H/M has to offer. by far the BROWNING FORK TRAIL SYSTEM is my favorite #2 would be the DINGESS RUM TRAIL #3 PINNACLE CREEK #4 BUFFALO MOUNTAIN.
there are trails at browning fork that i wont go down on my ltz 400 ,#94 and #29 scare me to death . #17 has a bad habit of turning into mud soup, miles of it ,on a sport quad you wont be able to tell what kind of quad your on.
the trail that i love it #31.
riding in to town is a different experience ,were i from you dare not even cross a road,let a loan ride down one. make sure you have prof of insurance if you ride on the roads , if you get stopped by the cop's you'll find that your home state really frowns on it, on the trail system you wont have any issues.

Old 03-16-2007, 11:16 AM
Weekend Warrior

i have went to the trails your talking about and did not enjoy all the rules and reg. i found a place not far from there and had the time of my life along with 47 of my riding friends.we go ther 3 times a year and have a trip coming up on may24 thru mem. day.u and your friends would enjoy alot better.....camping on site only $5.00 a head a day and encludes a shower and have a full rest. on site,plus u can rent cabins,campers,and even a single wide trailer.. check out web site... pinnacle creek atv campground........

Old 03-16-2007, 01:41 PM
Trailblazer

So what area are you talking about????? We're looking at making the trip in mid-June.