Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor Service Manual discrepency

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 01:58 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor Service Manual discrepency

I came across a discrepency between the Raptor Service Manual and the Yamaha Parts Fiche. I replaced the stator in my '02 Raptor this weekend .... I am very conscientous about keeping track of parts that I have removed. As I was putting the Crankcase cover back on I was double checking everything with the Raptor Service Manual and noticed that I was missing a bearing for the starter gear & shaft #2. After searching the garage for an hour - I decided that somehow I had lost it (although I couldn't remember if I had seen one when I removed it to install the new stator) and went on-line to the Yamaha Parts Fiche to get the part # and see if any local Yamaha dealers had it in stock. But on the Yamaha Parts Fiche - they didn't list the bearing at all. I called a couple of Yamaha shops (service departments not open on Sundays) and ended up talking to a couple of parts guys - the only thing I got from them is that the Yamaha Parts Fiche is the only thing they go by. I decided to take a closer look at the starter gear & shaft# 2 and came to the conclusion that a there couldn't have been a bearing based on how tight is fits into the Crankcase cover. Has anyone else come across this?

Greg

Old 02-13-2006, 06:01 PM
Range Rover

I am not sure if I'm talking about the same gear. When I did my LA oneway starter gear swap, I replaced the 2nd gear with a new factory piece as recommended by LA Designs. The new gear did NOT have space for the needle bearing set like the old gear. Instead it had a pressed-in-gear bronze bearing with oil galleys.

Old 02-14-2006, 09:39 AM
Trailblazer

Old 02-14-2006, 09:46 AM
Trailblazer

There is two gears - one of them had the bearing that you are referring to .... on mine it was the one with the shorter shaft - on the Yamaha Parts Fiche - the starter link - it shows it as parts #5, #6 and #7 (http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/parts/home.aspx) and they call it the "gear idler 1". On the same page they show parts #3 and #4 and call it "gear idler 2". If you notice there is no bearing for that gear. In the Raptor Service Manual they show a bearing for both gears?

Old 02-14-2006, 11:30 AM
Range Rover

I see what you're talking about. Unfortunatly I cannot remember if that 3rd gear had bearings. I was going to check LA Designs page on replacing the gear but I cannot find the site. They HAD several photos of the gears installed without the cover.

Old 02-14-2006, 12:35 PM
Pro Rider

01 Raptors had bearings in the big 52T gear and newer raptors use a brass bushing. Maybe the service manual you have is for an 01?

Old 02-14-2006, 04:24 PM
Range Rover

He is talking about the other gear, one down from the 52T unit.

Trending Topics

Old 02-15-2006, 09:48 AM
Trailblazer

Well I put it back together and fired it up .... it didn't blow up :-) ..... so I am going to assume that the Service Manual is incorrect. The one thing I did notice is when putting that second gear back on is that it was a tight fit .... didn't look like there would be enough room for a bearing if there was one.

Old 02-28-2006, 04:34 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both the factory and clymer service manual are based upon the 01 model and some parts were carried over from manuals for the old xt660 bike. Expect things like that to pop up every once in a while. Heck, on some pages the picture of the head looks like the old four valve one.

Old 02-28-2006, 05:30 PM
Trailblazer

Interesting - I had thought that when they released the '01 Raptor that it was a brand new motor. I didn't realize that it was derived from another bike. That's basically the same thing they did with the original Banshee motor.