Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

what are these green and red stickers????

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 11:29 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what are these green and red stickers????

Vakero,
you are indeed correct! That's why it is often so difficult and frustrating for people like LTZevil400 and myself to have to deal with the idoitic liberals that occupy our state. Still, we live here and roll with the blows but at least we have a voice and will never be stiffled by any liberal. And now we can at least say that we a Republican for Governor.
I'll be back.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-11-2004, 08:52 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what are these green and red stickers????

Originally posted by: LTZevil400

Thank you for pointing out how long they are good for, like I didn't know that. Good for two years, at certain times! See my point there genius. My point is, WHY should I be restricted when someone from out of state can ride whatever they want whenever they want for $20?

What perks? The ability to ride on land that I pay for through taxes and other fees already. You have a picture of Gorman on your page correct? Your quad is registered correct? What was the $5 for when you rode at Gorman? Thought that was covered in your registration as a "perk" as you put it? What about the $20 I pay to ride Dumont for Pres. Day? Lemme see, nope, not covered by registration fees! Do you have any idea what your registration fees are for? They damn sure don't cover any perks! So before you tell me I should move if I don't like it, think about your reason as to why I should first.

And for the record, I pay for my registration just like you and everybody else. Three quads, motorcycle, two trucks, SUV and a trailer. Yeah I think I can stay for paying my share for all these glorious perks...........Hell, I should have a life membership for as much as I pay!!
Well, you said you paid more for your registration. And I'm saying no, you don't. They pay $20/yr, you pay $12.50/yr (someone noted they upped the fee to $25 for 2 years.) My guess the reason for it being open riding on a non-resident permit is to promote tourism in CA. It's also less of a headache for out-of-state visitors to figure out the oh so archane (tongue firmly in cheak) system of the 8th VIN digit being a C or 3. As evidence by this thread, most people from out of state have no idea what Red/Green stickers are. As far as the length of time, yeah, it's 2 years most of the time. They fixed the date of registration to Jun 30 for all registrations. I'm assuming so this would be easier for people to remember. And it appears that the cut-off for changing years seems to be Dec 31/Jan 1. I was lucky so to speak and my first registration was good for 2 yrs, 4+ mos.

As far as being restricted to when you can ride, well, buy a cleaner burning machine. The Green Sticker is an incentive to purchase a cleaner burning machine, whereas a red sticker is a disincentive.

The fees are $4/day and $6/night camping. That goes towards maintaining the parks, law enforcement, etc. Someone has to clean the bathrooms and pick up the trash at the least. Other places need more maintainance. Trails need a little TLC sometimes. On more than one occasion I've seen Parks running a CAT out at Pismo to move sand around. That's not cheap! There's no way that registration only could pay for the parks. It pays for only 6%, see below. So you pay a paultry fee to Parks for use (3% of costs). That's a bargain.

Dumont, IIRC, is Fed. BLM land. They get some OHV Trust Fund money from the state, but obviously not enough. $20 still sounds like a bargain. I assume you pay like you do at the SVRAs as in per vehicle. Name any other tourism place that $4 or $6/day would get the entire family in? About the closest thing is some National Parks. The only places I've ridden that are cheaper are USFS lands (Stanislaus N.F. and Miami Trails in Sierra N.F.) which are free. They get paultry support from the state, and the trail conditions at Miami show it, but I'll digress.

I wish it broke it down more, but here is where the money goes (for the entire life of the Fund).

A little searching and found Taking the High Road. Where the money comes from (% = amount of Trust Fund Income): $29,775,000 from Gas Tax (81%), $233,000 misc. (1%), $1,26,000 SVRA entrance fees (3%), $2,134,000 OHV Registration Fees (6%), $3,475,000 Earned Interest (9%). As you can see, Registration only covers 6% of what it costs to run the system. Entrance fees pick up 3%. Together that's only 9% of what it costs to run the system. I guess we could scrap registration and entrance fees and just use the interest the trust makes. Though you then just reduced the income by $3.4M. Sounds like a Governator move. Let's Do It! Should be popular! Especially with the Parks employees who will get the ax.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote